Question for any Teachers out there | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question for any Teachers out there Question for any Teachers out there

Unread 03-09-2007, 07:53 AM
Question for any Teachers out there

Teachers, teachers please help!! All of you hyster-sisters have been so helpful; I thought perhaps you would be willing to offer some insight or opinion. I am 50yrs young and considering beoming a teacher. I currently work in the medical field. I am a bit apprehensive for several reasons: would I be hired by anyone at the age of 53 and a Newbie; how would I be received by the experienced yet much younger teachers; how has "no child left behind" really changed teaching for those that love the job?
I always thought I wanted to be a teacher, but in the Stone age teachers were being laid off left and right- even those with tenure. Sooooo off to the medical field I went. Now 25+ yrs later and kids out of the house I am looking for a change.So am I crazy to try and work full time, complete a teaching degree and get a job and LOVE IT?
Any thoughts would be so very appreciated! Thanks all, its great to have so many Sisters!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2007, 11:45 AM

What about teaching in a higher education field, like medical technology? Or a school of nursing? It sounds like you have a lot of work experience that could be a tremendous advantage in a program like that. You might not even have to complete a teaching degree, as teaching certification is not required in higher ed (community college, colleges and universities).
Unread 03-13-2007, 02:06 PM

I am a Para for Special Ed.... severe needs and I LOVE LOVE LOVE my job. I came to this job, after 20 years in a fortune 500 company in a cubicle pushing papers. We made a major move 5 years ago and decided I could NOT do a cubicle job anymore! So after soul searching I decided I wanted to work with kids or animals. I applied for a job with the school district with zero education, zero experience and I was hired within hours. I never looked back and love every minute of it. I am usually in Kindie - 3rd grade. I am sure this doesn't help much and sorry about that, just my 2 cents and experience!

P.S. YES the pay is HORRID!!!!! BUT love going to work every single day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-14-2007, 07:06 AM

Hi there! At your age you have so much to offer in every type of teaching situation, eg special needs , technical colleges, regular schools, slow learners etc.
Go for it. If you're unsure you could always try voluntary teaching say at weekends or summer camp to see how you get on. Or you could try doing assistant work for tutors, my mum did that in the UK , started when she was 65 years old ! I think with your enthusiasm and experience you'll be fine.
Unread 03-16-2007, 10:05 PM

Yes, go for it! More teachers are needed almost everywhere. Do not worry about what "younger, more experienced " teachers may think. Your medical field background can be a big plus in getting hired as a teacher. We need more people who want to teach!
Unread 03-16-2007, 10:54 PM

I'm a school librarian and I say if you've been wanting to do this for that long I'd go for it. Yes, NCLB and all the testing can be frustrating but the kids need teachers who are interested in them and willing to give them their time. I wouldn't worry about your age. Someone suggested volunteering to get a real feel for the job. I think that's a great idea. A cousin of mine just retired from the military and took a job in the schools. He called the other night and is so enthusiastic and so full of ideas. It was great to hear. I think any one of any age can bring something special to the job.
Unread 03-17-2007, 08:33 PM

Thanks all for the encouragement! I have been getting one or 2 classes out of the way and its so hard when you work full time to put in that extra effort! i do agree that it will be so worth it- the kids will really make it for me. Thanks again for all the kind words - I must have thought that I was in retirement being at home for 6weeks - lordy theres alot of years between 50 and the real retirement age ! I going for that career change!!!!!
Unread 03-21-2007, 09:14 PM

this is my first year teaching, I switched over from working in Escrow. I'm glad your going to go for it! There is a real need for teachers out there. As with any job, there are things that make it tough, such as iwth some of the requirements of NCLB, but if you love the kids, then you can just ignore all that stuff. Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register