TAH 1 week post - I feel worse | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TAH 1 week post - I feel worse TAH 1 week post - I feel worse

Unread 03-14-2007, 01:53 AM
TAH 1 week post - I feel worse

I had a great experience with my surgery; awesome surgeon, successful surgery, private room, great family support, felt physically well. Surgery 3/5 in the afternoon, home 3/7 by 10am in time to watch The View. I felt well all week. by Sunday night I was starting to feel "bad". Now, Tues night and I feel worse than I did just after the surgery. I am definitely aware of the site where my uterus was. I feel like there is a frog kicking me in there. My incision is throbbing all of a sudden.

I did the usual check-in; no signs of infection, no fevers, etc. I guess I thought I would just continue from the place I was last week; feeling really well. I guess I am in denial that I actually have to recover from this major surgery.

I am taking it easy (although I have to FORCE myself to do this), reading alot, taking naps (which I NEVER do), and sitting in my yard.

I am just looking for some support to help me understand that I AM moving forward and I just have to wait it out. I would like to hear from other women where they are in their recovery process!

Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-14-2007, 02:20 AM

Hi,

I experienced the same. 1st week-great, 2nd week so-so, 3rd week I was so tired I could barely get out of bed, and now 4th week and I am improving.

I think that is normal. Doc says the body goes in stages of healing, and it is very normal to have a good week, then a bad few days, then improve.

Just have to be patient. However, if you are concerned AT ALL or have a fever- you should call your doctor. Sometimes just a quick chat,even with a nurse, can help alleviate your anxiety.

Best,
Jean
Unread 03-14-2007, 04:24 AM

For some people recovery from major surgery might be linear - that is, you get better day on day and it's all plain sailing. It didn't happen like that for me - I had a significantly harder time in weeks 3 and 4 than in weeks 1 and 2 and I understand that's normal. By then, my external incision was settling nicely, but I was in a lot of discomfort on my left side (I had a lot of work done there.) I was sleeping badly, tiring very easily and still had enough pain to justify anti-inflammatories or opiate painkillers. I'm in week 8 now and feeling much better - the pain has reduced to the odd twinge and tiredness and a bit of swelling is my only real problem. It does get better, but the stage you are at at the moment can be interminable; I felt as if it was never going to end and there are certainly no quick-fixes. The only thing that works is the usual - rest, gentle exercise, ample fluids and more rest.

Sharon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-14-2007, 09:11 AM

I had TVH same day as you and I'm experiencing the same. I felt better last week than I do now. I do ok in the morning, but by afternoon am wiped out and feel sick to my stomach. I've tried to start adding in more activity in the mornings when I'm feeling ok, and maybe that is it. I think it is just part of the process. Still need to be patient with ourselves!
Unread 03-14-2007, 12:45 PM

Feel like sludge today too. I guess it's par for the course. I have hope though that we will get back to normal one day. Better than before though because I was bleeding constantly. So wouldn't want to go BACK, rather go forward, eh?
Unread 03-14-2007, 01:41 PM

callalilly - I am just a little over three weeks post surgery for TAH-BSO and recovery is still a roller coaster ride for me. Start out feeling not too bad in the morning, do a few things and suddenly feel horrible and frustrated and emotional!! I am impatient with this whole process but from reading other posts I realize that this seems to be the normal progression of things. You are likely to have several more weeks of feeling this way - just rest assured you are not alone and aren't abnormal in the way you are healing. All the reading I did on this site pre-surgery did not really prepare me for the way I have felt post-op.....each day has been a challenge and sometimes a struggle and all I can do is hold on to the hope that someday I will feel like myself again. My biggest concern is going back to work full-time in three weeks....with the way I feel now it is hard to imagine. You are only a week out so don't expect much of yourself - take care and try to focus on the small progress you make each day - and I should follow my own advice!!!!!!!!!!
Unread 03-14-2007, 03:40 PM

I am one week out from surgery on 3-7-07. Yesterday I had my staples removed and mentioned to me doctor that I am emotional. He said it is part of the process of having surgery. I am good with the answer but for some reason I feel I am more emotional than others, I am sure that is not true but it is how I feel. Any suugestions? Also I have felt pretty good with my incisions I just have to remember not to over do it. I hate sitting around so this is hard for me.
Unread 03-14-2007, 03:44 PM

The 2nd week was worst for me. That is probably because I slept through the 1st week. My dr. told me that usually the 2nd week is when alot of internal healing takes place.

Hope you feel better.

Sherri
Unread 03-14-2007, 03:51 PM

Remember your body just went through a major change. Give yourself some time to recuperate, 1 step forward, 2 steps back. 2 steps forward, 1 step back. You will do just fine.
Unread 03-14-2007, 04:26 PM

Hey Neighbor (Coloradoan),

I have been pretty emotional too, lots of ups and downs. I didn't have my ovaries removed, but I am certain they are enjoying a bit of a vacation. Hope they went somewhere warm, with a beach.

I just cried at a Hallmark commericial....

Jean

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register