Have a date finally scared | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Have a date finally scared Have a date finally scared

Unread 03-09-2007, 04:19 PM
Have a date finally scared

Hi
I am scheduled for a tah/bso 03/14/07. For yrs I have dealth with heavy periods, pain, bloating, cysts etc. Had a lap in july 06 with d and c, dr warned it may not be enough, it wasnt. My iron levels was/is very low although slowly rising thanks to tandem. We discussed the option of leaving 1 ovary. He does not like to take ovarys out in you are younger then 45, I am 41, but due to the fact i have a recurring cyst in my left and scar tissue on my right, we both feel it is just best to take them both out. I also have a severely retroverted uterus, my right ovary lays to the left of my belly button, go figure. I am so nervouse about this because of several reasons,
1. I do smoke, he says I am going to have to quit because smoking and HRTS are just as bad as smoking and birth control. So I told him I have 3-5 days in the hospital in which I know I cant smoke and probably wont feel like getting up and going to the smoking area anyhow the first day, he says great. I am just wondering if the withdrawls is going to add to the other with drawls Imy body will be going through after surgery? I do want to quit, I dont have a problem with that. Did anyone here smoke when you went in? How well did you come through the anesthia? I did okay in July, no problems that I know of anyhow.
2. I had to stop my aspirin as of today, HELLO aspirin withdrawls.. Yes beleive me, they happen lol. I am/was on a full aspirin a day, I have high cholestrol runs in my family, so my regular physican suggested the whole aspirin instead of just the baby aspirin. Did anyone take aspirin up to the day of surgery? Did you have any bleeding issues?
3. I am scared to death of the hospital I am having the surgery in. He is a good dr, dont get me wrong, but I have never liked this hospital. He said our big hospital is just to booked and I need this surgery. Plus the big one he says is extremly short handed. I just keep telling myself I will be okay because my Dr is the one doing the operation, not the hopital. I already have anxiety/panic attacks and I am freaking myself out totally about this one.
4. I am alone, I mean no DH, even though he says he will be around during and after the surgery, any ideas on how to make things easier for myself? I do live with my Son and his roomates. They all work. I got a bigger higher up bed with a headboard and even got myself a small dog for company.
5. I also failed my incontinence test. So I guess they have to do a bladder tack, does this make the cath have to stay in longer?
So many questions and surgery is so close.. But for now I will leave these and hope someone can help.

TIA
Katie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2007, 04:28 PM

I'm scheduled for TAH for the same day and I am also having my bladder tacked and my bowel repaired. I can not say I know how you feel about most of your issues, but I am scared as well (especially aboutthe anesthia), but I know I have people praying for me and I will pray for you also.
If you are that uncomofrtable with the hospital perhaps if it is not an emergency situation you should say you would like to wait for an opening at the other hospital. Although it is your doctor doing the procedure, it will be those nurses and staff taking care of you between visits with your doc. If you are that uneasy, recovery will be harder on you because you will not be able to relax. I suggest thoroughly talking the issue over with the doctor and doing so soon.
Unread 03-09-2007, 04:34 PM

I wouldn't take any aspirin, Naprosen (Aleve), Advil (ibuprofen) for 2 weeks before surgery. There are a whole list of herbs to avoid on this site, as well.

There is no way anyone would get me to have major surgery at a hospital I didn't love. Is there any way you can postpone until you can get into the hospital you want? Stand up for yourself, if your case is not emergent.

You can cook ahead and freeze meals for yourself. Have the house spotless when you go to the castle. That should give you a couple of weeks not to worry about cleaning. Then you should be clear for light dusting and get someone else to vacuum.

Look at the shop on the web site for the reacher thingy. It helps you pick things up without reaching or bending. This site is full of hints. You'll be fine if you prepare.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2007, 04:47 PM

Thanks Ladies,
As for the hospital I think I will be okay, just my frame of mind I think because I remember times when I wouldn't go near the big hospital lol. I think I have just let people scare me that dont like the other hospital.
He scheduled my surgery so soon because of the blood loss I am having. It has to stop. Got some of my blood work back from last week and all though my total iron is going up due to meds, other parts of my iron are at a stand still because I dont stop bleeding long enough to get it to rise.

Thanks for all the support
Hugs
Katie
Unread 03-09-2007, 04:51 PM

my abdominal hysterectomy is the 12th im scared too! they are removing my utuerus and both my ovaries im only 26 yrs old
Unread 03-09-2007, 04:55 PM

I am almost 3 months post-op, after having a hysterectomy on 12/15/06.

About the aspirin -- I had been taking several doses a day of Advil or aspirin due to a really bad case of arthritis in my hip (I have THAT surgery scheduled for June 5th). I had to give it up one week prior to surgery, because they do thin the blood. (That's why they are helpful with heart disease.) I did fine -- just toughed out the stiffness and pain, which is pretty much a daily issue anyway with or without pills. I don't think you'll have "withdrawal" from taking only one aspirin day. (I was taking maybe 2 - 6 a day.)

About the bladder tack -- I had to have that, too, because my bladder was punctured during surgery. (I had a near football-sized tumor that had squished my bladder down in the bottom of my abdominal cavity, along with displacing other things.) I had a catheter for a week, and it was NOT bad at all. I dreaded the idea, but really -- no problems. In fact, the benefit was that you have no feeling at all of needing to pee. So, you don't have to get out of bed to use the bathroom, until it's BM time. It was in before I was awake from surgery, so I didn't even know it was there until the doctor came in later and went over the surgery and its details. Removal a week later in the office was a snap -- just felt kind of weird. In the hospital, you'll have a fairly large capacity bag that a nurse will empty. (She'll measure the volume to make sure your kidneys are functioning sufficiently.) Then, they'll send you home with a portable version -- a plastic bag gets strapped onto one of your legs, whichever spot if comfortable, and I had to empty it maybe 2 or 3 times a day. There's a strap around your upper thigh, a tube from you goes down a tube to the bag, which I had strapped around the outside of one anke. At the bottom of the bag is a little spiggot. All I had to do was rest one foot on the toilet lid, lift the lever on the spiggot, and it emptied right into the toilet. Super easy. (Just kind of funny when you're walking around public and your bag gets rather full -- you start to slosh! )

Don't fear the catheter. It was nothing, really. Some people can get a bladder infection from it, which is fairly common from what I hear, but I had no trouble.

Now, perhaps I had the catheter that long, because I had an actual puncture to the bladder. I don't know if it would have come out before leaving the hospital had I had "only" a bladder tack. But, in any case, the catheter turned out to be nothing. Now, the crappy chicken broth was another problem!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register