Can low estrogen cause depression,disappointment, despair feelings? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Natural Meno Post Hysterectomy - Kept Ovaries

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Can low estrogen cause depression,disappointment, despair feelings? Can low estrogen cause depression,disappointment, despair feelings?

Unread 03-05-2007, 02:39 PM
Can low estrogen cause depression,disappointment, despair feelings?

I am wondering if my estrogen patch needs to be adjusted a bit. Lately besides being just outright irritable all the time and to everyone.....I just feel down....disappointed in my husband, my friends, etc...just a feeling of disparity all the time. My life is good but I just feel disappointed all the time. I can't seem to shake it and am just wondering if I need to adjust my estrogen or try an anti-depressant. How would I know if it is estrogen related or if it is true depression? Thanks ladies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2007, 02:48 PM

Hi Anna:
I am wondering the same thing. I have been just downright miserable. I feel like my self worth is nothing. I cry all the time. I am on Vivelle .75 which my GYN says is pretty low, but I had endo so I am afraid it will come back. But this despression is just killing me not to mention, my marriage isn't doing so good beings I am so depressed and I always feel that my husband doesn't do enough and really he does. I don't know if you find out anything let me know. I do hope you feel better.

Tina
Unread 03-05-2007, 03:00 PM

You know it's funny, if it weren't for your names, your posts could be mine....i was just told last week, i had lower estrogen levels and dhea based on a blood test I took....and I asked the doctor the same question..does lower estrogen do this....she told me yes.....

My situation is complicated by chronic pain associated with a tight ligament in my pelvic area...so naturally, I thought all the emotional stuff was coming from that....but I will tell you when the emotional problems get worse....it is when my husband seems to be uncooperative in helping me deal with my issues of aging, hormones, pain and general lack of life.....that is when the depression rises and the self confidence plummets....I have wondered if all the divorces we hear about when women reach our age of 50'ish, is somehow connected to the inability of the couple to grasp menopause in women and lower hormone levels in men as well....

I am not sure these issues get better with a patch.....if someone told me what it's like to go through this, I would have never believed that I would not have been on top of it....but it kicks my butt....

hopefully, we can all salvage our personal lives and there is life after menopause.....I thought it was just me....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2007, 03:11 PM

yes, I think so. I just increased my Premarin just a little and I feel somewhat better...at least I 'm sleeping all night again and not feeling like I'm hitting bottom every day! We tried some testosterone but didn't work well with my face so stopped that. But the little estrogen increase did help so I think it's worth asking your dr about!
Unread 03-05-2007, 03:39 PM

I just don't get why it is so difficult to figure where your levels should be. If you discuss it with your regular doctor they always suggest anti-depressants and so on. I really can't up my patch without getting a differant prescription so I have to deal with it until my appoitment on the 15th. I tell you, vaginal dryness it a biggy also with the depression, and I do use vaginal estrogen but I get so darn tired of using it, and then I feel like I have a UTI and then I get a bacterial infections. Arrgh. I have totally just stopped doing the things I liked. I have lost most of my friends as I never want to do anything. As I said I just feel like there is not purpose for me her. Also, I think some of my despression is my only child is graduating and going off to college so its just me and hubby. Anyway I am so thankful for this board. Does anyone have that list of too much too little estrogen?
Unread 03-05-2007, 03:45 PM
Try this link.....

Hi Teena,
Try this link for the Estrogen article. I hope you feel better soon!
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/hsarticle.php?id=97238
Unread 03-06-2007, 10:36 AM

teenab, i had to respond to your email because i know what the empty nest syndrome is all about....it can be a huge life-style adjustment that will require a lot of preparedness on your part now that you are dealing with hormonal issues.....

What your goal should be before your child goes away is to get yourself as balanced as possible, because there will be times that the abscence of your child at home will hit you when you least expect it....it's funny how our goals as parents is to raise our children to be independent, but the minute it happens, our sensitivities come into play.....

Try to find some common ground with your husband and get involved in something together so that you have a distraction ...as hard as that is right now...I know, a hobby when you can't function normally is like climbing a mountain barefoot....
Unread 03-06-2007, 01:25 PM

Anna,
Your post really hit home. I have been complaining to my husband about exactly the same things. I feel so disappointed in my friends and mom, dad, etc. I know my mom and my dad were always like the way they are now (selfish and unkind), but for some reason it all hits me harder now. My best friend makes rude comments to me like "are you going to take another pill?" when I told her I've started having migraines that won't go away. Like as if I like taking pills. I told her as of now I wasn't taking anything as the sleeping pills were causing so many side effects. She was like, "GOOD." Funny, my doctors seem to think that sleep is important. I think most people do, but she just seems to think I take sleeping pills for the pure joy of it. Geez. Frankly sometimes I think everyone else is jerky and we are the normal ones. I keep trying to convince myself of that anyway.
Tara
Unread 03-06-2007, 04:58 PM
Unhappy - Can low estrogen cause depression,disappointment, despair feelings? Can low estrogen cause depression,disappointment, despair feelings?

Thank you everyone, I looked at the list and I am afriad I don't know if I have too little or too much estrogen, it has smptoms of both. LOL. As far as the despession and all the comes with it, I have rectocele too but I refuse to have surgery right now with my son graduating and we like the river in the summer so I am try to old out until September. Anna I know what you mean about the best friend not being supported through all of this I have lot my best friend of 32 years as my husband went to work for her husband 7 years ago and that in itself is just enough to ruin and I mean ruin a friendship. I also lost another friend dueto her depression from lossing her mom, she just has not been able to get over that hump so she changed and it just didn't work out. My other friend is 65 and I am 50 but we are great friends but she is retiring and her and hubby are going to travel the world in their new rv and that leaves me to my sister in law who is moving next month to Maui (lucky her). I guess you would say I know how to really get rid of friends. So that also can contribute to depression. How to you meet new genuine friends. Our Church is huge we barely know anyone there. I guess I have all of you ladies. I kow I sound like I am a total loser, but really I am not. But I use to be larger than life and now I am just a little wimpy. I turned 50 two months ago and I guess I feel wortless. Does this sould like estrogen trouble?
Unread 03-07-2007, 02:39 PM

I understand and feel for you ! I posted a post on my things too.....and now reading the above link, I don't know where I am...too low, too high, estrogen, progesterin....but I will say, except for the body draining , nauseating,wringing wet hot flashes, (which turned me into a hermit) I was ok....reasonably happy, enjoying life here in my own little world....now....not at all. Sometimes if I didn't have my horses to care for, I don't know if it would be worth it. I think it is the Premarin. I am glad that Premarin works for some, sure wish it did for me.
I am very dissapointed/frustrated in myself....fortunatly , my husband (he is 67) is trying very hard to understand and support me.

I am so glad to have found this board....I know things will get better for all of us!

TeenaB...You don't sound like a loser to me!! But I do understand your feeling that way. It's hard isn't it? I don't have very many friends anymore either, they just don't understand.I am 52.

It's a crazy world , isn't it??

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register