Question re: Endometrial Biopsy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question re: Endometrial Biopsy? Question re: Endometrial Biopsy?

Unread 02-15-2007, 08:37 PM
Question re: Endometrial Biopsy?

I'm just curious....from a lot of what I read, many are diagnosed with hyperplasia w/ atypia during an endometrial biopsy and subsequently cancer is sometimes found....but I haven't seen many being diagnosed with cancer directly from the biopsy. I've heard that this is because the biopsy is 'blind' and you catch the atypical cells easily, but not necessarily the cancer itself. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-15-2007, 09:18 PM

I know several women who were diagnosed with endo cancer via a biopsy.

I'm sure that there are times when the biopsy could miss the cancer, but I haven't met anyone who has had that happen.

Best,
Janie
Unread 02-16-2007, 03:08 AM

Hi- my biopsy just showed the abnormal cells...and my dr said that I had uterine cancer. After the surgery, my oncolgist said,..you have 2 locations of cancer in the uterus, a different cancer of the cervix, and a tumor next to a lymph channel..so that your dianoses is endometrial cancer stage 2B. And that was all determained after my surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-16-2007, 10:54 AM

I have spent 7 years on the endo cancer board and there were several ladies there who had a negative biopsy but was found to have endo cancer after hyst for bleeding. I would say this is rare but it does happen. And for endo cancer pap smears are very often negative when cancer is present. I had a pap and internal/external ultrasound which all were negative for cancer. Then 8 months later (bad doctor here) I finally had a biopsy and the cancer was found.

I suppose all tests can have false negative/positive results. That is why you need to keep in touch with your own body and when you feel more testing is needed you have to be agressive and demand more.

Good luck,
Juanita
Unread 02-16-2007, 12:57 PM

My cancer was diagnosed through an endo biopsy.

I went in for a D&C and hysteroscopy and as soon as the doc got in there knew something wasn't right, did the biopsy, sent it directly to path, aborted the D&C, and scheduled my hyst. as soon as I came out of the anesthesia.
Unread 02-16-2007, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrnEyedLdy
My cancer was diagnosed through an endo biopsy.

I went in for a D&C and hysteroscopy and as soon as the doc got in there knew something wasn't right, did the biopsy, sent it directly to path, aborted the D&C, and scheduled my hyst. as soon as I came out of the anesthesia.
Do you know how lucky you are. That D&C could have spread your cells as it did with me.

This is why it is so important to have a dr who is up on cancer. Wish I had even known at the time what an onc was...oh, well.
Unread 02-16-2007, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaGa
Do you know how lucky you are. That D&C could have spread your cells as it did with me.

This is why it is so important to have a dr who is up on cancer. Wish I had even known at the time what an onc was...oh, well.
I didn't know a d & c could make the disease spread!? I had the "classic" dx. First PAP abnormal (20% of all can come back abnormal), followup 6 months later normal, uterine biopsy found complex hyperplasia w/atypia (hyst recommended at that point), then d & c with hysteroscope found adenocarcinoma. When I got my d & c results there was talk about cervix contamination. At first they were not sure if I also had a cervix cancer, if the uterine cancer had spread to the cervix, or if it was uterine cancer matter deposited there when the instruments used for the d & c were being pulled out. The substitute onc before my surgery told me he highly doubted that I had any cancer in the cervix. However, now I don't know why my cervix was removed, other than prevention in the future, same reason for removing my ovaries? ...I don't remember now. However, I still just do not know if a d & c could have potentially spread uterine cancer. hmmmmm?
Unread 02-16-2007, 09:31 PM

Thanks for all the helpful posts. I asked the original questions because I had an Endo Biopsy showing Complex Hyperplasia w/ Atypia. Have been having problems for 2+ yrs w/ painful and/or irregular periods. Treated off/on with Provera (bleh!!) My OBGYN wants me to start Prometrium for 3 months. I have significant familial cancer. When I faxed more detailed family history to him and asked if we should discuss potentially changing the treatment plan given that history....now he won't return my phone calls and has always been responsive in the past. Totally unbelievable! I think he thinks I'm going to sue him or something....all I wanted was a discussion and perhaps a referral to GYN ONC. Anyway....that is my plan....to see a GYN ONC. I rec'd recc's from my Internist (a GOOD dr!) and will see GYN ONC asap. Yeesh!
Unread 02-16-2007, 09:48 PM

Concerning your original post, at the time of my biopsy finding I learned that about 30% of of women dx'd with complex hyperplasia w/atypia WILL develop uterine cancer at some point in time. Some, mostly younger, can reverse and go back to normal readings. Left untreated, those in the middle need to be closely watched. Mine turned out to be cancer, and I don't think that just happened in the month between biopsy and d & c. So yeah, the biopsy said something was up, but it didn't tell the whole story.
Unread 02-16-2007, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaGa

Actually I was even luckier than you think because the doctor who diagnosed me is just a gyn.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register