Hysterectomy dates Mar 19-Mar 26,2007 - Page 50 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Mar 19-Mar 26,2007 Hysterectomy dates Mar 19-Mar 26,2007

Unread 04-07-2007, 05:22 PM
Hysterectomy dates Mar 19-Mar 26,2007

Becky, my grandmother always told me that 'the squeaky wheel gets the grease' , so you just may have something there.

I'm your typical Type A personality! Have to get things done immediately and love to do detective work in order to figure something out. I'm just glad we're all continuing to keep in touch. I think we should plan a 'reunion'!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-07-2007, 05:35 PM

dear tc321...everyone's surgery and healing is unique. in my case i had 2 abd. surgeries within 4-1/2 wks., using same incision as first surgery, and then some! this time i had part of my bowel removed and re-attached as my uterus was attached to it and they like to take the uterus out in one "piece" so to speak, knowing there was the possibility of cancer.

after my first surgery which removed ovaries, tubes and mass (all malignant) my recovery was astounding! i didn't take any pain meds whatsoever for the last 2 days in hospital and none when i got home.

the 2nd surgery, completely different story. my TAH was on march 22. i am still taking 2 hydromorphone 2 mg four times a day, then at bedtime 2 hydromorphone 2 mg., plus 2 or 3 hydromorphone contin 3 mg.(oxycontin)at bedtime to get me thru the night . i had also been taking atavin (sleeping med) in the hospital to get me thru the night but my family dr. doesn't want me taking that anymore as one can become dependent upon it in order to sleep in future. at the end of the 4 hrs. during the day, my abdomen is "screaming" with raw pain, but i can tolerate it. it is still a challenge for me to stand and walk straight...i'm stooped a little due to the pain. i must work on that! i am now getting thru the night.

so you see, everyone has a different experience. you know you have pain...no one can tell you different, even well-meaning people. i have heard that you don't get addicted to pain meds if you are taking them for pain only. and you should discontinue them gradually (with your dr.'s advice) as the pain lessens.

so don't try to be a "martyr" by suffering with pain just because someone criticizes you...i'm sure they mean well and are concerned. good luck and keep us posted as to how your pain is going.
Unread 04-07-2007, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC231
does anyone think that it's abnormal that I'm still taking vicodine a few times a day for pain? I also had a colon resection at the same time as the big "H", my dad is trying to make me out to be a junkie or something. any thoughts or similar experiences with needing it longer for pain that others? Any thoughts would be helpful.
By posting your recovery questions here, in this thread, you are limiting yourself to a very few members. If you start a new thread in the Post Op forum you will have responses from members who are much further post op than you are. Please take full advantage of your membership here at Hystersisters and post your recovery questions on a new thread. Please understand you are not being "scolded". This website has so much to offer, but by asking your recovery questions on this thread you not taking benefitting from all this site has to offer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-07-2007, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Angie, it's nice to know my son isn't the only one. He's a really good kid, but sometimes the stuff he says to me just catches me off guard. We've been one on one since he was 4 and we're very close. He does see his dad every other weekend, but would much prefer to be here. BF is also very active in his life. I think it's good that your 15 year old got a taste of what it was like to be 2nd. My son will never know that and seems to want to run things. I love the fact that he's so independent and has far more confidence then I did at his age, but sometimes he's a bit overbearing! When in May? Alex will be 14 on May 19th.

jazzy...its good that your son is seeing his dad often and also that your BF is active in his life as well...my oldest (Josh) grew up to be very independant as well and very mature for his age....and btw, he'll be 15 on May 20th...how close is that to your ds bday gotta love those May babies!

Becky...sounds like you"ll have a houseful of happiness this weekend...how wonderful...Enjoy

Happy to hear that your son is on the mend too!
Unread 04-07-2007, 06:02 PM

I didn't even see the "Club House", just soooo many subforums I went cross eyed.

My feet are finally getting warm.
Crazy weather, crazy hormones, blah
Unread 04-07-2007, 06:03 PM

I found you all too
Glad because sometimes it feels great just to ramble.
I have only 2 friends who have had TAH's plus my 75 year old aunt (30 years ago) so it is nice to share recovery stories and stories that make us laugh.
I was reading the post-op 3-4 week checkpoint which reminds us all to take it easy (no lifting, etc) which could cause damage requiring more surgery. Will have to put up with dirty fridge and stove for a few more weeks - not sure that DH or DD have ever cleaned either one. While DH is quite used to preparing meals (prefers this to any home reno projects) he was at a complete loss as to making gravy for our roast beef dinner last Sunday. Told him that he was quite capable of reading the instructions on the gravy package.
Tomorrow we will be having Easter dinner at my younger sister's house. If I get too tired after the meal we can come home.
Happy Easter again and keep those funny stories coming!!

Mary
Unread 04-07-2007, 06:06 PM

Wow, Ang, how funny! My wedding date was 5/20/90 and Alex was born 1 day shy of my former 3 year anniversary. May babies are very stubborn! They're Leo's, though Josh may be a Gemini....or very close to it. Too funny!

Like Josh, Alex is also very mature in some ways.........he notices everything and comprehends more then most.
Unread 04-07-2007, 06:23 PM

"hysteritaville"...what a hoot! i'm so glad jazzyfromnj found a forum where we could discuss more than the medical aspects of our surgeries. it's "hockey night in canada" tonight so i'm glad i have my own distraction away from the boys! (GO LEAFS GO)!!

bjenkins: i was reading that you were feeling achy and cold today. i had kind of a weird day too...very sleepy after i take the pain meds, then i wake up for a time. napping more than usual. also craving warmth. ironically i have been post menopause for 5 or 6 yrs., never took h.r.t., hot flashes terrible at first, but 6 yrs. later not as bad; however, i would always complain when the heat turned on...even the potlights in my kitchen made me too hot! since the surgery, the hot flashes have gone! we have an electric blanket (for hubby)...but i would never turn my side on. now i like to have it turned on (also puts colour in my face...lol)...everyone thinks i look less pale, but it's the blanket heating me up! (i turn it down to low for sleeping and we have our window wide open, even in this cold weather).

so, to get to my point, i would recommend an electric blanket to anyone who feels the cold and would like a little comfort!

tc231: i replied to your post on one of the other forums where you asked if anyone thought you were taking too many pain meds. i left you a long post. in short, you're okay, as long as your taking them under your doctor's advice.

look forward to hearing everyone's stories, recovery updates, etc. i, too, will browse the other forums. thanks for this!
Unread 04-07-2007, 06:24 PM

jazzy,

thanks for the info, I definitely don't want to lose touch with you guys, you are AWESOME!!! by the way, dinner was good. Was nice to get out for an hour or so!!!
Unread 04-07-2007, 06:31 PM

I think my pain IS getting better, but the emotional pain is awful. I never expected to feel this bad. They told me that I might "have crying jags" at the gyns office. I suffered from depression BEFORE this and I feel that this has made it 100x worse. I am so lost. I stepped down from percocet to vicodyn though, so I'm "getting there"....and since tomorrow is Easter and I have to travel on my own, I'm going to see if I can get by with just Motrin 800. Let you know how that goes!!!For now I'm going to go take some vicodyn and lay down and watch my Scrubs videos. Those have helped so much. That show is hilarious!!! Have a Happy Easter and I will write at some point tomorrow!!! Thanks for the advice. It's helped a lot!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register