year since TAH/BSO how much longer will I feel so awful? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

year since TAH/BSO how much longer will I feel so awful? year since TAH/BSO how much longer will I feel so awful?

Unread 03-07-2007, 03:43 PM
year since TAH/BSO how much longer will I feel so awful?

I had the op a year ago today and the prognosis was good -Grade one stage one Endo ca and no further treatment.
I know I have been fortunate and almost feel bad that I am complaining but I feel so terrible all the time.I am in UK and here we are not permitted any HRT after cancer. I am suffering with hot flushes but worse of all riproaring anxiety all the time, which i cannot control.
I have been having acupuncture which has helped somewhat but really I just am missing my ovaries and I just feel flat and empty when I am not anxious.
Can anyone give me any reassurance that things will get better for me before too long or is this it?
Please dont suggest that I take any HRT or even herbs or phytoestrogens, or even soy. I am not allowed any of it. Any other positive input would be so appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2007, 04:08 PM

I have read where sometimes an antianxiety or something helps with some of the symptoms. I would recommend that you check out the No Hormone Desert Oasis here on HysterSisters. You may find some ideas there too.

s
Jane
Unread 03-07-2007, 11:50 PM

Hi Uk Lady:

I think I do remember you from a year ago. I am sorry to hear you still have those symptoms. I don't think that anxiety can really be said to be from menopause though. It seems like you have been suffering from this way too long. Have you seen a doctor -- perhaps for talk therapy or anti-anxiety medication to help you through this? I think there are things that can help that don't involve HRT. Regards, Blue,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2007, 01:16 AM

Hi Uk Lady

Sorry to hear what you are going through. I was put on Hrt after ovarian cancer - not by choice- but because my bladder needed estrogen to work properly. Im only on one patch every 10 days (the lowest dose) but its just enough to keep things working! I do suggest you have a chat to your oncologist about how you are suffering and see if something can be worked out.

Take care
sheila
Unread 03-08-2007, 05:19 AM

Hi Blue-yes I remember you too. You are right about the anxiety because I have always suffered with it to a degree but lately it has been really bad. I am having acupuncture and my therapist confirmed that it is exacerbated by the loss of ovaries and my body still trying to adjust.
I am also trying to deal with a terrible family trauma-my brother in law has just been diagnosed with a terminal brain tumour. My sister and I are so close that I am living her pain, and all that he has been through has brought back the memory of last year for me.
I am having cognitive therapy because I think about illness, death and dying all the time.
I have only just started so I dont know if it will help.
The thing that would help the most would be a sense of mental well being which I am sure I would have if I could only have my ovaries back!
Since that is never gonna happen and I am definitely not allowed HRT I will just have to keep on going with how I feel and hope things improve.
I am also trying St John's Wort for the depression.
Blue-obviously you are feeling ok now then? I see you had your hysterectomy last January so you are a couple of months ahead of me.
Sheila- I see you live in UK. So there is hope that I might be able to have some HRT at some stage then! thanks for letting me know.
UK Lady
Unread 03-08-2007, 07:25 AM

Hi Sheila, I am feeling better -- thank you for asking. I am probably in the minority since I experienced ver little of the classic symptoms of menopause... except perhaps sleeplessness. I am very sorry to hear about your brother-in-law. It must be especially difficult to cope with cancer if you have pre-existing anxiety. Unfortunately, we can't go back to a state before cancer and get back what we lost. But hopefully we can find a new normal, a place with some peace and acceptance. May I ask, what is cognitive therapy? Regards, Blue.
Unread 03-08-2007, 09:03 AM

Hi Blue
its Jan by the way-I am UK lady-
Cognitive behavior therapy is to help treat unrealistic fears and phobias. It helps you to find other ways of looking at your fears and put them in perspective.
I can see how it could work with say-agoraphobia because you look at the fact that nothing bad has actually happened when you have gone out before, so why should it now? You try to find other realistic ways of looking at the fear.
I have to write every fearful thought down at present and then try to challenge the thought and try a different way of looking at it.
I am coming unstuck though because I dont see how I can challenge the thought that I am mortal and am going to die one day.
I have only just started the therapy though so I hope the therapist will help me to think more nomally about it. After all, we are all gonna die but most people don't worry about it too much.
Maybe I have just had a basinful in the past year-what with the cancer, then a breast cancer scare in July, and now my sister's partner. Too much horror in a short space of time!
Glad you are getting on well anyway
Jan (uk lady)
Unread 03-08-2007, 12:06 PM

I find it very difficult to wrap my mind around some ever present issues, like mortality, now after a cancer dx. These issues have a different look to them now, more intense and alarming. I see you are taking St. John's Wort which I take regularly as well, even before my dx as I have sunlight affected disorder; but it was not enough for my emotional stability after the dx. I needed something more. It took awhile to find someone who would give me a prescription but it does help a great deal now. I have some family issues that are very hard to see at a different perspective. They are ever present, not changing, oppressive but it is me that needs to change how I come at them and live with them, not altering the reality of the situation itself. I don't have that control. When I am sane and in good mental frame of mind, I can cope with them better; when not, I generally lose it and regret my mouth afterwards. I find it harder to have that sane perspective without aid now. Please see if there is a prescription that wouldhelp you. Your emotions are overwhelmed yet you must cope in making decisions for yourself and being support for your sister. I think you'll find it of benefit.
Unread 03-08-2007, 12:55 PM

Dear Jan:

>>I am coming unstuck though because I dont see how I can challenge the thought that I am mortal and am going to die one day. <<

I think about this alot more since my cancer diagnosis too. One thing that sometimes helps is to use that thought to treat others a little bit better than I normally would. Since ultimately we are all in the same boat. Have you ever thought of volunteering? Just a thought. I know you probably don't have much time now because of your family situation. But helping others can sometimes give you respite from your own cares. Regards, Blue.
Unread 03-08-2007, 01:10 PM

Hi again Blue
Yes you are right and I do try to be as kind to others as it is possible to be. I have recently thought that very thing-"we are all in the same boat".
I think all my life I have always been too afraid to address my own mortality, as I have always been so healthy fit and strong and pushed the thoughts away. The doctors told me I did not have one risk factor for endo cancer.It came so out of the blue. I didn't feel ill and then suddenly I had to have a big operation .
I am having to do work on myself to accept that I am as vulnerable as anyone else and what right had I to think that cancer wouldn't get me? It was so arrogant to think that way!
Yes I often think of volunteering, but so far I have never done it.
Maybe I should think about it again-its a helpful suggestion , thank you
Jan

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register