Anyone good with medical terminology?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Separate Surgeries

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone good with medical terminology?? Anyone good with medical terminology??

Unread 03-19-2007, 09:28 AM
Anyone good with medical terminology??

Boy am I totally confused and could use a little help if anyone out there is good with medical terminolgy of a MRI reading from last week.

2/14/07 an ultrasound revealed I had a mass off my right ovary - had an mri done last week - my primary called and said there is no mass - however i just rec'd a copy of the mri and this is what it says:

The right ovary although normal in size is abdnormal in signal intensity measuring. There is a central increased T2 signal inensity which does appear to be secondary to a cyst on the ultrasound of 2/14/07. The right ovary is normal in size on present sudy. Finding were reported secomndary to an exophtic mass on sonogram 2/14/07. thre are no additinal diagnostic findings on present study - further evaluation or followup depending on the clinical and ultrasound findings is therefore necessary.

Impression: normal size right ovary although of abnormal signal intensity in correlation with the ultrasound findings of exophic mass reported on 2/14/07.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2007, 11:52 PM
It's all Greek to us, right?

Not being a doctor or nurse (but I am married to a doctor and read a lot), I cannot tell you with 100% certainty. But the signal intensity has to do with the activity of that area in its molecules somehow. So if it is low, it means that it isn't this concentrated area of activity. I think it can be higher when there is ovulation occuring at a particular follicle, too, not just when there is something worrisome. The term exophtic has to do with outward growing from what I can gather. (vs something inside something else, ya know?) It sounds to me like they are saying, "Here is what we see on the MRI; we can't say that we see anything bad, but you ought to do an ultrasound again if you think it's warranted and/or if there are clinical symptoms." (You know, like you have pain or bloating or discomfort or your doctor can palpate an enlarged area on the ovary.) I had an ultrasound done, then an MRI for my ovary last year. MRIs, from what I understand, are not great for differentiating ovarian masses. I got all scared to death after my MRI last year. What's odd is that neither the ultrasound, nor the MRI, nor even the doctor's operative impression was right--it turned out that I had a hemorrhagic luteal cyst. That wasn't what the u/s said, nor the MRI, nor even the gyn! Only pathology found it after the ovary that was removed was examined under a microscope. Go figure! Anyway, I hope that whatever you are dealing with is 100% benign and that you get your mind put to rest by getting whatever done that you need to have done.
Unread 03-22-2007, 05:54 AM
Anyone good with medical terminology??

I really appreciate your response a great deal - but I still can not figure out if they see a mass on the MRI or they don't see one. I am scheduled for surgery on 3/29 but if thereis no mass then I am going to reschedule it to later in april.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register