enlarged uterus.... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

enlarged uterus.... enlarged uterus....

Unread 03-14-2007, 12:26 PM
enlarged uterus....

Just had my exam done today and the doctor noticed my uterus is enlarged and asked about fibroids. Looking and sounding like a total blonde I asked if that was the same as being told I've had *a* cyst since a teenager and several doctors blowing it off (and my complaints about painful cycles) and them saying it's normal? He said I am a perfect candidate for the hysterectomy but since my family (military) doctor refused to do the scope or vaginal U/S our insurance may not pay for the surgery until I've had the scope and something else done first. I was lucky enough to get a different doctor JUST to give me the referral to this guy and now I may be back to square one. I just ended yet another extremely painful and messy cycle and I just feel let down for some reason because it all revolves around a PITA doctor and insurance company. *sigh*

He did say to call the scheduling lady on Monday and I should be able to find out Monday if I'm scheduling a hysterectomy or, in my opinion, going thru hoops for the other tests first because our insurance wants a referral from a PCM before they'll do anything, so I keep going in circles. :-(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-14-2007, 12:34 PM
enlarged uterus....

Hi,
Just wanted to say hi and let you know I call my dog PITA all the time. LOL
Good luck...it is a pain to have to jump through the hoops but unavoidable sometimes.

June
Unread 03-14-2007, 02:08 PM
enlarged uterus....

I know jumping through hoops can be frustrating, but at the same time you are able to rule out various medical conditions and possible find that there is an option other than a hyst available for you.

You may want to read through some of our resources while you are waiting so you can learn more about your specific medical conditions.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-14-2007, 10:01 PM
enlarged uterus....

I just figured out what you meant by "PITA" but then again, I'm a blonde too! LOL

Is your family doctor also an OB/GYN? Most of them have US right in the exam room and can do it right there while you watch on your own screen without having to send you to radiology. You didn't say how old you are, but I agree with Weiser that you should exhaust all options first. Good luck with the "PITA" red tape and hope you get an answer soon!
Unread 03-15-2007, 03:25 PM
enlarged uterus....

No, my PCM is a military (family practice) doctor and she was the one who refused to even do the scope or "female" ultrasound or give me a referral to anyone who would. (I had an u/s but only to look for gallstones she said i had, but didn't exist) She wouldn't even look in my records that had all the info from the bad pap, fibroids, extremely painful, long, messy cycles, dysplasia & three colposcopies and other mammo, etc, since 2001. I just turned 40 last month and this doctor I'm seeing now said with all the pain & problems I have, he recommends taking the uterus & cervix and being done with it. There's no reason to have either, but with military insurance they may fight the surgery since the other tests weren't done (thanks to my idiot military doctor).

btw, I only got the referral to him because I was finally able to see someone else a couple/few months ago since my PCM was out. Thank GOD! He had no problem giving it to me and was quite shocked my PCM was giving me grief about it. He is now my new PCM. :-)
Unread 03-15-2007, 04:07 PM
enlarged uterus....

First, so sorry to hear you had to have issues with your PCM...I know from experience that they can be complete idiots and now that you have to have issues w/ insurance I feel even worse for you...I know what a pain they can be. Also, I know it can be tedious but I would complain to patient advocacy about the way your first PCM treated you. I had a really bad experience with a PCM about 5 years ago and took it up the chain of command and was able to get my problems looked at a lot faster and had much better care after that. Best of luck and hopefully you will be able to get the surgery sooner rather then later!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register