Any May sisters out there? - Page 19 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any May sisters out there? Any May sisters out there?

Unread 05-01-2007, 12:37 PM
Any May sisters out there?

oneviolist,
Thank you. I believe I read that info on webmd when she first mentioned doing it vaginally... it is what raised my concern. She did an exam on me when I was in there last and she said she could "touch the top of the uterus" and that's why she felt safe in saying she'd TRY the VH. I feel INSANE questioning my doctors judgement, and even more insane for actually saying I prefer a TAH. But I do want a TAH vs TVH because (1) I want to know what exactly is going to happen before they put me under rather than waking up and finding out they had to switch and (2) I want the piece of mind knowing all of the endo will be captured/burned/whatever they do with it because w/ an abdominal they have more of a view.

I *have* to say something in preop today, but I am so not a good personal advocate. But if I don't say something now, I'm really going to regret it.

So I am working up the nerve to stand up for what I really want... a AH, and I want her to take the ovaries.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-01-2007, 12:45 PM

joy79 - yes - you must let your Dr. know your wishes - you don't want any regrets later or wonder what else is in there. My dr. is doing exploritory first to look at everything then if it is just my uterus she'll do a VH but if there is more she'll go in thru my abdomen - that gave me peace of mind knowing that she is looking at everything so after I won't feel something and then think "what if". You don't want to have more surgeries than necessary also. Just my opinion but it is your body so you need to speak up before.
Unread 05-01-2007, 12:59 PM

Joy79, that is what I am doing........TAH and take EVERYTHING. I have endometriosis as well and that alone is reason not to do vaginal since the lesions may be disturbed and cause spreading during the procedure. You have to go with your GUT. Do you have children? oneviolist
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-01-2007, 01:23 PM

I agree Joy78...Don't be afraid to ask questions or tell your dr your fears or concerns. I am sure she would want you to tell her these things since she is a professional. She won't be offended, and if she is...then I would get a different doctor all together. Don't rush it if you don't have to, you can get other opinions, unless it is an emergency situation. I talked to my Gp about this as well and he said that doctors are not offended if you want to get another opinion. And maybe you don't want another opinion...but if you have questions you really need to ask so you can be calm and confident going in. I was freaked out as I didn't want the radical abdominal surgery and I was questioning my choice in doctors, but after getting all of the info I could about my situation, and chatting with others here who have similar situaltion, I am now confident this is the best way for me. Please don't be afraid to ask her...if you get nervous, as I do, write everything down before you go so you don't freeze up and forget...good luck...

Hugs...
Unread 05-01-2007, 01:51 PM

joy: I agree, I would lay out all your concerns with your doc. I will say that my GYN is doing a Laparoscopically Assisted Vaginal hysterectomy. He knows there will be scar tissue and he is suspecting endo. Does your GYN do that? He said the laparoscope will help him see how things are before he cuts, with still less healing than an AH. A friend of mine just had the LAVH and did very well despite endo and severe adhesions. Good luck!
Unread 05-01-2007, 01:56 PM

kcfan,diiiigafs, and any other May 1 sisters, GOOD LUCK! You'll get us all started off to the road of better health! Prayers are going with you!
Unread 05-01-2007, 02:02 PM

oneviolist:
I have one child... a happy, perfectly healthy 5yr old boy. I wanted more, but my endo has gotten so bad I probably wouldn't be able to conceive. He's my miracle baby. Besides, the "I might be able to get pregnant someday" just isn't worth the pain.

diiiigafs:
I don't think she'd be offended, I'm just usually so passive. Standing up for myself is new territory. Guess it's part of the new, hopefully painfree me.

diverchick:
I hadn't discussed that option with her, but I will today, especially if she pushes for the VH.

2.5hrs until pre-op and hopefully I'll walk out of there feeling better than I do walking in...
Unread 05-01-2007, 02:07 PM

joy79,
That is good then...I hope that you do well when you talk to her. I am the same way that is why I suggested writing everything down. I get so nervous...I forget everything I wanted to ask lol Good luck...let us know how you do...
Unread 05-02-2007, 03:41 AM

To our early May ladies............I am so proud of you. You have and will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. Today is my pre-op and I hope I feel better after it then I did after another rounds of talks with my dr. While I was expecting to be down for the count, I heard the schedule for recovery with heavy heart - two weeks without stairs, no driving for 4-6 weeks. I stopped asking questions about recovery bc I realized I didn't want to hear any more NOs. Maybe as I go back for check-ups I'll slowly get released for more activites. I am a bit of a control freak and am having a great deal of difficulty convincing myself to do nothing. Top it all off with no pain, no problems except for the severe dysplasia that doesn't hurt or show any symptoms. It does just keep getting worse no matter what procedure the dr tries. It has been over 8 months and I hated the restrictions after each procedure along with the pain. Now I get to know what pain and being useless are really about. I have to leave my second-grade students with just 5 weeks of school left. I haven't had the courage to tell them I'll be leaving this Friday. Thanks to all of you for being there and sharing. My friends are great but haven't gone through this. Oh....the good news - I can polish my toes and I don't have to prep for surgery except for not eating/drinking after midnight (bless the dr).
Unread 05-02-2007, 08:15 AM

Daisylin, we're in the same boat. My pain hasn't been nearly as bad as some of the other ladies here, so I can't look forward to the end of chronic pain, just a lot of post-op pain. But I'm not complaining, after hearing about others' long ordeals before surgery!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register