Ovarian cyst 10 years after hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Separate Surgeries

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ovarian cyst 10 years after hysterectomy Ovarian cyst 10 years after hysterectomy

Unread 02-27-2007, 08:34 AM
Ovarian cyst 10 years after hysterectomy

Well, I am new to the HysterSisters and am sure glad I found you! About 10 years ago I had a hysterectomy, at which time they removed my left ovary because of a cyst the size of an orange. About 4 weeks ago I had hematuria and had a CT scan of my abdomen and pelvis about 1 week ago, at which time my kidneys were fine, but they happened to see a right ovarian cyst that was 2 cm. I am really concerned that it could be cancer as I am 45 and don't know whether I have gone through menopause or not since I had a hysterectomy roughly 10 years ago. I won't see the OB/GYN for 8 more days and the thought of cancer is eating me up. Anyone have a hysterectomy and then an ovarian cyst sometime later? Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2007, 08:39 AM

Hello Beading Lady.

Glad your found HysterSisters. Most ovarian cysts are benign and with your history of a benign cyst, that is probably the case now. One does need to be careful and have the cysts checked out though.

Also, there is a blood test your doctor can do to determine whether you are in menopause or not. I am sure he will want to do this.

s
Jane
Unread 02-27-2007, 08:52 AM

Thank you so much for responding so quickly JMBERG. I was just wondering does that blood test have to be done fasting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2007, 10:28 AM

When my doctor had done it, I was not expecting it to be run, so I would have to say that you do not have to be fasting.
Unread 02-27-2007, 11:40 AM

Thanks again, jmberg. I just got a call from my OB/GYN office and they moved my appt up by 24 hours, so instead of a week from Thursday, it is a week from tomorrow. They also went ahead and scheduled me for an ultrasound this SAturday, so that when I go in to see the MD, he will have everything he needs.
Unread 02-28-2007, 07:05 AM

I am in exactly the same boat that you are in - I had a hysterectomy back in 1998 due to endo - they removed my left ovary and i still have my right ovary - slowly pain returned until 2 1/2 weeks ago I got slammed with right side ovaraian pain - went to the doctor and they did an ultra sound and found a 2 cm endometroma (solid mass not fluid) on my right ovary- (reading your post made me feel like I am not alone as my surgery was so long ago) - i knew when I had my hysterectomy that the chance of endo returning was great (doc gave me 2 years) but It is almost 9 years and even though I ignored it (thankfully I was able to because I so did not want to face it again) - I am scheduled for surgery 3/29 for a laporscopic procedure however the doc tells me that there is a great change it will turn to a laporotomy due to the fact of all the other symptoms - he also stated that he most likely will have to take my ovary as well - this is very scary to re-visit and I totally understand your concern.
Unread 02-28-2007, 08:07 AM

Hi LTarM. Sorry to hear about your situation too. Not sure if you want to answer this or not and that is okay, but how old are you now? I am sitting on 45 until July. Anyway, are they questioning cancer in the ovary, or is it benign according to tests?
Unread 02-28-2007, 09:13 AM

I do not mind answering your questions at all. I am currently 40 (my bd is in july also) - My ultrasound report states it could be either and endometroma or a complex ovarian neoplasm - solid not fluid filled - I of course went to the immediate cancer scare as you are - however due to my history of endometrosis as well as having endo pain again the docs are leaning towards the endometroma and I as well am holding onto that thought - of course there is a possibility but I rather not worry about that until the pathology report. I am unsure of your history (do you have a history of endometrosis???
I will give you one strong piece of advice - and this is to everyone - I had a regular pelvic ultrasound done and it came back with NOTHING - 2 days later I went for a transvaginal one and that is the one that showed the mass - after much research transvaginal ones do show more than a regular abdominal one - my doc felt the mass during the exam and prior to the ultrasound.
There are sooo many types of cysts. Mine is not classified as a cyst but rather a MASS because there is no fluid
Unread 03-02-2007, 05:01 AM

I had surgery almost 2 years to the day aftre my hyster to remove my last ovary with a huge cyst.I think 2 years is about average.You have done well lasting 10 . Hopefully they can remove it laproscopically and you'll have a speedy recovery.BTW I did not know if I'd feel the sugrical menopause because I had only had one ovary fo rthe 2 years prior..I cannottake HRT due to Clots ..I definitely felt the surgical menopause( not sure as bad as others when both were removed) but particulary hit a wall after my fat stores of estrogen were exhausted... Its almost a year anow and I was just now getting it together..... Wishing you well

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register