complex hyperplasia/atypia | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

complex hyperplasia/atypia complex hyperplasia/atypia

Unread 03-09-2007, 12:24 PM
complex hyperplasia/atypia

I have a question for you all. I had to have a physical with my pcp since I'm over 50(gyn requested as she said this is her normal procedure w/over 50 yr old patients). Pcp and I were talking about the hyst. and she said to ask gyn regarding alternatives, that there are treatment options and that hyst is a major surgery not to rush into.

I was diagnosed with simple hyperplasia 3 years ago, same gyn. When she (gyn) came to the recovery room after the D&C, she made the comment "we get another diagnosis of this again, that uterus is MINE! At your age you have no need for it." It bothered me at the time, but I let it slide. I've had endo biopsies yearly since then. This past year I started including my yearly pap with my yearly physical as I found a pcp that I really like. However, 6 months ago her office stopped being a provider for <oops! name of insurance company removed per siteguidelines!>. I hadn't had a period in 6 months, then had a 10 day period from hell. I called gyn, long story short, her nurse pract. did transvaginal u.s. and endo biopsy. It came back complex w/ atypia. I haven't seen gyn yet, her nurse called me with results and scheduled hyst. My pre-op appt. is March 14. (which may be moot as my ekg was a little abnormal this a.m., other posting on pre-op board)
Now I'm wondering if I'm doing the right thing. This is a horrible time for me as I'm in the middle of a semester of school, I'm a full time student. pcp suggested another D&C with a scope and see what came back from pathology and go from there.

My Gyn sounds a little too eager, in my mind. I'm going crazy. I live in a small town, guess I could go to another city and have a 2nd opinion. I scheduled surgery during my spring break, have made arrangements with profs and everything, but now am wondering if I'm rushing into this?

Sorry to be such a long post. As I said before, EKG was strange, so this may be all put off anyway.
Has anyone here treated their atypia hyperplasia other than hysterectomy? Please let me know!

Thanks,
Sharron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2007, 12:32 PM

It is my opinion that if you have any doubts at all, you should not go through with a hyst. And it is very wise to have a second GYN opinon before considering this major surgery. There are risks involved. And not everyone has a "happily ever after" experience. So if you have doubts and then things get complicated, it can be especially difficult.

And since you are scheduling your hyst during Spring Break, what happens if there are complications? I wasn't realeased for 10 days. Then I was basically on bed rest inlcuding a babysitter for myself! I would have been unable to return to school or work. I was unable to care for myself or my children. And no, I could not have cheated and did it anyway, I would have had a heart attack, literally.

I would suggest seeking another opinion, even if you have to travel to another city. I would not rush into this if you are not in a life or death situation. Weigh the pros and cons. Do what is best for you. And be sure to clarify the results of your EKG, you may need to see a cardiologist.

Many best wishes to you as you decide what is right for you!
Unread 03-10-2007, 04:24 PM

Thanks for your reply, Weiser. I've thought about all of the "what ifs" and my schedule. I'm pretty sure my instructors will work with me, two of my classes are on-line. My adviser is one of my other instructors and she just went through a hysterectomy 2 years ago.

I guess my second guessing is because I feel fine. I've only had one bout of bleeding, no spotting or anything since, and that was two months ago. No cramping, bleeding, or anything. Then to find out I have a pre-cancerous condition is freaking me out a bit. I guess I'm wondering since I'm feeling so good that maybe I can wait until May. I know these are the questions I need to ask my gyn at my pre-op appt. But everytime I read about hyperplasia, there is reference to uncontrolled bleeding and spotting.
I'll probably go ahead and have the surgery, just the mention of a possible cancer will be the deciding factor. My emotions have been all over the place!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2007, 11:29 PM

The decision to have or not have a hyst can wreck havoc on your emotions! That is completely normal!

Have you considered seeing a GYN/oncologist? Since cancer issues are their specialty, one might be able to let you know if waiting would be okay or if your situation warranted surgery now.

in there! s
Unread 03-11-2007, 12:03 AM

I would certainly seek another opinion. This is a tough choice, and no one but you can determine if you are ready.

I had the same disorder- from my research it is a pre-cancerous state, and being a breast cancer survivor, for me, the choice was easy. I have been down that road- I wanted nothing more to do with it. To be honest, even if I hadn't been a survivor I would have made the same decision given all I learned about hyperplasia.

School, while certainly central in your life and extremely important, does not compare in priority to your health, well-being and survivial. Right?

All that said- you need to be okay with your decision. ANY time you get a funny feeling about a doctor or are uncomfortable for any reason, you should honor that. Even if, in the end, they are a perfectly capable professional, YOU must mesh well with their thinking- and you must trust them to make decisions for you when you are not able to do so.

Bless you and good luck with your journey. Do let us know how you are doing.

Be well,
Jean

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register