What was your deciding factor?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What was your deciding factor?? What was your deciding factor??

Unread 06-12-2001, 08:10 AM
What was your deciding factor??

Well, at this point the doctor has left the decision up to me. My option is a hysterectomy, done vaginally, no laparoscopic incision, and leaving the ovaries, just taking the uterus. I am waiting for my period this week, and struggling over what to do. What was the one thing that pushed you to have a hysterectomy, other than cancer? Other than a hyst., I have no other choices. I had a D and C, and a lap. in January, and the period after it was the worst I've ever had. Because of this, the doctor doesn't think low dose birth control pills would be effective. My uterus is at Stage One prolapse, which he says could remain for a long time, or could keep dropping. There are so many 'ifs', and I don't remember what a normal period is like anymore! Once you've had clots for more than two years, you tend to think that it's normal. However, I doubt that someone with a normal period has to plan on being home of very close to a bathroom at least two days a month! Anyway, if you had one deciding factor, let me know what it was.
Thanks,
Sandy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-12-2001, 08:37 AM

Hi Sandy,

well my Dr. suggested a TAH BSO because I have endometriosis, severe pain and the previous surgery to remove endo and a fibroid didn't bring any relieve from the pain. For me this is the best chance to be pain free in the future. I know for me it's the right choice but I am a litte scared about the possibility that the endo might grow back again, but I guess time will tell and I really look forward to no more painful periods, cramps and finally,hopefully, being painfree!

Take care!
Patty
Unread 06-12-2001, 08:41 AM

The deciding factor for me after 4 laparoscopies and miserable experiences with birth control pills, was that I had nothing else to try. Pain management alone was just getting old. My doctor didn't push it on me, just said, "Well, I'm game if you are!"

I had endometriosis and only partial relief with laparoscopy. It turned out that my normal-sized, healthy-to-the-touch uterus had adenomyosis. All gone now. Whee!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-12-2001, 09:21 AM
deciding factors

I had a 1+ uterine prolapse, Fibroids, adenomyosis (check my awful spelling), 2+ cystocele and a rectocele, (9 lb. 5 oz boy august 95, forceps delivery, hard labor blah, blah, blah) My brilliant doctor offered to hoist it all up abdominally but couldn't promise that my uterus would stay. If it continued to fall, it would mess up the bladder repair. Back to square one. If I gave birth, it would have to be c-section or everything would be ruined. Forget that mess. I chose the easy way out. TVH (kept my ovaries), A&P repair, all done vaginally. I am currently 6 days post op and it has been the best thing I have ever done for myself!! I feel FREE!! The surgical pain is actually less than what I dealt with on a day to day basis. Each day I get better and better. The hardest part is the inactivity. I want to DO something! Sit, lay, short walks. Go to the bathroom, sit, lay, shower, eat, sit, lay...it never seems to end!!! Good luck. Information is power. Get as much as you can and decide what is the best course of action for you.
Unread 06-12-2001, 09:27 AM

Hey Sandy. This is your Ontario Buddy.

I have had heavy periods with a lot of clotting and 8 to 9 days long. I am done having children. 2 gorgeous daughters. I cannot go on birth control pills due to blood pressure issues. I had a failed Endometrial Ablation in January. Since then my pain is way worse than ever before. I am also allergic to tampons which I still must wear with a pad on the second and third day. I had my appointment last Thursday. I am scheduled for a TAH with bladder repair and ovaries still in on Sept 17th, 2001. I figure I am young (35) and I want to enjoy the rest of my life not worrying about my period, blood and pain. It is a scary thing, but I think next summer is going to be awesome. No worries !

I hope that you can come to a decision that you can live with soon

Cath
Unread 06-12-2001, 09:56 AM

Sandy, I made my decision to ask for a hyst as I was laying in the emergency ward of the hospital thinking I was going to bleed to death just a month after my second endometrial ablation. The combination of 2 failed ablations and a failed d& c, along with 11 months of non-stop bleeding told me that my uterus just had to go. Even given all that, I still doubted my decision up to the day of my surgery.

At three months post-op, I can say that I'm glad I went ahead with the hyst.

Laura
Unread 06-12-2001, 11:55 PM

I didn't suffer for years like some of you out there. I had problems off and on for 3 to 4 years, but not major bleeding or things like that.
I told my dh the night before my annual exam that I sure hoped she found something the next day because I knew something was going on.
She found fibroids and as luck would have it I had an ultrasound the next day. I was scheduled with a gyn the following week.
The gyn appt. was barbaric. He wanted to do a bikini incision and take out everything. I wouldn't be needing those ovaries after age 50, after all (I was 40 at the time). I knew I didn't want him touching me for anything and I filed a major complaint with the clinic about the appointment and several blunders along the way.
From there I met with an MD that would do a LAVH. She suggested a lap for eploratory purposes, but I wasn't interested in having laps done every few years for new tumors or endo that she suggested but wasn't even there.
I finally ended up with a surgeon recommended by 2 friends in different parts of the state that don't know each other. The minute I met her I knew in my heart that I could trust her. We visited in her office, then she examined me. She was appalled that they had done an endometrial biopsy when the only symptom was tumor-related. She was awesome and I knew that since I had done my homework, I could trust her.
A week later I saw her on a cancer special on one of our local network affiliates. I knew I was in good hands.
I think it's really important to shop around if you can. That made all the difference in the world for me.
Believe me, the difference between a TAH and a TVH and leaving the ovaries is huge. I was even discharged the same day and have had no complications.
Do your homework and get a second opinion if you can.
Good luck to you,
Unread 06-13-2001, 05:54 AM
Pain!

I couldn't take the pain anymore. I told my doctor that I would do anything at all to stop the pain once and for all.
Unread 06-13-2001, 06:03 AM

I have spent 6 years with heavy bleeding, periods that last 7 - 15 days. For the first 4 1/2 years, I did not think to much about it. I have always had unpredictable periods, missed periods and short periods. Then I started having extremely heavy periods. More than a pad an hour (as my doctor judges by). I carry whole packages of 20 pads with me a day. I went in to the doctors and found that I have fibroids. Tried 2 different doses of Loestrin, when I started to have gushing days. They are unpredictable and I find I can gush for up to 1 1/2 hours. I get dizzy and light headed. I tend to sit in the bathtub waiting for it to stop! My doctor has informed me that I should go to the emergency room. I sit here today waiting for surgery tommorrow, I am now on my longest bleeding period as well as severe pain in my abdomen.

My doctor gave me choices such as a the Uterine Fibroid Embolization, Myomectomy and so on. But as I am 41, I have the opportunity to have new fibroids start to grow. I want to live at least a little without carrying extra clothes, extra pads, and wearing dark colored pants and shorts. To that extent I look forward to having clear days. But I am quite nervous about the surgery tommorrow!
Unread 06-13-2001, 06:59 AM
Deciding factor..

..for me was simply this -- I was sick of being SICK ALL the time. I only felt ok when i was menstrating and even then I only had about 2 or 3 days where I actually felt human or able to function. For my situation>endometriosis< a TAH was an option but my doctor never pushed it on me either. He was great and said "the day you come to me and say your sick of it, we will discuss it further.But it is inevitable". I am 14 days into recovery and I have one for ya " Liberation"....lololo....OH I felt better that night after surgery I swear <gg> I feel like a big weight has been lifted off me. I feel so relieved and good. i have about another week or so of happy hormones stored up in me....so next week we'll see if I still feel happy..roflroflrofl :-*D But I say I am SO ready to join the world again :-D Mentally and physically---what a RELIEF!!!! ahhhhhhhhh..... :-*D

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register