Hysterectomy dates Feb 19-Feb 26,2007 - Page 25 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Feb 19-Feb 26,2007 Hysterectomy dates Feb 19-Feb 26,2007

Unread 03-21-2007, 04:25 PM
Self-Cleaning

I don't see many dust bunnies, but there sure are lots of cobwebs... crumbs in the keyboard and on the couch. I keep wearing the same pair of sweat pants. They were white until I started the habit of wiping my hands on them when I eat. Flavored chips and chocolate cookies lift your spirits only so far. Anyone else cry over small things or doctor bills? I'm living alone, separated from my husband (and kids), and don't have a shoulder to cry on. I'm hoping the weather here in Cleveland gets better, so I can get out in the fresh air and start drying those tears.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2007, 05:45 PM
Hysterectomy dates Feb 19-Feb 26,2007

Ahhhh Nightie, Let me start with a great big And offer you a shoulder!!

I too cry at times over some of the smallest things. A commercial on TV, a song, but I do seem to be a bit more on the frustrated side of things. I think that since my DH has went back to work and I now am caring for the little ones by myself, I tend to get frustrated. Its like even if I am supposed to be resting I dont have time to do it. I find my self doing more than I should at this point, but I dont have a choice. Am I selfish for wanting more time to heal and rest???
Unread 03-21-2007, 06:36 PM
Light at the end of the tunnel

I'm 4 weeks post op tomorrow (TAH, kept ovaries). My family has been absolutely fabulous in helping to keep me in recovery mode. I'm having a good recovery and wanted to share my experience with everyone, especially the pre-op women who read the post-op boards to get clues on what they're facing. I had a good surgeon, a supportive family, and have been careful to follow all medical instructions.

I've been resting, eating healthy, walking every day, taking my vitamins and my fibre, and catching up on my reading and DVD watching. My children have all been assigned household chores and have actually been doing them(with prompting). My husband is supportive and picks up necessities and groceries on the way home from work. The house isn't perfect, but I've learned to lower my standards temporarily and turn a blind eye to things that aren't exactly the way I would do them and just thank the children for the efforts they are making.

My recovery is going very well, according to both my OB/GYN and my homeopathic doctor. My homeopathic doctor was surprised at how well I was doing post-op since I guess surgery is usually so invasive that it can cause system wide issues.

I haven't had any bleeding. My incision has healed nicely. It's still itchy, but that's to be expected. I only have minor cramping or the occasional twinge at the surgical site. I still take Motrin occasionally if the cramps start to make me cranky. I have been cleared to drive, but I've limited my driving to essential appointments when my husband is not available.

My hormones have returned to their normal ups and downs. Since I was able to keep my ovaries, my doctor told me that I should experience my usual monthly pattern of hormone fluxuations. I'm tired often in the afternoon and have fallen into the habit of afternoon naps. I'm not going to want to give those up anytime soon.

A couple more weeks of this and I'm hoping I can go back to my yoga class and re-clean the kitchen my way.

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!

GeekChick545
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2007, 08:25 PM

I had my surgery on February 20th - TAH/BSO. I had nausea the first night (and a nurse that didn't seem to care) but they put something in my IV and that was gone. I had great bowel sounds - but nothing coming out. Finally on Thursday my doc said she was going to prescribe something for the IV and suppositories - no sooner did she walk out than the plumbing started working - I got to come home on Friday - they wanted to make sure I could handle solid food. I'm sorry but do they intentionally make hospital food all look like mystery meat????

I started walking at 2 weeks + 1 day - seemed that my energy increased a huge amount at that point. I'm up to 2.5 miles.

The back pain that I'd been experiencing for the last few months is gone - I noticed that the day after the surgery. Nothing had really grown since my ultrasound in November - but I had a bunch of adhesions that was causing a lot of my discomfort. I started out with a cyst on my left ovary at the ultrasound and had one on the right when they got in there.

Anyways, this is my first post since the surgery. I want to thank everybody that was there for me prior to the surgery and wish everyone well who's still healing or considering the surgery. I have been able to get rid of my stash of supplies that were in my suitcases, purses, briefcase, you name it! No more FLO!
Unread 03-22-2007, 09:29 AM
Four weeks and 2 days, but who's counting?

Feb. 20 was my surgery date, same as my new friend Miamiu. We found out so much about each other in private posts and calls, and it seems that IF we were next-door neighbors ( instead of across the country) we would probably spend a lot of time at the fence. The gifts of the HS site go beyond friendship, as the information has been so helpful both before and after the surgery. Where else can one go and discuss bodily functions (or malfuntions) publicly? Thank you, HS.

My recovery has been boring, but easy. I am blessed in a left-handed way with rheumatoid arthritis (RA). Because of the RA, I have developed a high tolerance for pain. I spent 2 nights in the hospital after a total abdominal hysterctomy with everything removed but the fun part. Once home, I took oxycotin for a day and decided it was icky feeling drunk and quit those pills. Another blessing of RA is pain medication knowledge and availability! I take a pill called Tramadol (Ultracet) twice a day that knocks the edge off of pain without knocking you out. I resumed that medication and was able to tolerate the discomfort of the surgery. BTW, the doctor allowed me to resume all my meds (and I take a handful twice a day) for RA immediately after surgery.

I have had constant bright red bleeding (just mini-pad stuff) since the surgery. It's like after a cesarean...you do too much and the growing spot on the minipad will let you know. Getting tired of bleeding and wearing pads and also becoming concerned, I realized during week 3 that perhaps my anti-inflammatory I take for arthritis could be the culprit, as it is an asprin based drug, so I discussed this with my doctor and stopped the pills. The bleeding decreased and then changed from red to a brownish color, and now to a thinner brown color, like perhaps a scab is forming somewhere deep in there. The doctor is not concerned and continues to advise, no worries unless there's an odor. Some of my RA medication that I take make healing slow, but without it I cannot function. Not taking the anti-inflamms has been difficult, but since there is no more fresh blood, I reintroduced them again today and will watch and see. So I continue to shop in the femine hygene aisle and purchase those little pads. I found my favorite to be by Always in a little purple packet, as there is no back to remove from the sticky part - the packaging is the backing. Easily bothered with allergies, I learned by accident that this brand's "fresh scent" doesn't bother me.

Being naturally high-energy and sociable, sitting around the house has been my biggest challenge in recovery. Although I do not work a full-time job (I'm a tour guide, I sell makeup via home parties, and I'm a travel agent/office manager at my oldest friend's agency), I miss being out and about and seeing people. My only at-home neighbor has four small children and I occasionally wandered over there to watch her zoo in action. Regarding loss of energy and stamina, this was the biggest shock of all in recovery. I learned to pace myself and stop when my body begged me to, or pay the price the next day feeling like I'd been hit by a truck. Now that I am feeling so much better, actually feeling normal, I assume I will have all the old stamina I used to, then get the shock of realizing halfway down a shopping aisle that I may not make it to the end or to a chair to take a rest. Regaining energy is like rebuilding muscle. You can't take off running if you've halted to a crawl for weeks. One must build back up.

I chose to take bio-medical hormones (Estradiol) and the drenching hot flashes I experienced shortly after surgery day came to a screeching halt when I started the pills. I never experienced mood swings or tears, but that's alien to me in my normal life anyway. I never had emotional PMS, just PAIN. I have forgotten to take my little pill a couple of times and wonder if the strange, almost dizzy feeling of numbed hearing and scalp, plusthe roof of my mouth gets tingly (this is what I feel like if I jump up too fast with low blood pressure) is the feeling one gets when the hormone pill is missed. I spend a day in the hospital with those complaints and they could not come to any conclusion of my ailment. I'm having those feelings again today and realized that I missed yesterday's pill. PS- my blood pressure is low but normal for me, always around 105/60, and I haven't been jumping up from my chair.

SO, the roses I planted before my surgery are blooming, the sun is shining, and the birds are singing. I feel like I found the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow when I realize that I would have had another two monsterous and painful periods by now.

I love my work as a tour director to large groups of high school marching bands that visit the Central Florida area theme parks. I jusst accepted three 4-5 day jobs that will include the last three weekends in April. First of all, this is a high energy job, requiring a big voice and lots of troubleshooting and running around. I don't just go to parade at Disney and Universal, but also to make sure their trip goes smoothly and timely. Never would I have ever been able to accept these jobs so closely together without checking my "period" calendar and worrying that I'd start. I always had a backpack with extra slacks, underwear, and sanitary protection, just in case. This is a new freedom and I am so glad I decided to go ahead with the surgery!
Unread 03-25-2007, 10:27 AM

I am now a couple days past 4 weeks! It seems hard to believe that 4 weeks ago today I was fighting with nurses to let me out of the hospital!! It feels like it just happened. My incision has finally closed up completely, which is a relief! But, I am still very tender and it still hurts to wear normal clothes. Especially underpants! I just can't seem to find a pair that doesn't bother me some how!! The only thing I have found comfortable was my DH's boxer shorts! I am trying to walk around more and get out of the house. I can handle about 30 mins on my feet before I feel like I am going to fall apart. I also have found sitting on bleachers.....not good!!! I still have a lot of sensitivity on my tummy and upper pelvic area. The doc says that's where I was stretched and pulled. I was hoping that would be going away by now. My DH keeps telling me a couple more weeks and he's betting I will be back to normal. I really hope so, cause I'm getting nervous. We have a wonderful vacation planned and it is 6 weeks away. A whole week on a cruise in the caribbean away from the stresses of life!!! Sure don't want to ruin it by not being able to walk around!!

Hope everyone is having good luck on their recoveries!!

Keri
Unread 03-25-2007, 06:35 PM

Kerbear,

Our surgeries was close together, I will be 4 wks on Tues. I have been getting out with kids and girl friends for the last week, I just try not to overdo it---sometimes I have and have suffered later. I was having trouble with hormone patch, and sleeping--my dr changed my hormone to pill and I have only had one terrible day and night. Things are much better. I'm sure you will continue to gain strength, just be patient. Best wishes.
Unread 03-26-2007, 01:09 PM
Heigh **, back to work I go

I've been cleared to return to work on April Fool's day - kinda appropriate. My post-op appointment went well and just began ERT. I'm giving myself this week to "break in" the hormone. Coughing hurts and still numb around the incision ridge and below. Gotta take it easy with lifting, etc. awhile longer. Thursday will be the end of my 5th week. Wahoo! So, I had a Big Mac to celebrate (gonna have gas this evening). Take care and the scars will fade in time!
Unread 03-26-2007, 09:30 PM

You go nighty!!! Here's my scoop:

Tomorrow will be 5 weeks post op. Yesterday I was feeling so good. I was thinkin' wow, I'm getting my "mojo" back!! Woo hooo!! Energy is back!!! Walked on the treadmill and even went up a notch!!

THEN WHAM!!!! Today, nuttin'.. want to lay down.. don't want to do anything and I hurt now!! What the heck!! I know, I know.. slow down hotshot.. why am I in such a hurry.. before the surgery, all I was thinking about was, I finally get some time to just be with me.. read, write, relax. HA!
Unread 03-27-2007, 07:08 AM

Same here! I was hurting really bad yesterday. My DH told me yesterday to make sure I take it easy today. Told me to make sure I just lay around and do nothing. I don't know what more "nothing" there is to do! If I do anymore "nothing" I will go crazy!!

Keri

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register