Hysterectomy dates Mar 12-Mar 19,2007 - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Mar 12-Mar 19,2007 Hysterectomy dates Mar 12-Mar 19,2007

Unread 03-17-2007, 12:16 PM
Hysterectomy dates Mar 12-Mar 19,2007

Recovery still going fine. Each day pottering around a little more but making sure I take lots of rest time. I'm not one to sit around for more than a few minutes so that is starting to drive me crazy. Did have to take a little outing to the hospital last night. One of my incisions was looking a little funny. Had some ucky stuff under the glue. They just opened and cleaned it out and have put me on some antibiotics. Just got a little infection in it. Keep an eye on it over the next couple of days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2007, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish006
HI all, I am home too, but not doing as well as the otheres I have read!!
I haven't had a bm since Sunday(after enema) and am in some pain with that!! Surgery was almost 4 hours, woke in horrible state of mind I think.
TVH, Bladder repair, bowel repair, vaginal vault walls reapired!! Not sure what all that means, buth hope it works
Thanks,
Marcia
Tryingto deal with the DH(who is great) and 7 kids under 11 (they are crazy)
Marcia, I'm sorry to hear how challenging the surgery must have been. If I could ask, what are you eating and how are you managing pain? I can offer my own anecdotal experience from my surgery: I had to have a bowel prep Sunday for surgery Monday, and they did not let me have any food, even clear liquids, till Wed. AM. I was starving and cranky beyond measure. And the challenge was how to walk with no nutrition and no energy? I did have lots of bowel noise Tuesday anyway. I quit the morphine in a day, and stopped Dilaudid by 4am Wed., switching to just Motrin. All narcotics are incredibly constipating, so it's a double edged sword. You want to manage pain, but you also have to get the systems fully operational again. My pain was obviated very quickly by walking and moving a lot, and after I finally got some food in, I had stool just a few hours later, then more in the morning. I can only suggest to you that if you can manage the pain without narcotics and eat gently (lots of water is very important, chew your food thoroughly and keep moving), the stool will reappear: promise.
You don't want to rely on stool softeners and laxatives. Soft fiber like oatmeal and certain fruits really do help.
Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
Unread 03-17-2007, 03:43 PM
Back to life's basics

My surgery was on TLH on Tuesday, today I feel more sore than I did on the 3d day, but I think I may have missed one of the Tylenol doses???
Tried a suppository today and had some results, also taking stool softners. Had pretty good results up until today but I ate a BLT sandwich last night and maybe it was too much after three days of liquids and bland foods.
How basic life becomes when you find yourself wandering around wondering when you will poop next?
Sammi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2007, 04:28 PM

Today's been another good day here. My doctor kept using the illustration of the frog and boiling water: if you put a frog in boiling water, he'll jump out, but if you put him in water and heat it gradually to boiling, he'll stay in and die because he gets accustomed to the heat and it eventually kills him. Endo is the same - if I'd gone from the way I felt at 18 when I was diagnosed to how I felt before my hysterectomy, I'd have jumped out of the boiling water knowing how bad it was, but since it's spent ten years getting gradually worse, I've learned to live with it and compensate. Anyways, all that to say, I am definitely feeling improvements already! My back doesn't ache, and I'm not exhausted all the time - tired from the surgery, yes, but not the bone-weary exhaustion I felt before.

Frankly, I'm bored out of my skull. I'm averaging 1 1/2 books per day, plus at least one nap, and I'm BORED!! The weather here has been goregous, so I've been able to sit outside on the porch swing and read, relax, and just breathe, but I'm not used to being this still. It's kind of nice to actually feel bored - I'm usually going ninety to nothing, so this is a nice change!
Unread 03-18-2007, 06:16 AM

Had TAH/BSO, Appendectomy and MMK on March14th, As suspected the hospital staff was HORRIBLE, But I managed. Just got home late the 17th, dr would not release me sooner because the hospital staff screwed up and took the catherer out too soon.. My bladder refused to work. Working fine now though so it seems. I am trying to move a bit for the gas by letting the doggie out etc, just mostly tired more then anything.
Hope every one else is doing okay. Will check in more later

Hugs
Katie
Unread 03-18-2007, 07:39 AM
5days post op (surg. Mar 13)

surgery went well -- glad I had the TAH -- two large (mellon sized) fibroid had consumed the uterus, so all that came out. ovaries good, so they stayed in. Hospital stay was a nightmare - nurse from hell, hospital from hell.

each day feel better. Not sure how much is too much to do. But give in to sleepiness and tired ness easily.
Unread 03-18-2007, 07:46 AM

Marcia! Whew! You got the works. Boy, I think you had enough surgery to last for a while, and it's probably going to be somewhat of a slower recovery for all that to heal. So I guess, just take it easy -- baby steps? Life by the inch is a cinch -- by the yard is hard. Be Kind to Yourself.
Unread 03-18-2007, 12:42 PM

Well I am four days out and still very tired. I have cut back on the pain pills and seem to be tolerating it ok. I picked up a sinux infection during my stay at the castle. i am so scared I am going to rip something open everytime I cough. I am passing gas and making my rounds around the house but have yet to have a BM. Praying it will happen today. It is amazing what I am having to teach my body to do again.
Unread 03-18-2007, 02:03 PM

Yesterday, I treated myself to a ducolax suppository and that seemed to do the trick for a bm, however modest. But I had to use another suppository today with equally good results.
Hold your pillow to your guts for the coughing -- It hurts! I really didn't expect it to hurt this much. Good luck. :0
Unread 03-18-2007, 04:11 PM
5th Day

I seem to be less sore than yesterday which was my fourth day, and bowels seem to be functioning again without effort. I am taking 2 stool softners in the AM and two in PM,and it seems to be working fine.
I also was eating liquids until day 4 when I switched to light vegetarian: Greek Yogurt, brown rice and mushrooms, peanut butter toast, raw carrot salad, oatmeal. I think I will stay Veg until at least the fourth or fifth week, I could lose some weight anyway.
Had a total laproscopic hyster and puncture holes seem to be healing fine, I shower every day and wash my hair. Walk on treadmill at 1 mph for 10 min in morning and night. Last night was the first night I slept in three hour blocks, I was awake very hour before.
Discharge barely visible or brownish but tiny.
Main problem is bladder is still crabby and I feel like any little bit of urine makes me want to pee. I guess when the swelling is internal it may put some pressure on front wall of vagina and that annoys the bladder. Hope this goes away soon.
Anybody else found they are peeing more on the week after surgery?
Sami4

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register