Isn't it funny... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Isn't it funny... Isn't it funny...

Unread 02-20-2007, 03:23 AM
Isn't it funny...

...how a little validation about what you are doing, by your mother, can help clear any lingering doubts?!!!
I went for a bilateral mammagram and unilateral ultrasound today; and just before I went, I told my family what has been going on with my health. They knew I hadn't been well, but had no idea, to the extent.
Well after talking about everything and the various complications; my mother, who does not advocate hysterectomies, told me I should have it, as it looked like the only way I was going to be able to start rebuilding my health. It was amazing what those few words did to me, mentally. I now feel ready to book the surgery date. In fact, I walked up the hall to my Ob/Gyn/Uro's office today, just after the mamm / ultrasound, and made an appointment to see him next week. (Can't get in sooner, unfortunately. I may have been able to get a closer date if the other receptionist was there, as she usually tries to squeeze me in where she can. Uh well, nevermind.) I think he will be relieved. I know I am, now I have made the decision.
I have some things to sort out, so I am looking to book a date around July.
Thanks for putting up with my recent indecision. You are all wonderful, and supportive ladies. I am so very grateful to have found this site.
Best wishes to all the soon-to-be Princesses, and welcome home to all the newly crowned Princesses. You are all in my thoughts and prayers.

Snowflake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2007, 04:41 AM
Isn't it funny...

Having understanding people in your life can make all the difference!

My daughter, friends, and co-workers were all very supportive. My mother and sister (who have a hyster 2 months prior to mine), were unbelievably negative about my having it. My mother even went so far as to tell me that I would be sprouting hair everywhere. I just shook my head, and proceeded with the surgery.

But, besides my daughter, guess who my two visiters at the hospital were... My mother and sister. They were right there waiting while I was having the surgery. They have been great as I have gone through my recovery, and I can honestly say that I am closer to my mother these days, that I have been since I was a child.

The moral of my story is, you need to do what is right for you, and don't let others distract you from what needs to be done for your health. They do come around, and if not, well shame on them!
Unread 02-20-2007, 04:49 AM
Isn't it funny...

Snowflake, I'm so glad that your mom is being supportive in this...It really does make a huge difference to have someone totally on your side and affirming you each step of the way! My mom is in Florida (I'm in Oregon) and I'm really going to miss her being here...*sniff*

Odd thing, Dutchess, I had the same reaction from my sister (who had a hyst years ago) she was very negative when I first mentioned the possibility...but now that the decision is made, she's on board being helpful and sweet...Wonder why they react that way?
Blessings,
Janice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2007, 07:36 AM
Isn't it funny...

My mother was the very first person I called when I got out of my doctor's office after I found out I would need a hysterectomy. LOL I told my husband, "Sorry I called her first, but I NEEDED a woman's perspective." LOL He was totally cool with it of course. She immediately made me feel that it was good decision. She brought it to my attention all of the things that run in my family that I wouldn't have to worry about in my life after having the hysterectomy done. She is always the greatest support for me no matter what is going on in my life. Though I wouldn't have cared if she disagreed with the decision, I would set it up regardless. You are right though, there is just something about having your mother's support that can reassure any doubts you have. I am lucky enough to have my mother here in town. I know she and my dad will be there with my husband before I go in, and they will be there when I come out. My mom is even risking the chance that she might miss the birth of my little sister's baby (due March 5th) just to be here for me and my sister-in-law as we go through our surgeries only 2 days apart from each other. Man, I need a tissue now! I think I'm going to have to call my mom and retell her just how much I love her and how lucky I am to have her!
Unread 02-22-2007, 04:37 PM
Isn't it funny...

dutchess0707, Shalom and theragen,
Thank you all for posting.
It is amazing how sometimes, those we love, are not very supportive. I am lucky to have a very supportive family, even if they don't always agree with me.
I am pleased dutchess, that your mother and sister came around, and were there when you needed them after the surgery.
I am pleased your sister is finally being supportive, Shalom, but sad, you won't have your mum nearby. If you need her though; she will be just a phonecall away.
theragen, I am so pleased you will have your parents and husband with you! It is great having your parents in the same town. I know I feel so lucky to have mine here. I know how you feel. I love my mum and dad to bits. Nothing is too much trouble.
I think when you have a close bond with your mother, you like to think they approve of the things you are doing; and I think part of me thought she was thinking I was taking the easy option, when I could possibly try other alternatives. Thankfully, after I told her the facts surrounding my particular condition and the damage it is causing, she realized mine was a totally necessary one, and is now happy for me to have it.
Thanks again ladies for you replies; I am so very grateful for your support and understanding.
Best wishes to you all.

Snowflake
Unread 02-22-2007, 10:17 PM
Isn't it funny...

Snowflake, You are right about my mother...she spoke to me by phone the day before surgery, had flowers sent to me in the hospital and spoke to me again by phone while I was still in the hospital...It really lifted my spirits to talk with her...this is the first time I've ever gone through surgery without her being there...*sniff, sniff*...

I was also blessed to have hubby, my sis, and a dear lifelong friend around....My 18 year old DD is also here taking care of me and the household (what a blessing she is) Having people around who love and support you makes all the difference in the world!
Blessings,
Janice
Unread 02-23-2007, 02:02 AM
Isn't it funny...

Welcome home!
What a wonderful support team, Shalom!
You are indeed very lucky. It would have been lovely receiving flowers and a phonecall from your Mum whilst in hospital.
How are you feeling? I have not seen any post-op post by you yet. I will go have a look in a minute.
I hope you are getting plenty of rest; and make sure you allow your family to pamper you for as long as possible...you know the drill...you only get one chance to heal correctly.
Take care.

Snowflake

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register