4 weeks post and lifting??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

4 weeks post and lifting??? 4 weeks post and lifting???

Unread 06-12-2001, 03:00 AM
4 weeks post and lifting???

Hi to all my sisters...

Well I'm 4 weeks post almost and today i decided to get up off the couch and do the housework... this included, beds (changing)
kitty litter, floors (washing & vacuuming) cleaned the bathrooms and cleaned out the fridge.
I know there was some lifting, bending in this, but I am getting so frustrated with not doing much.

I have a fair bit of soreness in my lower back. Is this normal at this stage?

It's so amazing how the family thinks I should be totally back to normal by now. Has anyone else experienced this??

anyway the Doc. said I could gradually build up to about 50% capacity now, trouble is how much is too much?

Thanks to All of you for your tremendous support.

Judi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-12-2001, 04:45 AM

Judi,

Whoa there sister...too much, the pillow police can still sweep down on you. JMHO

Don't work to the point of pain, if it's too late and you feel pain, stop! You only have one chance to heal, don't underestimate the time it takes.

When I was newly punctured, what I heard was if the outside is healed fully, that's not just stitches out mind you, the inside takes even longer...it's dark and damp in there.

Be good to your body so all your troubles will be left behind.

My Best,
Kimberly
Unread 06-12-2001, 05:59 AM

Judi,
I, too, am 4 weeks post-op (TVH). I have been known to overdo it as well. My husband has been real good about doing most of the housework, but me being me, when he was not around I vacuumed. Twice so far, (It was just a small area in the living room). The first time my lower back and insides hurt. The second time it was ok. Yesterday, hubby and I cleaned the house, but he did all the vacuuming, I dusted and cleaned the toilets and sinks. I laid around in the afternoon and evening watching TV, so I didn't think I did too much. But for some reason, I am hurting today. Also at the 4 week mark I have been told that is when the stitches start to dissolve, and your muscles inside are at their weakest point. Judi, you did over do! Maybe from now on you can just do one cleaning job a day instead of all at once. I wouldn't vacuum for a couple more weeks at least. (Do as I say, not as I do! LOL). My family thought I should be "normal" too, but I explained to my family that even though I may look fine, inside I am doing a lot of healing and if I do too much I may have to have more surgery. I am constantly reminding my husband about it, and tell him when I hurt from doing too much. We just have to be sure they realize that we are recovering from major surgery that affects us inside our bodies! As they say, this is the only chance we have to heal right, so we better take it easy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-12-2001, 07:34 AM

Please be careful...Kimberly Kub is right.
Unread 06-12-2001, 09:02 AM

Sisters, PLEASE ease up on the housework! You may think you feel well enough to do it, and it might not even hurt WHILE you're doing it, but as you've discovered, you might not even feel the damage for another day. Why set your recovery back when you want to heal properly and get back to normal as soon as possible. Really, ladies, these chores can wait! Your health is the most important thing.

If you think you are frustrated now (from not doing enough), how frustrated do you think you'll be when you find out you have set yourself back and have to wait even longer to resume your normal life?

Of course your families think you should be back to normal, because you're doing all this housework...what else would they think? You are sending mixed signals to them. You should still be lounging around, giving yourself the best chance to heal. Vacuuming, and scrubbing sinks and toilets all put too much stress on tender, healing tissues. You have had MAJOR surgery, ladies. Early recovery is 6 to 8 weeks long. You are now under surveillance by the Pillow Police, so be good princesses and get back to resting!

My very best to all...

Linda
Unread 06-12-2001, 01:12 PM
Housework

Hi,

Listen to your body....if it hurts...don't do it.

I cleaned, vacumned, took care of the 4 cats, dog, worked out on my stationary bike, etc from week 2 on.
Was careful on lifting anything over 15 lbs or so.

Cleared for normal activity at 6 weeks. Riding my bicycle approx. 20 miles a day now.

TAH

Jen Escorcia
Unread 06-12-2001, 01:58 PM
Same Place as You

Hi,

I tried the work thing I was talking about yesterday. I was up and down off of the floor and felt fine and feel fine today. The only place I am sore is just above my knees. I am hoping these muscles are seperate from others. I used my arms and my legs. Of course I am scared today and don't think I am going to touch anything but a cash register the rest of the week Hope you are doing fine otherwise? I scared myself so bad I stayed in bed till 2 today.

Best Wishes,
Unread 06-12-2001, 03:25 PM
PS

Myst,

I wouldn't do the lifting thing especially with the cat litter and also the vacuming thing. I am not lifting anything in boxes at work and made my mother change the cat box and take the litter to the dumpster. Lower back muscles may involve the adominal muscles. My doctor was very specific on the lifting part. Don't get in trouble with being a shopaholic. I can see where the internet could be a dangerous place when one is stuck at home. Ha!Ha!Ha!

Have a Mousy Day,

Andrea (alr)
Unread 06-12-2001, 05:45 PM

Myst,

I second everything Linda says. You are doing way too much. At this point you should still be resting, and doing nothing. I did nothing for 6 weeks and I have had a great recovery. In fact I am convinced that is why I recovered so well because I didn't exert myself at all. I left the cleaning to a service that I hired. I did very little driving because I didn't have a car at the time, and I am sure if my car was available I might have been doing more. I watched movies, rested, reorganized my file cabinets, read and spent lots of time on the computer. And I took advantage of that pampering. My DH was great at it!!! I think it was Dot who said, "there is no such thing as overpampering!" How true!!!!

I am 11 weeks now and still feel great! As a matter of fact, I found myself pushing a car on Saturday morning, and I realized afterward that I probably should not have done that , but tropical storm Alison decided to visit my neighborhood with no notice and the water was about to consume my son's car. I did have help with some guys in the neighborhood. I feel fine and have had no aches and pains from that "exercise." I believe it was the adrenalin doing the work!

Take care and rest!

Donna
Unread 06-13-2001, 02:46 AM
Thanks to All

Hi everyone...

Boy, you guys were soooo right. Went to my doc today and he somewhat growled at me for doing what I had been doing. His comment was "So you want more surgery do you?"

Well, that was enough, but he also said that the absolute minimum for lifting anything even mildly heavy is 6 weeks & not to lift things like boxes,heavy washing baskets, kids & kitty litter for at least three months - as that is how long it takes for the internal tummy muscles to knit. So it was an absolute
to be doing that much at 4 weeks. Mind you I'm paying for it today.
Today all I've done is go to the docs,the bank & get my hair cut & I am sssssssssssssooo sore in my tummy :muscle: and so worn out, I think I'll rest like a good little now.

Thanks to all the other princesses and my advice is DON'T DO IT.
Judi

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register