Question about uterus size | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question about uterus size Question about uterus size

Unread 03-12-2007, 01:37 PM
Question about uterus size

I haven't had a lap done since may of 2004. But I have noticed in the last year that my belly is looking a little like I am in the third of fourth month of a pregnancy. I have also gained a few pounds. But I haven't been doing anything different and the weight seems to be in just the belly area. I have read a few of you posted about large uteruses and fibroids making you look like this. It is strange that my dr is going ahead with a LVAH when he hasn't seen what is in there in awhile? I am wondering if I am not going to find myself with a TAH afterall. And can it be just my girly problems that are making me look this way and not me gaining weight? Sorry, in am 43 hours out and getting a little anxious. Not that I am counting or anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2007, 03:00 PM

Do you know if you have fibroids? They can grow very quickly sometimes. Before my course of Lupron, I was huge and unable to do up zippers or buttons, etc ... and that was all down to one enormous and rapidly growing fibroid.

I've read many posts where surgeries have been changed to an abdominal incision. It's something you'll need to be prepared for if your doctor hasn't seen you in a while.

I'm sure he/she will discuss everything with you before surgery. Try not to worry too much.

All good wishes for Wednesday.

Unread 03-13-2007, 08:15 AM

I never really got my non-pregnant shape back after ds was born in 2000. (In all truth, I'm hardly svelte.) I just chalked up my belly to age and gaining weight, but when I started having trouble singing, I knew there was a problem.

The doctor said my uterus was "pretty enlarged" and from the looks of the pictures (click on "my photos" if you want to see it after it came out of me) -- he was right. It was 15x10x7 cm, and to me it looked like a balloon. Strangely enough, though -- it only weighed in at 370 grams. (Shucks -- I was hoping for something a little more dramatic! ) Many sisters find their fibroids, etc. increase their weight by several pounds.

It is possible that your surgery will have to be converted to an abdominal one, as the other (((sister))) said. But hopefully they can still do it vaginally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2007, 02:13 PM

I always "knew" that my uterus was larger than the doc thought, and I was convinced that I would have to be converted...I wasn't thank goodness, but the doc did tell me that he considered converting twice, but waited it out because he knew that it was important to me to have the shorter time off work.
Ended up that I had a 425 gram uterus and over 20 fibroids!
Unread 03-13-2007, 02:37 PM

I knew that my uterus was large, I was told I had 5 fibroids and my uterus was very bulky....anyhow, and had a TVH on Feb 7 and I was told that my Dr. had to break it down into about 18 pieces for it to be removed. I feel like a new woman, I don't have the feeling like I was always sitting on something and that it was pressing on my bladder. My recovery (In my eyes) is taking long, I just have to be patient.

Good luck and everything will go fine !!
Rhonda
Unread 03-13-2007, 04:43 PM

My uterus was full of fibroids, and before I found out about the fibroids, I swore that I looked four months pregnant. I'm a petite person. My uterus measured 24-weeks pregnant. I can remember looking down at my stomach a few hours after I was in the room, when the nurse was checking, and removed the bandage, and thinking, that's the stomach I'm supposed to have.

Even with the swelly belly that is in the process of going away, I'm still smaller than when I had the darn things in there. I had a TAH, and I am jealous of all of you that can have vaginal hysters. My uterus was just way to big and distorted, for them to try any other way.

Good luck, and YES, they most definitely can make you look pregnant, or even like you have a little beer belly!
Unread 03-14-2007, 04:10 PM

I am a little curious about my uterus size, too. I have always been bottom heavy, but never really had a fat tummy. I know I have lots of fibroids, the sonogram tech said she would need all day to measure them-One is pretty big and sitting on my bladder. I have a cystocele, too. It would be nice if my belly size declines with the surgery (April 17)
Unread 03-14-2007, 05:29 PM

Ladies with fibroids, you will be skinny again! I had a 4 month uterus and becuase when I was 30 I also had a 4 month uterus (had a myomectomy) and it didn't show thought I had put on the pounds.

The first day I stepped out of the shower I grabbed my husband and showed him how skinny I was. He said what did you expect? I was pleasantly surprized.

I had an TAH and it was not that bad so don't worry even if it is changed.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register