frequent vaginal infections after surgery?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

frequent vaginal infections after surgery?? frequent vaginal infections after surgery??

Unread 03-03-2007, 11:21 PM
frequent vaginal infections after surgery??

Hi, I am new to this site. This site is absolutely wonderful and comprehensive. I am soooooooo glad I found this site.

I had my surgery in July 2005 and was delighted after I recovered. I don't know if anyone else has had this issue. But since my surgery, the past year I have had several vaginal infection. Stemming from either extra discharge or itchy. I have been treated with the sulfer,etc. That solved it for a month or two and then I get it again. Are women that are post-op get this more because of their hormonal change or inbalance?? One time, the doctor said I had not gotten the correct medicine and gave me something else. At this time I am taking sulfamethoxazole and I use Climara hormonal patches. Is this common? Is there anyone else experiencing this on a regular basis? I am beginning to become alarmed?? What's up with me? I will appreciate any information. I should have made my user name tiredoftheitching (LOL sort of).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2007, 10:23 AM

Hi There! Sorry to hear about your cronic infections - how aggrevating that must be! Now I am not a doctor, but I am pretty sure that alot of anti-biotics can cause woman to get yeast infections - which are very similar to the symptoms you describe (I have had several)! Have you tried using a Monistat vaginal cream to clear up the symptoms? Just a thought! Let me know!
Take care and try not to scratch!
Unread 03-05-2007, 04:33 PM

Thanks. I got some vagisil and that has eliminated some of the itching, but I want something to solve the itching. And you sound like my fiance when you say "Try not to scratch (LOL)!!! I am concerned that it is something else. I am going to make an appt and have a serious take with the doctor and ask Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy does it keep coming back. Have you heard of anyone with this same condition?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-06-2007, 12:51 AM

Hi...if your tissues have become dry and thin because of low oestrogen after your hysterectomy, you can become more prone to infections. if that is the case, a vaginal oestrogen might well help you. It helped me no end. Well worth asking your doctor about....
Unread 03-06-2007, 06:30 AM

I agree with the above post, I had 9 yeast infections in the months before my hyst. and for 6 months after. Then I started using Premarin creme and it has been a year and I have only had one yeast infection and that was because I was on an antibiotic. My doctor told me I was irritating my tissues and that made them more prone to infection. Please see your doctor about your problem, it is no fun at all. Hugs.
Unread 03-07-2007, 05:22 PM

It is very common, and a vicious cycle, I have had the
vagina from hell, and I have no answers for you, wish
I could help you and myself.
Unread 03-07-2007, 05:39 PM

Hello!

I had a similar problem after my hysterectomy...the doctor who did my hyster would just shrug his shoulders when I asked why I was having that problem. Long story short, and for a lot more reasons, I fired him. My new wonderful doctor took a vaginal smear and within minutes came back into the room and told me I had a vaginal bacteria infection....not a yeast infection. They are very different from each other and the medication treatment is VERY different. So, be sure your doctor takes a smear - insist on it!!!! Take care and let us know how you make out.
Unread 03-08-2007, 04:31 AM

I had a bacterial infection for 9 mos and kept going back and have a wet mount and it showed nothing, finally they did a culture and I had a heavy overgrowth
of ebactor and then continued to have 2 more culture come back with heavy overgrowths from other bacteria.
It took me months to have a clean culture, don't know
why it didn't show up on wet mount and don't know why
I had them, because I am very careful about contamination, but I do know one thing, you are much more prone to infection after a hyst.
Unread 04-09-2007, 12:32 PM

I had my hyst. 3 years ago and just about 6 months ago I started with a severe itching burning and swelling and I went to the Dr. and she said I def. had a sexualy transmitted disease the one with blisters and even presribed the med for it then last min after I said I dont have blisters and Im faithful to my husband and he to me and God so I said this is not poss. she just insinuated well men do lei she examined me and said no you dont do you and looked puzzled and now I was mad and worried what have I got myself into now? I have had zero help from any Dr. but this was rediculous. I then had to go to another Dr. and he put me on hemrhoid cream for the itching and it burned like fire no no!!! and then an antibiotic which helped it was not yeast by the way even though I did have a discharge?? now I have had infections every 2 or 3 months sence my hyst. and antibiotics always helped but this infection was horrible!! very painful, why do we keep getting them no Dr. has told me either.I have started to burn and itch off and on sence last week oyve'
Unread 04-09-2007, 03:50 PM

Honey, I could write a page, but I will tell you this, this kind of stuff is what you are in for now. Some women don't have so much trouble with it, but I have had the vagina from H---! ever since my hyst, goes from one infection to another, and just raw and irritated. I think part of the problem is hormones, and then I believe that the lubrication you got from the uterus kept things moist and probably has antibacterial
properties. But, I have not been the same since, and has ruined my sex life. You have got to keep some form of lubrication going so that things dry out. And don't expect the doctors to know anything about it because I have seen soooo many and they are clueless,
and nobody tells you about this stuff before the surgery.
I hate too be so negative, but when I started dealing with this I couldn't figure out what was going, so I just want you to know, that things are different down there now and you are just going to have to find ways to help things out, so just keep coming here and you will learn a lot. Good luck.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register