Any May sisters out there? - Page 32 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any May sisters out there? Any May sisters out there?

Unread 05-14-2007, 08:37 AM
Any May sisters out there?

JHDJ,

Breath deep 3 or 4 times everytime you get that anxious so you can calm you body. It is natural to be frightened. I don't go in until the 23rd and I have been having anxious moment for a while now. The breathing helps me get things into perspective. I just know that my doctor is going to take good care of me.

One thing that made me feel al lot better was talking to the pre admission people at the hospital. I had to call them to give them some info for my records so while I had them on the phone I told them I am getting really frightened and that I am really anxious. They were so cool. The nurse told me they can give me something for my nerves that morning and they will do whatever I need to be comfortable and relaxed when I get there. I also told my doctor when I went for my pre op visit last week.

Why don't you call your doctor or perhaps the pre admission people hospital and tell them how anxious you are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-14-2007, 08:41 AM

plkurki
Good luck and best wishes to you as well on your journey to the Castle tomorrow....hang in there...USUSALLY the anticipation is worst than when you are in the moment
Unread 05-14-2007, 09:03 AM

plkurki and all-
I can relate to the nerves. I go in today at 12:30 and I am sick to my stomach this morning. I know this is the right thing and I am looking forward to having it done and over with, but I feel very nervous.
I am also getting hungry! I would really like to snack to calm my nerves, but I will just keep listening to my tummy growl.
Good luck tomorrow and for all of you in the next days!
I will post when I get home...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-14-2007, 09:30 AM

jhdj and plkurki - I'm now 5 days post-op from my LAVH, and just wanted to let you know my thoughts are with both of you. Yes, the pre-op anxiety is normal. I went through that too, and even had a mini panic attack when I was in the pre-op room right before surgery. However, I made it though the surgery, and both of you will too. Now that I've been through this, I can honestly say that if I knew then what I know know, I would not have been so nervous before. Just remember to think good thoughts, and remember that it will be over before you know it, and you will be home again and on your way to recovery. Hugs to both of you, and to all the sisters awaiting surgery! I'm thinking of all of you!

Candy
Unread 05-14-2007, 11:08 AM
thank you all

just wanted to say thank you to everybody. it helps knowing that i'm not alone in how i feel. 2 days will fly by. and there are some really nice people here at work that have told me they plan on visiting me at the castle! so i geuss i just have to suck it up and breathe deep because life will go on and it will be soooo much more better! thanks to all of you! i will keep you all in my prayers as well! good luck to everybody!
Unread 05-14-2007, 12:35 PM

jhdj: I too am like you...already I start thinking and can't shut it off to get to sleep..and I'm 9 days out! We'll do fine. Let me know anything you did/do to help you relax and what works!

ann: I bought my grannie undies and jammie bottoms, but it was more depressing than helpful...to see that large a size. I have them hidden, don't want anyone to see them unless they want to

anybody out there have the robotic hysterectomy? I saw today on my preadmit papers that he's doing my surgery with the robot. I don't have preop with him till next MOnday....so am wondering how it will go.

Good luck everyone, and ann and sandysk8tr, we're coming down to the home stretch here.
Unread 05-14-2007, 12:55 PM

I've sort of passed through the total freakout stage, and now just want to get this over with! Doing the bowel prep this afternoon, although I've been so nervous that everything has been going straight through me for days - I don't really think I need any help in that department!

Got the pre-op blood work and EKG done this morning, and am just getting my things together for the castle visit, as well as making lasagna for my boys to have while I am there. Am I the only one thinking that if if was my DH having surgery, there is no way he would worry about what we would eat while he was in the hospital?
Unread 05-14-2007, 01:19 PM

Diverchick, 9 days!! I am ready. I also bought my huganciuos undies Saturday (Well, only one size larger). I also bought some large size cropped summer pants with no zipper that slide on and some 1X size Tshirts to lounge around in.

I am not sad Diverchik. I look at those larger size cloths as total comfort during recovery. I get bummed sometimes because I have gained quite a bit of weight over the last several months from laying down so much and not being active. When I feel sad I remind myself that this whole thing as "just for now". At the end of next week we will both be pulling up out of our surgery and feeling a heck of a lot better than now.

I am sitting here with the worst ache in my abdomen. Everytime I get nervous about things I just think about how good it is going to feel later on with no more ache.

PS: heres my next ingenious idea ;} - I was thinking if I tape a shoehorn on the end of a yard stick I won't have to wait for someone to help me slide my sneakers on when I want to go for a walk. Tonight I am going to lace my sneakers with some 1/8" elastic sewing tape so I don't have to tie my shoes either.
Unread 05-14-2007, 01:44 PM

Ann43... great idea for the shoes. 2 weeks recovery and I still cant do socks or shoes. (i managed the socks for the first time today) Its nice to be self sufficient.
Unread 05-14-2007, 02:07 PM

Sassyjane, it is good to hear you are on the other side!! congrats. I had a myomectomy about 10 years ago and I remember I had to sit and wait for people to help me and I hated it. I sued to throw my sick on the floor in front of me and wiggle my feet into them but I couldn't bend over enough to get the shows on.

I also plan on taping a piece of string to my remote control so that when it falls to the floor I can real it back in. The string thing also helps with the toothbrush in the bathroom too. I vividly remember the sadness that came over me as I watched my tooth brush plop into the toilet.

It amazing what those pain killers can do to you dexterity HAHA

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register