sex after rectocele and tvh | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

sex after rectocele and tvh sex after rectocele and tvh

Unread 03-14-2007, 10:00 AM
sex after rectocele and tvh

Am I right to assume that because I had a rectocele repair that it will take longer to get the all clear than if I had only had the hysterectomy?

I am really worried about the pain sex will bring on. And the doctor sewed the vaginal opening up really really small, and told me not to worry, I was once this small befor I had children and everything was fine then. I think I am just so worried about the pain I will be in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-14-2007, 12:46 PM

I have the same concerns. My Doc told my DH that he would have a 16yo. He told us that for about the first 5-6 months I would think everything was too tight, but that it be be OK. The Dr. said that everything was tight so that I would just have to do this 1 time.
I will be 6 weeks out tomorrow but we are waiting untill at least the 8 week mark to even think about trying.
Unread 03-14-2007, 11:26 PM

If I had a dime for everytime I told my Dr not to get too carried away in the tightness dept I would be rich!!! It was the last thing I said before I went into OR!

I am also VERY nervous and I think I am going to wait 12 weeks. I can barely get the Premarin applicator in at 4 1/2 weeks. I sure don't think I will be ready to play in 4 more weeks.

TMI sex stuff...
Dr did give me a really long talk about needing atleast 30 min of
foreplay without any intercourse and to be sure and be on top so you had all the control. It was enough to scare me into waiting a year. I don't think DH will go for that but I am going to stall!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-15-2007, 07:12 AM

I waited until 14 weeks post-op to try (doctor said 12 weeks) and the opening didn't really hurt, but I have a muscle up in there that hurt before surgery and it still does, I definately need to go to physical therapy for it. It feels like a ridge, my dh can feel it to. We are still trying to 'stretch' it, but so far we have only been able to finish once. But we're not giving up yet. I do see the doctor for the referral in several weeks. Make sure you have lots of lubrication on hand. Hugs.
Unread 03-15-2007, 10:25 AM

You guys are making me glad I'm single and without significant other! I don't even want to think about having sex after this operation, lol! Would five years be soon enough?

Starfrost
Unread 03-17-2007, 12:10 PM

msmagee, before you get too worried about this, the statistics I've read say that most women--about 70%--don't have any extra pain after having rectocele repairs than before. So, it is FAR more likely that you will be in the majority than in the minority in this category. Please, relax and don't fret over something that will most likely NOT even turn out to be a problem. After each surgery I've had, my doctor has always advised me to use plenty of lubrication and to be cautious. I'm sure you can take your time and see how things go.

I had a rectocele repair on the very same day you did and I'm not worried about dyspareunia once I'm given the all-clear to resume sexual relations. The pain I had before from the mesh erosion had to have been worse than anything else. I have NOT had any pain since the surgery such as a feeling that things are 'too tight' and I've been applying premarin cream every other day since surgery also.

My next post-op appointment is the 26th and I don't know if I'll be given the okay yet because I still have undissolved stitches for now.

Remember--it is likely you will heal normally and NOT have a problem. S to you......
Unread 03-22-2007, 12:17 AM

I am reading threads to learn about retrocele. . . and I am.

Did you kow there used to be a practioce after a women has given birth to "give" her a "husband's knot?" That is the "special" suture to make a woman feel tight for her husband, not necessarily great for her! I mean, I hear ya when you say the Doc said it was better to do it once than again later. . . but really. . .

Sorry to be negative. - but any Doc who does that. . . .reportable.
Unread 03-22-2007, 03:32 PM

Hi I am very interested in what your symptoms were with the mesh erosion. I had a Tvh/ bso and bladder sling all went very well until I started having sharp pains and tenderness in one area where I assume the bladder sling was attached and then a burning sensation. The pain can be so bad it brings tears and I can't move the slightest bit. It does not last all day and it goes away by not totally. My gyno said wait 10 weeks for deep stitched repair but I am convinced this is not right and I called my urologist to report symptoms today. I hav an apt. tomorrow. If you could let me know if you had any similar pain I would be grateful. Thanks. Sounds like you have had your share on bad times with all the operations. I hope you are well now.
Unread 04-16-2007, 10:36 AM

Hey guys, I had to look back awhile to find this! Msmagee, you had your repair the same time as me. Have you tried things out? I finally got the nerve up the other night and it was not as painful as I thought but perineal repair is obviously not healed completely as it is swolllen and very uncomfortable 2 days later.(I did have really slow healing, a torn stitch and an infection) We went very slow and used lots of lube. The inside seems to have held up ok and true to his word, the Dr made things pretty darn tight!

I just wondered how long everyone else took before it felt good?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register