Help! Surgery tomorrow morning - bowel prep problem | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Help! Surgery tomorrow morning - bowel prep problem Help! Surgery tomorrow morning - bowel prep problem

Unread 03-18-2007, 07:39 PM
Help! Surgery tomorrow morning - bowel prep problem

I'm worried that my bowel prep for surgery in the morning has taken a bad turn. I followed instructions exactly and my abdomen is now very swollen and painful. I have had "movement" and it is all watery. It's been several smaller movements and not a few large ones. My bowel prep is:

nothing but liquid starting midnight Saturday night
Reglan at noon
Phospho soda at 4
Reglan at 6
4 Dulcolax at 7
1 Flagyl (antibiotic) at bedtime

It's now 9:30 and I'm not sure if my reaction is unusual or not. Please tell me if you had a very sore and swollen abdomen after bowel prep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-18-2007, 08:20 PM

I had to do the phopho soda as well. Took 1st tablespoon in 8 oz of water at 12.30 (lunchtime), 2nd lot at 3.30 and 3rd dose at 6.30. I felt so bloated and uncomfortable and until 7.30 had passed nothing. Was beginning to wonder if it was going to work. At 7.30 I then had to run to the bathroom and spent 2 hours solid on the toilett passing (mostly liquid) every 5 to 10 minutes. I just stayed there until I could go 15 minutes without nothing happening. Went to bed and was then up again at 1.30 am and on the pot for another 45 minutes. SO, don't worry, if you've taken the doses as you should then something will happen eventually and all that bloatness will go away.
Unread 03-18-2007, 08:28 PM

My first round with bowel prep was for the old fashioned gall bladder surgery. (No laprascope.) I was an absolute mess. Bloating, felt like my abdomen was a punching bag for Sugar Ray Leonard. Then, to top it off, I had round after round of diarrhea... I could hardly sit by the end of the evening my bottom was so sore. If you are really concerned, call your doc's office & check with the nursing service or on-call doc, hospital, etc. to ask them if this is normal. Best of luck to you l&c, I'll keep you in my prayers.

Sue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-18-2007, 08:41 PM

hi, light. you sound normal to me. at the end of my prep, it was all water. my last round was supposed to be at 7 p.m.; however, since all I was doing was "shooting out water" I didn't take the last round. Plus I wanted to try to get a good nights rest before surgery.

Good luck to you.
Unread 03-18-2007, 10:04 PM

I had to do the soda as well. The thing that worked best (discovered by accident then almost had one ) walk walk walk. don't do stuff that requires bending -makes tummy hurt. but walking - going up dand down stairs..etc gets stuff moving and all of a sudden - it's pottyville. Best wishes!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register