any PCOS sisters here?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > Hysteritaville General Discussions

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

any PCOS sisters here?? any PCOS sisters here??

Unread 03-13-2007, 01:38 PM
any PCOS sisters here??

Hi. I had a hysterectomy at age 36 (took uterus and ovaries). I have had PCOS for the last 20 years but was just diagnosed about 5-6 years ago. Any sisters out there also dealing with PCOS and all its problems? I haven't been able to find hardly anything on the web on my own dealing with PCOS after hysterectomy. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2007, 04:37 PM
any PCOS sisters here??

Jane,
I have seen some discussions on the forums with women dealing with PCOS. You can do a search of the forums and use PCOS as your keyword. You should come up with a quite a few threads.

We also have some good info in the Resources section. HysterSister Resources Type PCOS in the search box to narrow the results.

That should give you some reading material until someone comes along with firsthand experience.

Unread 03-13-2007, 07:57 PM
any PCOS sisters here??

Hi Iowa--

I also have PCOS and just had my hyster in Dec..I've been doing tons of research and talking with my primary care doc, who is awesome!! Unfortunately the hyster does not take away the PCOS symptoms except for lowering your testosterone some after removal of the ovaries. Since its an androgen disorder all the symptoms will still stick around. I currently take 1000mg Glucophage daily and Spironolactone for my PCOS symptoms. I have not had my insulin levels checked since my surgery, I am hoping to get those done next week at the doctor..I am curious to see if anything is better... Nice to hear there's more of us out there dealing with this!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-14-2007, 09:57 AM
any PCOS sisters here??

Kim, Sorry to ask such a dumb question, but how do I do a search? I can't seem to find the "Search" button anywhere in the forums? Please help this blind old woman!!!
Unread 03-21-2007, 04:21 PM
any PCOS sisters here??

My GYN said that I'm no longer considered PCOS because my ovaries have been removed. Strange - because I'm still Insulin Resistant and have some of the other symptoms. I think you asked a really good question.
Unread 03-21-2007, 04:55 PM
any PCOS sisters here??

Hi Jane,
You will find the search feature near the top of the forums. It is on the right hand side below where you see your name in light purple letters. You should see "welcome Iowajane". Just below that you will see a link to your private messages, than below that is a darker purple box. There you will see "Search" "Quick Links" "Log Out" in white letters. Click on the arrow next to the word "Search". A box will appear for you to type in a keyword, this will search thru all the forums. Or you can click on the advanced search option and narrow your search to a particular forum, dates, etc.

I hope I have helped. You can read more helpful tips in our Help&Info section https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/faq.php

Unread 03-21-2007, 06:48 PM
any PCOS sisters here??

Hi Noni-

You still have PCOS. I have done tons and tons of research on this..before and after my hyster. Its your androgens that are out of whack and removal of the ovaries doesn't eliminate that. You will still have the insulin resistance. Are you being treated for that? I went to 3 OB/GYNs and finally found a nurse practioner who was very educated in PCOS. Not knocking the docs..just that alot of them just don't know enough about it. Take care!
Unread 03-21-2007, 09:54 PM
any PCOS sisters here??

Hi

I have PCOS also I am on metformin, spironolactone and synthroid.

It's true, PCOS is not cured by an oophorectomy. It is a disorder of the entire endocrine system. You might need to see an endocrinologist for this, or you can try what I did. I went to a local compounding pharmacy and asked them to recommend a Dr who is very knowledgeable about women's hormones, surgical menopause, PCOS and also prescribes bio-identical HRT. At my surprise, they actually had several names for me. The Dr I chose is actually a family Practice Dr who has an interest in this area.

I wasn't actually diagnosed with PCOS until right after my surgery either, and I have had symptoms for 30 years (at least).

You will find the articles about PCOS here : Hormone Basics There are several titled PCOS or Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. They are listed in alphabetical order, so you have to scroll down to the "P's"

To all us PCOS "sisters"..... hang in there

Unread 03-22-2007, 09:51 AM
any PCOS sisters here??

Thanks - I'll check out the articles.

I have talked about my PCOS/Insulin Resistance with two endocrinologists in town, my PCP, my GYN & another GYN in the same office as my GYN. ALL of them tell me that I am no longer PCOS and there is nothing I can do to treat Insulin Resistance. One of them (my GYN) said the ONLY thing that will work for me is having Gastric By-Pass surgery (which I don't want to have).

If there is no article about "how to find a doctor in your area that treats PCOS", then I'd like to know how to find this type of doctor.

Thanks again.
Unread 03-22-2007, 11:32 AM
any PCOS sisters here??

NoniOhio,

I'm so sorry, having a Dr who is up to date is critical in getting the care that you need. There is a site , www.soulcysters.com which is all about PCOS. They, unfortunately, don't have much on PCOS after oophorectomy, but they do have a lot of members. You may be able to post there and get a referral to a knowledgable Dr in your area.

Have you tried going through a compounding pharmacist like I did? Are you close to a large city?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register