Hysterectomy dates Feb 19-Feb 26,2007 - Page 17 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Feb 19-Feb 26,2007 Hysterectomy dates Feb 19-Feb 26,2007

Unread 03-10-2007, 02:08 AM
hello everyone

Isn't the time going quickly! I am so suprised that I still feel so ordinary! I read to compare how I feel with how I felt on day 1, but I can't help feeling frustrated that I still feel so tired so long after the rest of my family are bored of my recuperation!
It's becoming harder and harder not to over-do things. I think as there are no external signs of my operation, family tends to forget that I have had major surgery. DH is back at work as of today so I feel that the expectation is to get back to normal now. I am putting that pressure on myself too but my body and tiredness levels have a way of pulling me up.
I woke up in the morning the last few days and the op is not the first thing I think about.
I delayed going back to work til next Thursday but driving still makes me really 'tired' around the operation site ,even though I am cleared for it. I also have occasional shooting pains in the vagina, particularly before I have a BM, these are really annoying and a reminder to take things easy I guess. Still no stitches...**** things, I am becoming obsessed now others are mentioning they have seen some!
The back ache is pretty dire too. Have my hot pack on hand, especially in the evenings.
Anyways, thanks for letting me have a whinge....my family are ''over it'' so glad for your ears!
Best of luck to all for a speedy recovery
raggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2007, 09:47 AM
Hysterectomy dates Feb 19-Feb 26,2007

Ok, well today is suppose to be the magic day I've been waiting for. Day one of week three! The surgical consultant told me that the first week would be horrible and that I would not be able to do anything (she was right), the second week I would feel better but still would not be able to do anything(she was right)....but the third week...I would be back to myself, just need to follow the restrictions set forth by the doctor! So, here it is...the magical day....and my hopes have been dashed(she was wrong). I can't even stand up straight yet! Every time I stand up I get dizzy, I have no strength. To top everything off, I saw my neurologist yesterday and told him how horrible my legs and arms have been since surgery...he told me that is common! That I am having a flare up due to surgery. In the back of my head I'm thinking...shouldn't someone have mentioned that! I called him ahead of time and told him I was having this done, asked him to call me if there was anything I should be aware of...would have been nice to be prepared!! So, here I sit trying to figure out how I am possibly going to be ready for my parents coming to visit on Wednesday and my son's 16th b-day party on the 17th. I have to be ready to entertain about 40-50 people! Well, I guess I will do my best to keep up the recovery process and pray that week 4 will be magical so that I can keep up with all the teenagers that will be running thru my house!!

On the good note, I took off the steri strips today. They were really aggrevating me! I got to take my first good look at my new scar. My doctor is amazing!! I look like a cat scratched me!! I had a scar there from 3 previous surgeries. It was ugly. I asked him if he could do something about it. So, he cut it out and made me a new one! At least I have something good to remember today!

Thanks for listening!!

Keri
Unread 03-10-2007, 09:04 PM

You gals are right! It really does help to read your stories! I too, have one side of my belly hurting a lot.. The doc said he tied something in knots but I forgot to ask what!!! I was so glad that someone mentioned it here. I thought he tied my organs back together or something!!!

I've been cleared for driving and it's only a little past my second week.. I still fatigue but it's decreasing.. the "indoor" pain has lessened quite a bit.. and I'm trying to push myself to walk each day a little.. seems like the more I do a little and THEN rest, the quicker I heal.. I did this same procedure for cervical spine fusion three years ago and healed a lot faster than the doc expected.. so easy does it but do try to walk!

The woman who said about the lady in the hospital having a party with you.. that made me chuckle.. thank you.. it feels so good to not be alone knowing you guys are all here.

I had TERRIBLE night sweats out of the hospital.. however, I truly believe it was not the menapause issue but rather coming down off the medications.. anesthisia and morphine has some withdrawal components.. I researched it and one of them is night sweats.. so mine stopped several days after the last day in the hospital.. and I was having to change my pj's twice a night in my pained state..

Just started the hormone replacement premarin.. where is everyone in that process? I would love to hear.. thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2007, 10:22 PM

I had night sweats, and no sleep.. Dr. gave estrace to heal quicker, she dont like premarin, because of what happens to the new born foals. Also gave me Estrasorb she said is soy based. Feel better today actually got to sleep last night first time in a week, and no sweats. Don't really think it is meno related, but time will tell.
Sleep well all sisters and have a good day.
Unread 03-11-2007, 08:39 AM

It is great hearing from all of you, I will be two weeks post-op on Tuesday. I am feeling pretty darn good. I have been out a little with friends and am walking good. My fatigue is much better--I was normally falling asleep in my chair in the evenings about 9:00 and I haven't the last 4 nites. My incision is sore, on the left side- seems like the stitches are pulling a little. My stitches don't have to be removed, they will dissolve. I've had no hot flashes or night sweats due to my dr. placing a hormone patch on me during surgery. Happy Recovery!!
Unread 03-11-2007, 09:27 AM

Dear Raggy,

Please, please don't push yourself too fast. Give yourself a time frame of 8 weeks before you CONSIDER letting yourself resume your normal activities. Try not to feel frustrated or feel guilty because of your activity level. Just because your family has become bored with your recovery period doesn't mean you should ignore the signals your body is sending to you on a daily basis. You should be working within your time frame and not their expectations. I had my hysto the same day as you and although I feel better day by day, I still tire easily and often take 1-2 hour naps if I've done just a few simple things around the house that normally wouldn't have an affect on me at all. The worst thing you could do is push yourself too soon and have a relapse. Please remember this was "major surgery" and although you may be healing quickly on the outside, your insides haven't forgotten the trauma they've experienced. All your sisters know what you are going through because we are living the experience with you on a daily basis and I personally give you permission to take is slow and listen to body's signals. Stay well and be strong. Hugs, Debra
Unread 03-11-2007, 09:57 AM

Dear Kerbear,

Please don't be discouraged over your recovery period. We are all different and recover at a different pace. As I mentioned to "Raggy," we mustn't forget that we have experienced major surgery and it is going to take time for us to heal. If you were to recall back to your first week postop, I think you will remember that you have made improvements, they just may be baby steps and not giant strides. Your mental attitude is going to play a tremendous role in your recovery period so please try to have a positive outlook. We are all following the same pathway to recovery so you mustn't feel that you are all alone. I'm sure you are deeply concerned about your son's 16th birthday party, but sincerely believe your family and friends will come to your aid with party activities if you ask for help. Don't start beating yourself up because your recovery has not met your expectations. I had my hysto three days before you and although I am quite mobile I couldn't imagine entertaining 40-50 people on the 17th with my limited energy levels. Stay focused and accept your limitations for now. You will continue to gain strength and mobility day by day. Hugs, Debra

P.S. Glad to hear your happy with the look of your incision. I'm pretty pleased with mine as well.
Unread 03-11-2007, 01:48 PM

Thanks for the encouragement Debra. I just want to feel better. I only see my parents once a year and I want to be able to do everything I can. I also don't want to ruin the party and I am so afraid of that. I just got home from doing party shopping. We went to the first place and my DH told me that we needed to go home, but I said no. I told him next store, he would push me in a wheel chair. Then I was fine.

And now a question for all....
Believe it or not I'm actually having problems with my incision now. When my DH got home last night I wanted to show it to him because I was excited. He noticed something wrong that I couldn't see and that he couldn't see before because of all the steri strips. Part of the incision has not healed right. I don't know what is wrong, but it is like I have a little flap of skin. My DH says it doesn't look infected, but there is something seeping from it. And ever since he looked at it, now it hurts! So, I am trying to just leave it alone and wait for my appt. on Tues. Guess I just still have that fear that I will open up! Anyone else have wacky things happening with their incisions?

Keri
Unread 03-11-2007, 02:00 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing pain on one side. My left side hurts and now I'm having an unusual discharge which just won't stop; anyone else? Hopefully my visit on Wed. will shed some light on this. To the lady having the birthday party, allow youself to take it easy; 50 guests is a whole lot! You mentioned that your parents are coming to visit. They are coming to help you, right? Let them. My parents came here to help me and I allowed them to do whatever they were willing to do. They asked for some direction a few times but I just let them run my household their way while I tried to relax. My oldest turned 5 the day after I came home and a party was held in my house; I pretended I was an invited guest and just handed the reins over to my mom. Now, this party consisted only of my 3 and 4 other children with parents present. I was still in a pain killer fog, swollwen and not standing straight and think it was pretty clear that I was not going to be able to do very much. But still it was exhausting having people all over my house. Even the uncles who stayed to pick up afterwards were wearing on my nerves by the end. I'm sure you can explain to a 16 year old that mom is not up to par and has to take it easy. My 5 year old is still peeking under my shirt and asking if my belly button still hurts.
In a few weeks we will al be feeling so much stronger. I can't wait until this is just a memory. We'll say, "Oh, yes, I had a hyterectomy a while back, best thing I ever did".
Unread 03-11-2007, 02:26 PM

I keep telling myself that exact same thing....one day it will be a distant memory! I can't wait to feel the benefits! And I really can't wait to see if I can have sex without crying! One day......

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register