Back pain anyone? oh - and weight gain? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > Hysteritaville General Discussions

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Back pain anyone? oh - and weight gain? Back pain anyone? oh - and weight gain?

Unread 02-27-2007, 02:55 PM
Back pain anyone? oh - and weight gain?

Before my TAH/BSO/TVTo & enterocele reduction in July 2006, I would get serious back labor pains when I would ovulate & during my periods.

AFTER my TAH/BSO/TVTo & enterocele reduction - I have constant back pain when I stand or walk. I'm not able to stand long enough to make dinner or wash a load of dishes. Walking through the grocery store is agony. The only type of exercise that I am able to do (and I do 5 hours a week which I started in December) is water aerobics.

My GYN at my 6 wk and 3 mo checkups said, "it'll go away - it's just from the stirrups".

But it's not going away. It's gotten worse. I've also gained 50 pounds...which makes no sense since I'm doing water aerobics 5 hours/week.

I've had an EMG, myelogram and CT scan - and all show that I there is no nerve damage in my back or legs. the neurologist and orthopedic surgeons are stumped as to why I have this much pain.

I see a pain doctor and he's given me pain shot/blocks in all different places to try to reduce the pain I have - but I'm not getting any relief.

Does anyone on here have problems with back pain after their hyst - and if so - have your doctors figured out what might be causing the pain?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2007, 08:04 PM

(((((Sweetie))))) I do not have any answers as to why you are still in so much pain I do hope that you find answers very soon and that relief is just around the corner

Regarding the weight gain: I remember how, pre-hyst, I gained over 30 lbs in just about 3 months, for no reason at all. At the time, my doctor ran a battery of tests, without any explanation as to why this was happening. Looking back, I figure that it was due to my hormones being completely out of whack, especially since, whenever I would stop flowing uncontrollably, it seemed as though my weight would go down.

Have you discussed the weight gain with your doctor? It may be worth it to have your thyroid and homon levels checked, just to be sure to cover all possibilities.

Unread 02-28-2007, 08:52 PM

I have suffered from back pain since my hysterectomy 2 years ago and it has been diagnosed as SI joint pain. (sacro-ilialic sp ??) This came about as a result of the positioning during my 3+ hour surgery. I may end up having these nerves ablated, however, I am unsure. In the meantime, I am in pain-management and take a variety of meds including Topamax, Lyrica and a narcotic to just get me out of pain when I need it. Have you had luck with any medication at all?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-01-2007, 05:58 AM

I had terrible back pain before my surgery (which is what got me to the doctor in the first place), and for about 9 months after surgery although the pain was not as bad as before my hyst. Every morning I would so a series of back stretching exercises, especially for my right side, and it eventually subsided. I still have some pain, but nothing like before. I would pursue it with your doc, for sure, and I've seen other posts by sisters who found they had disc problems, etc. that were not related to the hyst. I know how frustrating it can be, because I thought all the pain would go away after the surgery, but maybe over time it will...that is what my gyn keeps saying....hang in there!
Unread 03-01-2007, 07:24 AM

Thank you for your replies. After reading them - I realize that I should have included "what I've already tried..." Ah - brain fog. Gotta love it.

Here's what I've tried so far:

GYN told me "it'll be fine in 6 months - you're just hurting from the position in the stirrups." I was supposed to have a 6 month checkup - which keeps being moved. My 6 mo check up is now March 12 - 8 mos post-op.

Hypothyroidism has been Dx and we finally got the meds right and blood workup looks good. (Plus my hair is silky again.)

Two EMGs shows nerves are in good shape. Yes, this test hurts like nobody's business - but the neurologist wanted to re-do the tests to "make sure."

Physical Therapy & Water aerobics (5 hours/week). Physical Therapy was Rxed by orthopedic surgeon. The orthopedic surgeon just did a myelogram/spinal tap and CT scan last Friday. I have my follow-up appointment with him this Friday. He did the myelogram and said my nerve roots look fine.

Pain mgmt dr has tried giving me epidurals in 3 different spinal locations (lumbar area) - guessing where to put the epidural to give me relief. He's also given me pain shots in the muscles in my back surround my spine. Unfortunately the pain shots haven't helped in my back and thigh. (Other pain shots I've gotten for my arthritis have worked brilliantly - so I know that they DO work - just not on the back/thigh pain).

I have lydocain patches - and I am allowed to wear up to 3 every other day. I also have a Rx of Vicodin and Celebrex.

Tried Lyrica, Topamax, Depakote, and Neurontin to help relieve the pain (with no help on pain relief). Topomax did help by reducing my appetite and reduced the number of migraines I had, but made me a zombie. I'm not taking any type of these meds right now.

I just saw my PCP and she noticed that I have pitted edema. She thinks that the weight gain might be due to having constant estrogen (I'm on the Vivelle patch 0.1 mg) - instead of having varied amts of estrogen run through my system (I was PCOS before my TAH/BSO). She gave me water pills and potassium to try to reduce the water weight and see how much water is contributing to my weight.

It'd be nice if I take the water pills and pee out 50 pounds. I wonder - if I sit in a steam room long enough - perhaps my body fat will melt and I can pee it out, too.

Again - thank you so much for replying to my post.

Noni
Unread 03-03-2007, 03:54 PM

I have had back pain since my prolapses--which started a few months after my hysterectomy. I have noticed a lot of back pain with the rectocele and now I have another rectocele and cystocele and am noticing a lot of back pain again. I went to the doc and had tests on my kidneys (VCUG, IVP and back xrays) thinking something was coming from the kidney since it is in my back, but everything was 'normal'.

I can also feel for you on the weight gain. Before my hyst I was in the best shape of my life and about a year out I just started gaining weight for no reason. Nothing really changed about my diet. The only thing I was doing different was taking pain medication (which I suspect has added to my weight gain) I put on 50 lbs too. About a year ago I went and had all the tests done on my thyroid and hormones and everything came back bad (not enough estrogen, progesterone or testosterone--and hypothyroidism) I have since started on thyroid meds and estrogen and with the help of a strict diet I have managed to lose 20 lbs--I have another 30 to go before I am back to where I started, but it is SO HARD to lose anything when your hormones/thyroid are out of wack.

I know this wasn't any help to you, but wanted you to know that you are not alone!!

Hugs
Becky
Unread 03-06-2007, 08:28 AM

Thanks Becky...

I did some research online (Google search) and did find other people who are suffering from back pain after their hysterectomies.

One of these people found the cause to be a tilted pelvis. I've been checked for that - and all my bones are in alignment.

My orthopedic surgeon has given me a Rx for a back brace - and gave me exercises. He doesn't know if this will help the pain.

I'm also going to see my GYN on Monday 3/12. This is my 6 month checkup. (Yes - I know I'm 8 months post-op). I hope he can shed some light on my pain & weight gain.

I also need to talk with him about the fact that I'm still LEAKING. The sling took care of my leaking when I coughed, sneezed & laughed, but not all my leakage problems.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register