Hysterectomy dates Mar 19-Mar 26,2007 - Page 18 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Mar 19-Mar 26,2007 Hysterectomy dates Mar 19-Mar 26,2007

Unread 03-31-2007, 05:22 PM
Hysterectomy dates Mar 19-Mar 26,2007

Mersey, I'm sorry about your mom. It's really sad when a parent gets ill......for so long they were our rocks. Ya know? My Grandma is gone, too and lived to a ripe old age of 96. Had all her faculties and was a total riot! She was never wheelchair bound and danced at every wedding. I miss her, too. We have several angels to call upon.

Pregnant? Yikes......well at least given the circumstances, you know it was a dream.....

Too many men? That's normally my issue - a testosterone extravaganza!!!, but my son is with his dad this weekend so it's just me and BF.

Joyeanne, congrats on the 14 lb. loss, I'm envious! Sorry about your dad. Funny, I grew up with mine and we were never close - though a lot a like in our tempers and stubborness. I never thought I'd miss him when he died, but there's not a day that goes by - 16 years later - that I don't think of him or am reminded of him in some way. You need to do what's best for you emotionally. Biological isn't everything. I hope whatever it is you decide that you find peace in your decision.

's to my sisters! Paula
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2007, 09:39 PM

Hey there ladies-

Its been a while since I made my first post. I have had family and friends staying/visiting and needless to say I have been preoccupied. I am also exhasuted.

I have learned so much from reading your posts, and feel better knowing that I am not alone. It has been 12 days post op, and I too have gone from feeling "thin" and 'fabulous" to bloated and completely drained in a matter of a day. I thought I might put some of my thoughts into categories and see if anyone else has had similar experiences:

Remeber, I had a LAV ( uterus and cervix only).

Post Op Visit with DR: I met with Dr. 5 days after surgery. I had a infection/irritation at my catheter site. Doc gave be 2 day sample packet of Urelle. It worked and did a good job at turning my urine a shamrock green ~. he said draining was normal and to keep on the meds (Vicodin)

Met again with Doc 9 days post-op to have my one and only stitch removed from my left side lapro site...Found out that he had to remove my 290 gram uterus from this site...explained the tenderness I felt there. Also, my paths from the fibroid and abnormal cells on my cervix were negative...yahoo!. I also told Doc that when I would stop urinating, my bladder would have these painful "twangy-like" contractions. I was tested for a bladder infection and it was negative. The Doc said that my bladder was sitting on top of my vagina which as very tender and that this sensation would eventually go away...it still hurts a little at day 12.

Hot Flashes: For someone who suffered from anemia and was always cold, I have been on FIRE! I still have my ovaries, but I find my self sweating for no reason. It is usually worse in the morning. I am not sure what it is from??? I found it interesting that some of you were experiencing that as well.

BM: I am so Jealous at all of your BMs!!!! I had my first one 4 days after the surgery and then on days 5 and 6, but for some reason I stopped. I take Colase in the AM, and have been eating high fiber food. Maybe I need something stonger...I am so bloated..yuck! I am extremely thirsty and have been drinking lots of water which should help.

Activity: I have been pretty active...going grocery shopping with family and hubby ...no lifting though. The walking seems to be ok. I also planted a small herb garden. Some days I feel as if I never had surgery and then all of a sudden I sleep for 12 hours and find it hard to get out of bed...like today.

Tenderness: My lapro sites are tender but healing well. I have the occassional internal twinge that gets me now and then and swelly belly. The skin on my belly is sore to the touch and that may be from my daily Lovenox (blood thinner) injection.

Blood clots: I have three more Lovenox injections left and have to wear my lovely compression stockings daily. The worse part of the recovery is the daily shot in my belly fat. The shot itself doesn't hurt, its the acid-like medicine that feels like a hot ice pick being stuck in your side...definitely not fun!

Taste: I have definitely noticed that food tastes like metal...weird. But, I have been extremely thirsty...is this normal????

Sleep: I haven't been sleeping well, and I am still uncomfortable sleeping on my stomach without a body pilow, which has been a Godsend.

Drainage: I am still draining pretty much the same amount of "stuff", which looks like a very light reddish fluid as I did after the surgery. ANyne else experiencing this??? I am wondering if I am doing too much.

Thanks Ladies. I hope you are doing well and I look forward to hearing from you.

Rabbit757 9 Fort Worth, TX
Unread 03-31-2007, 10:00 PM

Hi Rabbit, I too am still doing the hot flashes, usually I am an iceberg. The swelling and bloating has increased and decreased so many times I give up. My skin is also very dry, I can't even bother to put on eye make-up, nothing, God I look bad, but oh well. Some days I forget to go easy and some days like today, I seem to sleep it all away. Even if I am up all day I still have trouble sleeping. If I do dreams are about babies and sex, ughhhhhh. Anyway thanks ladies for sharing this monumentous event with me. I hate being alone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2007, 10:35 PM

Hey there-

Thanks for the response Joyeanne. Its funny that you say that when you dream, you dream about sex and babies. I have had a few with babies, but a LOT about sex...epecially in the days following the surgery...I thought maybe it was the vicodin I just figured my hormones are trying to figure whas going on...aso dreamed that I was a man a couple of times...weird.
Unread 04-01-2007, 05:48 AM

I had a LAVH on the 20th and still have the same type of drainage. It seems that I never did have much bleeding. I stopped taking the pain meds the day after I got home from the hospital and had the doc give me some Xanax, boy that helps alot with a good nights sleep.

My bladder was cut and stitched up during surgery, which lasted a whopping 5-1/2 hours, I guess due to the bladder. I should try the med that you took to make sure I don't have any leaking that I shouldn't have.

I also get a metal taste in my mouth on occassion, but have noticed it is after taking my antibiotic. Maybe it is from your meds.

Hope you are feeling better soon.
Unread 04-01-2007, 09:03 AM

I know Jazzy (gonna call you Jazzy ) but still it was an odd dream.
Hubby got snipped 18 yrs ago so there's no chance of that happening even if the old uterus magically appeared *shudders*
I mean for the past 15yrs I told people you couldn't pay me enough to have another kid.
We have 2. That is enough.
I always said if I wanted more I would adopt and give some kid a chance at a family life.
I told hubby about it. He gave me a strange look.
I told him put the dang AC back in the window. (He took it out about a month ago for spring cleaning)

It is most likely the fact it felt like I gave birth that first week. Aches in all the same places, hard to get around, sleeping on tummy, etc...

I SLEPT SEVEN HOURS!!!!!!!!
woooohoooo
It rained a little this morning and I bet that is what did it.
I looooove rainy weather.

Incision has gone from red to bright pink!!!
One spot still a little angry looking but it is getting there!

Bladder not as painful to empty

I am near tears, still moody.

Missed my BM yesterday, hopefully my body is trying to get its normal morning BM back.

Funny story ::
Hubby walks into the dining room and I have a pair of scissors and cutting clothing.
My hubby is a Mr.Fix It so any clothing that looks like it will absorb becomes a grease rag

Him: what are you doing? Making some grease rags?
Me: Nope! I am mutilating my Period Panties
Him: Your what???
Me: My period panties.
Him: Period panties..... that's a new one
Me: All women have a set of panties they use during that time of the month. We've been married nearly 21 yrs. Don't tell me you never noticed the difference in my undies and times when I wear those old worn out baggy ones you nag me to throw away.
He: Oh so that is why you never threw them out when I yelled at you that I work hard enough to where my wife can afford panties without holes!? you could have said something.
Me: 21 yrs, I most likely said something a decade ago and you forgot.

Told my daughter this and she just nods her head wisely and laughs.
He is dragging our daughter out today to find me some boy shorts or even boxers. Elastic, even covered in nice cotton, annoys my incision when it rides up.
Hence mutilating the period panties

I am soooooooo looking forward to not having to keep that set any more

(and if anyone noticed the edited message, I used the D word and changed it to dang. Sorry, didn't know even mild swearing wasn't allowed. )
Unread 04-01-2007, 09:18 AM

Ouch ouch and ouch. Ok, I need input abut you will probably hear too much info, so sorry ahead of time.

I've become regular with my morning bms since about four or five days after the tvh. But it really hurts when I go. Not abdominally like cramping, but like things turn sideways and get stuck before they come out. I don't know if its a nerve issue from the rectal prolapse repair, but this morning it hurt so bad that the inside of my right butt cheek was going numb yet there was such a bad stinging burning pain inside again on the right side of my anus that I felt like my rectum was laying sideways. I ended up laying back down and crying because I ended up so nauseous from it. Things weren't particularly hard (bm) they just are really hurting. I ate a hamburger and fries last night for the first time since surgery. Now I think I'm going to become a vegetarian.

By the way, Mersey, I have period panties as well and can't wait to cut mine up once I get rid of these stupid pads. They are rags and I hate them but thats what they were always there for. My hubby called them my granny panties. Which brings me to another question: are things gonna ever feel right enough down there to want to wear thongs again?
Unread 04-01-2007, 09:21 AM

Mersey, of course we all have our period panties.....the big granny ones that cover everything! And, the ones we don't care if they get stained.....however, no more! !!! In truth I don't wear them if I don't have to. I mean, I'd never pull a "Britney", but to me, underwear are the most uncomfortable pieces of clothing I've ever worn. When women brag about how much they like wearing thongs, I'm like, ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I really don't like the feeling of something stuck in the crack of my tush!!!! I'll wear them because I hate panty lines and don't like the feeling of my pants riding up my chach, but geesh! Comfort? Don't think so.

Today I'm so freakin' tired. It's day 13 for me and I have absolutely no energy. I'm obsessed about keeping off the lousy 5 lbs I've lost as a result of this surgery. Still don't have much of an appetite, but it's gotten better over the past few days. Duct tape anyone???

Hope all the ladies are doing well today. It's a bit of a dreary day here in Jersey. Going to rain later.......

Thinking of all of you and sending out loads of s and good thoughts!

Paula
Unread 04-01-2007, 09:21 AM

Oh yeah, I was also mad because I really wanted to go to church this morning and wasn't able to. I know the pastor really well and he understood (my hubby - smile) but this just stinks.

Becky
Unread 04-01-2007, 09:50 AM

Good evening, Ladies (morning to you?) I've been resting a lot today and finished one of my new books. Tried to keep my feet up and got up to walk once every hour. Took all my meds on time and remembered to eat Biola so my stomach isn't so grumpy from all the antibiotics. It's beautiful here.. blue skies and green trees but I'm bored out of my mind. Will start my second book later tonight.

Mersey: congrats on 7 full hours of sleep! I also have period panties which I hadn't thought about destroying but now that you mention it... I think I will once the bleeding has stopped post op. Your conversation with your DH cracked me up.

Becky: I felt so bad for you when I read your description of your morning BM ...sounds like a nightmare. It is painful for me too but nothing like that. Jeepers, poor you! Okay, I nearly fell out of my chair when I read that about the thongs. When are we gonna feel comfortable enough? I have never been able to tolerate a thong...it feels like something's "diggin' in".

My favorite underwear are the cotton "hotpants" thingees that look like tiny little shorts (until I put them on and distort them miserably). I buy all my undies in black. My grannie-panties are white, though and most of them were at one time maternity underwear... I can pull them up to my chin...

Paula: good morning, sis! I'm on day 13 too...Sorry you're feeling so tired. Take it easy today, put your feet up, rest, sleep, relax, drink Chamomille tea. I have a question for you.. you said "I'd never pull a Britney..." What's a "Britney"?

-Miette

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register