Rectal Stricture? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Rectal Stricture? Rectal Stricture?

Unread 03-04-2007, 04:17 PM
Rectal Stricture?

I have just recently been diagnosed with a stricture in my rectum/colon. I am having a sigmoidoscopy tomorrow and have met with a colorectal surgeon. My gyn oncologist discovered this during my surgery a few weeks ago to remove severe adhesions. She saw the stricture and sent me for a barium enema last week. I have terrible pain with bowel movements but it is not very consistant. For example, last weekend I couldn't function for two days because of the pain but the past few days have been fairly normal. I can't seem to find hardly any info about this. I have been through so many surgeries and tests lately that I'm just exhausted. I thought that after my hysterectomy my life would get back to normal but it just seems that it was the beginning of many more things to come. Any info regarding this would be so helpful and much appreciated. Thank you all so much for the support.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2007, 05:15 PM
Rectal Stricture?

Hi
I had a TVH on October 19, 2006 and a few weeks later I felt pressure after a bowel movement and now I sometimes feel pain too and its hard to sit. I too thought after the hysterectomy everything would be fine...well was I wrong! I go to the doctor on Mach 14 and I really don't know what to say. I'm not bleeding but the pain after the bowel movement is still happening. Anyone out there that went through this or are still dealing with this problem. Sometimes I feel alone and my primecare doctor thinks I'm just over weight. What a nice guy. I will be seeing my ob/gyn doc who did the surgery on the 14th. Lots of hugs and prayers....jonzie
Unread 03-04-2007, 10:10 PM
Rectal Stricture?

I too am having severe pain just before and some during a bowel movement. It goes away after the bm, but I almost scream out lout.

It seems to mostly be in my intestines and not in my rectum.

I am just now recovering from a stomach bug that was just awful.

I took some Pepto Bismol and I suspect that made things worse by trying to make my intestines do something they aren't able to yet(?).
I switched to just Tums and the problem went away...
Now I am just passing some much relieving gas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2007, 01:48 PM
Rectal Stricture?

Thanks for the reply. Some days are better then others and believe me I'm eating enough fiber and drinking enough fluids so I know thats not an issue. Today I'm feeling better!!! Maybe I just do too much work around the house and outside. My hubby thinks I should be over the pain by now. Sometimes I think men should walk in our shoes for 1 day. Maybe their ideas about us would change. Thanks again!!! Lots of Love jonzie
Unread 03-05-2007, 06:36 PM
Rectal Stricture?

Hi 30andscared
I read your thread with great interest. How was your stricture diagnosed? Was it a rectal exam during your surgery? What exactly did the barium enema show? I'm glad you're going to see a colorectal surgeon.
I have had rectal pain daily for the past 7 months. My history is quite long and complicated but the short story is that I had a synthetic mesh repair for cystocele, rectocele, enterocele and vaginal vault prolapse. I had an inflammatory reaction to the mesh. I developed a mesh erosion into the vagina. When I finally had the mesh removed in January the Uro/Gyn and the Gyn found the mesh was only 1 mm away from the rectal wall. The Uro/Gyn assumed that once the mesh was removed the rectal pain would go away. I am now 7 weeks post-op and though the day-to-day pain is improving, having a BM is extremely painful. It feels like I'm pushing out ground glass, I get cold sweats, hold my breath and have pain and pressure for about an hour after the BM. I have had countless rectal exams and a colonoscopy. My Uro/Gyn says there's no reason I should still be having pain and wants to start me on Elavil or Neurontin. My Gyn is sending all my records to a colleague who is a colorectal surgeon for review.
What does your pain feel like? Can you attribute the coming and going of the pain to anything? I'm sorry I'm peppering you with so many questions but like you I haven't found anyone else with a similar situation or any concrete information related to my symptoms. I've nearly come to the conclusion that I will never again have a normal BM.
I hope your visit goes well and you get some much needed answers. Please let me know what happens.
Michelle
Unread 03-06-2007, 08:54 AM
Rectal Stricture?

Well I started having difficulty with BM's around the last part of November, first part of December 06. I would stay in the bathroom forever and would have terrible pain and at time would only pass small sticky stool. I would also pass clear mucus. I even woke up one night and my underwear were soaked with mucus from that area. This went on for about a week and then stopped. About a week later it started again and my mother would not let me not go to the doctor.

I went to my family doctor thinking that I had a stomach virus or something. He sent me for a CT scan. The scan showed that I had a 6cm ovarian cyst and that he said was what was causing my pain. He did however want me to have a colonscopy done just to be sure. I had a colonscopy on Dec 11 and the surgeon that did it said everything looked fine and that I needed to get the cyst removed.

I went to my gyn oncologist on Dec 29 and she said that she wanted me to take BC pills for a while to see if it would help and to come back in a month. I made it for three weeks until the pain became so excruciating that I couldn't work for a week. I called my gyn onc and she told me to come in. After examanition she told me that she wanted to do surgery to remove the cyst and possibly the ovary.

I had surgery on Jan 30 and what should have taken about an hour turned to over three hours long. Evidently the cyst had ruptured already but I was completely covered in adhesions. My rectum, colon and top of my vagina were adhered together. My fatty part of the front of my abdomen was adhered to my colon and my left ovary was adhered as flat as a pancake to my colon. It was during this surgery while she was attempting to remove the main adhesions that she saw the stricture on my colon. She said that it looked like there was something invisible squeezing my colon together.

So she sent me for a barium enema after she thought that I would be healed enough from my extensive surgery (which she only removed the main adhesions and left some that she felt would not bother me). I had the barium enema last Tuesday Feb 27, met with the colorectal surgeon Wed Feb 28 and he wanted to do the sigmoidoscopy. He had the attitude that it was kind of in my head though and that worried me.

Well, I had the sigmoidoscopy yesterday. He said that he didn't see anything significant to be causing my pain and he feels that I am having spasms and that my colon was tethered with adhesions. Evidently, when we have a hysterectomy our intentines tend to fall because we don't have the uterus there to hold them up anymore. He put me on a anti-spasm medicine called Bentyl and told me that if this didn't work he was going to try one other medicine and if that didn't work that I would have to have another surgery to "lift" my intestines and remove adhesions.

I'm going to go back to work on Monday March 12 and hope for the best.

I honestly think that a lot of the times doctors don't know what's going on with us and they just have to rule out things. Luckily colon cancer has been ruled out for me.
Sorry I know this was long but I hope it helped you some.
Unread 03-06-2007, 06:23 PM
Rectal Stricture?

You have been through so much. Thank you for sharing your story with me. It makes my problems pale in comparison. It always amazes me how some Drs can minimize your symptoms to make you feel that you're imagining it. I wish there were some way to be able to transfer our pain to them for just 5 minutes and then maybe they might actually take action a little faster or at least understand what it feels like.
I hope the medication works for you. Please let me know how things turn out at your appointment next week. My appointment is the day after yours and then I find out what I need to do next or who I need to see.
Michelle
Unread 03-08-2007, 09:06 AM
Rectal Stricture?

30 & scared, i'm 45 and feed up you are right about Docs do not know whats going on most of the time , it's all trial & error for them sometimes. i'm a nurse & i have worked with ob/gyn docs so i see behind the scene what goes on in the office & at the hosp. , & when patients come in post op
i am also going through the whole "bowel pain' problem esp with BM
and to top that i have bladder spasms , esp after sex ??? my gyn looks at me like a deer in headlights when i explain this symptom, all she seems to be able to do is keep checking my ovaries , which had cysts after surgery , but did not have them before
boy!! the things we women must do , for a little peace of mind
i am trying to find out natural remedies for all these problems, i hope there are no adhesions but i'm sure there are , I can 'feel' the bowel movements

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register