Any May sisters out there? - Page 18 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any May sisters out there? Any May sisters out there?

Unread 05-01-2007, 09:33 AM
Any May sisters out there?

foxglove fairie
Wishing you all the best, easy surgery and fast recovery. Look forward to hearing from you soon.
Hugs...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-01-2007, 10:47 AM

Hi Ladies and fellow May Princesses,
I'm scheduled for a TAH on May 30th (hopefully keeping ovaries) and there is just so much going on between now and then that I think I"m in a stand-still. The list is too overwhelming. Ever since a tubal and D&C a few years ago I have severe bleeding leading to extreme anemia. That said, I'm pretty fatigued a lot of the time (although chromogen has helped), but other than that I feel pretty well other than right before and during Aunt Flo. So, going from feeling somewhat ok to what is going to be painful and restricting feels frustrating. And of course - like all of you - there is no "good" time to have the surgery and be laid up. There is so much that I'm going to miss with my children just in the first two weeks of recovery. (Dance recital, awards, games, etc.) Doctors said that it couldn't wait and the summer would be even worse, so at least I"ll be mobile by the time school is out.

My Dh is taking some time off and my sister is flying in from England for a couple of weeks to help me out. That could go well or be extremely aggravating, but I have warned her that I cannot be responsible for my disposition and although I hope to be emotionally ok, I might kick her out. (Our mom lives nearby, so at least I have somewhere to send her!)

Anyway, this site and all of you are wonderful. I think of all the hours I spent on babycenter.com during my pregnancies and finding everyone here makes me realize how much my life has come full-circle from a reproductive point.

I wish all of you the best of luck and you're all in my prayers. Thank you for being here!

Carrie
Unread 05-01-2007, 11:01 AM

I am scheduled for my TAH on May 10th. I am excited because I am so ready to be done with all the pain every month... and also getting scared because I am so used to doing things on my own I don't want to hurt myself after surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-01-2007, 11:15 AM

My pre-op is today and I have plenty of questions for her. Guess this is where I work up the nerve to try and convince her to take my ovaries. At 27yrs old, this won't be a small task. She doesn't want to put me into menopause at 27. BUT, I'm having this because of severe endo. I've also battled ovarian cysts since I started menstration. To think that I'm going through all of this and then to later have pain and possibly another surgery because she didn't want to force me into menopause... forget it. This should be my decision... right?

Another thing she mentioned is she changed her mind about doing a AH and wants to do a VH. I don't understand how she can go vaginally when (1) I have endo and (2) I had a c-section and a couple laporoscopies and no doubt have some scar tissue. Anyone else have a VH with these 'conditions'?

Only 6hrs until my pre-op. I'm going in there looking like I'm 40 because I can't sleep or eat... what a mess I am
Unread 05-01-2007, 11:20 AM

LsbGoddess,

Being somewhat of a veteran of surgery (3 c-sections, tubal, lumpectomy, hernia repair - to literally name only a few), and being a complete and utter control freak, I have to strongly suggest setting up a plan for assistance, particularly with this type of surgery. You want to recover and move on, not risk any further damage. (See how I've convinced myself of this? Unfortunately I learned a bit from experience, but I still can't stand depending on others, particulary for basic things.) For me, I had to come to terms that I could do virtually anything for a precise number of weeks, including letting other people make my childrens' lunches, drive them to lacrosse and soccer practice and vacuum my house. I keep telling myself that it is all a means to an end....to feeling better once recovered. But I agree - it won't be easy. Just look to the pain relief of the future!
Unread 05-01-2007, 12:24 PM

UGH...I am so looking forward to this and so NOT looking forward to this...can't wait til its over...
Unread 05-01-2007, 12:28 PM

diiiigaffs - just 2 more days - then you'll be able to say I'm looking forward to doing all this that I couldn't before because of the pain. I know easy for me to say since I'm a little over 2 weeks out but it'll come & go fast. Just remember to take care of yourself and heal slowly!! And let me know about everything!!!!! I'll be impatiently waiting!!!!
Unread 05-01-2007, 12:47 PM

Thanks Clairebear...The thing with me is the only thing that I have had has been I have been a bit tired more than usual...I haven't had pain so I will see and I hope I get more energy when this is over...and I do believe maybe I have pressure that I have just gotten used to...so that will be interesting to see if this bloated full feeling goes away. Everyone says I am lucky to not have all the pain etc, and I suppose I am. Good thing I go in for my check ups every year, or maybe it would have gotten to the miserable point for me. I will definately let everyone know when I am back. I wish the hospital had wireless...I could bring my laptop and chat from there...if I was up to it...
Thank again...
Hugs
Unread 05-01-2007, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy79
My pre-op is today and I have plenty of questions for her. Guess this is where I work up the nerve to try and convince her to take my ovaries. At 27yrs old, this won't be a small task. She doesn't want to put me into menopause at 27. BUT, I'm having this because of severe endo. I've also battled ovarian cysts since I started menstration. To think that I'm going through all of this and then to later have pain and possibly another surgery because she didn't want to force me into menopause... forget it. This should be my decision... right?

Another thing she mentioned is she changed her mind about doing a AH and wants to do a VH. I don't understand how she can go vaginally when (1) I have endo and (2) I had a c-section and a couple laporoscopies and no doubt have some scar tissue. Anyone else have a VH with these 'conditions'?

Only 6hrs until my pre-op. I'm going in there looking like I'm 40 because I can't sleep or eat... what a mess I am
Joy79___Please have her reconsider the VAH! It is a quicker recovery, but I personally have never heard of this being done. MY surgeon flat out refused to do this on ME and my surgical history is very much the same as yours. Just double check that this is the right decision for YOU. ...onviolist
Unread 05-01-2007, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneviolist
Joy79___Please have her reconsider the VAH! It is a quicker recovery, but I personally have never heard of this being done. MY surgeon flat out refused to do this on ME and my surgical history is very much the same as yours. Just double check that this is the right decision for YOU. ...onviolist
Joy79__and another thing......here is a quote from a source on this website about vag vs. abd.

Total Vaginal Hysterectomy

This procedure is the same as for the TAH, except it is performed vaginally.

Acronym: TVH

Description of procedure: The doctor removes the uterus and cervix through a cut in the vagina. As with the TAH the top of the vagina is repaired by being sewn to form the vaginal cuff.

Indications/contra-indications: This is usually the surgery of choice if you have prolapse, if there is no possibility of cancer, if your uterus is not too enlarged and if you've delivered vaginally. This type of surgery is not recommended when the surgeon needs to have space to look around, if there is danger of cancer cells or of endometriosis spreading, if your uterus is enlarged beyond a certain size and sometimes if you haven't delivered vaginally. This surgery can entail additional bleeding. Because you don't have an abdominal incision, it is easy to forget you've just had major surgery and you run the risk of thinking that you are further ahead in your recovery than you really are.

Initial Recovery: Expect 6 to 8 weeks of recovery, with lifting and straining restrictions for this whole period. It is also normal to have restrictions on intercourse for the whole of the initial recovery period.

Variations on a theme: It is possible that your doctor will opt to perform a Lapararoscoply Assisted Vaginal Hysterectomy (LAVH). If that is the case, the cervix is still removed.

Hope this helps JOY79! ....oneviolist

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register