Hysterectomy dates Mar 12-Mar 19,2007 - Page 47 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Mar 12-Mar 19,2007 Hysterectomy dates Mar 12-Mar 19,2007

Unread 04-17-2007, 07:13 PM
Hysterectomy dates Mar 12-Mar 19,2007

Sami, maybe I should have been a little bit clearer... Its not just my bladder being upset that is causing all the pee. It is also water-weight gain that my body accrued after surgery which accounts for the swelling. My ankles and fingers are swollen and he said I need to pee it out which on top of an irritable bladder makes me pee like every two seconds. Yes, your theory makes sense, but so does my doctors theory. I believe both of you. So onward with peeing I shall go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2007, 07:19 PM
dropped shoe

Ok, other shoe dropped today. Not such a good feeling day as yesterday and dang hernia thing pulling again. Driving, even just a LITTLE bit seems to really take it out of me. Actually, being in the car. It doesn't seem to matter if I"M driving or someone else. Hopefully some of this discomfort is the stitches being absorbed thing because the pain is not just the hernia area, but a general achey tingling feeling all over down there PLUS the "hernia". I say hopefully because that's ONE more step in the right direction toward overall healing.

Got a list several items long to take to my Dr. appointment on Friday. I doubt I'll be given the go ahead to go back to work though. Not if she still doesn't want me driving (gave permission for absolute necessary driving --- kids to school --- only.).

Sami, I suspect there's a grain of truth to both theories on why so much peeing -- some from swelling being absorbed. HOWEVER, it can't be only that. I've got a lot of swelling but am not peeing more than I'd expect for normal. Can't hold the pee if it's in there for long but not peeing more than usual. I'm with you for the most part, I bet more of the problem is trauma to the bladder. Do you drink much cranberry juice. I always have because it's what I like best other than water or iced tea. But I wonder if that's another reason why I'm not having much bladder issues. Funny, just the other day, I saw one of the Ocean Spray cranberry commercials that mentioned the benefits to kidneys and bladder of cranberry juice.

Well, time's up on how long I can sit at this computer. Sitting seems to aggravate things down there the most. Lying flat is ONLY thing that feels ok.

Keep healing all . LJC
Unread 04-18-2007, 02:00 AM

Hi girls,

had some advice re hip pain from my boss who is a chiropracter and she thinks it is purely mechanical and I need to step up on activity and also start some exercises so feel a lot better about it. When it gets bad I have to take codeine which has a knock on effect on bowels so then have to take senna... viscious circle!

Am feeling generally OK other than the tiredness. General aches and pains in tum but not taking anything for it.

Smudgie - I agree with the others that your bladder probs are due to both explanations (I too have a nursing background).

The girls who are returning to work after 6 weeks - what sort of hyst did you have as I couldn't even contemplate the walk to work never mind actually working!

Jo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2007, 03:24 AM

Hello everyone. I am also at my 5wk point. Doing fairly well. Still have the sharp pains and tingly feeling down there and the peeing issues. I went to the doc on Fri. and she could not or just didn't give me an explanation for the pain during urinating. The things you guys said make so much sence. All my doc said was "you don't have a infection and your culture came back neg." So I left not knowing what the heck was wrong. Also still no help with the sleepless nights. She gave me Sonata, I took it around 9pm woke up at 1am and could not go back to sleep. I finally laid down about 3pm. This has to get better. I mentioned it to her and still no explanation. I think the lack of rest is causing my emotions to go haywire. DH forgot to bring me a snicker bar home from the grocery store and I freaked out. Started crying and could not stop. I'm not a crier. I think it scared him because he left and brought back 2 packs of snickers. (Just a reminder, I had abdominal hyst. with removal of uterus and cervix, due to Adnomyosis).
Unread 04-18-2007, 06:01 AM

love art...you hang in there. It does get better. But dont over do it.
Unread 04-18-2007, 06:54 AM
with you

Jo, I'm with you. I can't imagine going back to work. Next week would be my 6th and supposed release date. If I'm feeling like this, NO WAY. I had a "simple" TVH (left ovaries). Surgery took just over 30 min. !!! So I don't think the type of surgery has too much to do with it. Just different recovery healing rates. I will say, I think mine has been complicated by my old hernia repair reacting to the surgery. Not expected and it's definitely interfering with my recovery. On the other hand, this week has been much more of the burning/heavy/achey feeling all over abdomen that I had at the beginning, along with the hernia thing. And because of the hernia issue (still limited on driving), I'm still a house slug so it's not overactivity. I think it's more like innards reacting to sutures dissolving and more (if later) normal recovery.

I go on Friday for my "6 week" check-up and am interested in what Dr. finds and says.
LJC
Unread 04-18-2007, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbjah
The girls who are returning to work after 6 weeks - what sort of hyst did you have as I couldn't even contemplate the walk to work never mind actually working!

Jo.
Hi Jo,
I'm actually medically cleared to work this week (5 wks. post op), but I have a home office, so I've been "cheating" being on the computer and phone anyway since week 2! I do travel a lot for work, however, so once I get back to the luggage lifting, I'm sure I'll have to be very careful. Everything's on wheels, thank goodness!
I had a TAH, BSO...the works. Midline incision, which closed very quickly, without incident. The difference for me is that I went into the procedure healthy and fit, which I believe has accounted for my quick bounce afterward.
I haven't yet gone back to yoga or Pilates yet (next week), but have been walking every day since week 3. I occasionally feel twinges in my right hip (the 10cm. mass they took out was on that side), but it's not enough to slow me down or make me reach for anything other than maybe a 200mg. ibuprophen. I never relied on OTC pain meds anyway; usually, stretching and regular exercise with deep breathing take care of the minor aches. So does a good night's sleep! I do have a regular daily regimen of vitamins, including a multiple with minerals, B-complex, glucosamine/MSM and calcium, and have lots of soy in my diet. I'm a dairy hound, so I've been careful to substitute soy milk, yogurt, etc. for some of it. Can't give up the really good cheese, though, but everything in moderation seems to be working for me. They slapped an estrogen patch on me in the hospital, and so far, I haven't felt any difference from before, so I guess it's working! I never reallly had much in the way of hot flashes, sweats or anything anyway.
I can't wait to work off the little pouchiness in my belly starting next week!
Good luck to you and happy healing.
Unread 04-18-2007, 07:59 AM

Harpgolfer - hope I didn't offend you. I hadn't really thought about it but I have had endometriosis for a very long time and was in a bad way before surgery and was taking regular pain meds and anti-sickness meds so I suppose it will take me a lot longer to recover. I feel I have turned the corner this week but anticipate at least another 4 or 5 weeks before I can think about returning to work. I am also getting hip pain from not being able to mobilise as quickly as I should but my pre op mobility was not good due to endo.

Jo.
Unread 04-18-2007, 08:25 AM

jo -- I think there's a huge difference in the types of work we are returning to. And for someone who works at a Dr.'s office, ushering patients to their rooms-- has to virtually be on your feet 8 hours a day, with patients every 15 mins. or so -- and the stress level of that kind of work? It's very physically and mentally demanding.

During recovery is never a time to start an exercise regimen. A friend of mine developed so many adhesions post hysterectomy because her mother became ill and care of her mother fell to her-- my friend spent a year in physical therapy undoing the damage that was caused by that overexertion.

Also, didn't we just hear of someone who returned to their 'desk job' after a week of recovery, only to hemorrhage?

moral of the story -- take all the time you need to recover. Pace yourself -- Don't worry about what others are doing.
Unread 04-18-2007, 08:30 AM

Good Morning everyone. Well, I feel like a new woman this morning. Let's hope it lasts through the day! Went out for dinner last night, just hubby and me but got home for a reasonably early night. Felt so "heavy / sore / achy" that I gave in and took a demoral pill to get comfortable. Felt bad giving in to having to take a stronger pain pill but it did give me a good night's rest and I feel so much better this morning. Has been a rough few days. Not with problems with healing but just busy busy busy and no chance for much "tortoising". On the work issue that everyone's talking about. I work from home (we run our own business) and because it's "right there" have been working since post op day 2. Admittedly the first couple weeks I rested a lot in between working for an hour or so but gradually have gone back to a normal long day at the desk/computer. My surgery was LSH so thankfully the recovery has been a lot easier than most of you ladies with abdominal or vaginal surgeries. Yesterday was one of those days that I sat at the desk from 8 am untill we left for dinner at 6 pm. Didn't even stop to eat at all. I know it's stupid of me but I am one of those people who can't just leave things. If it gets left then every day gets tougher to catch up.

Good wishes to everyone.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register