Any May sisters out there? - Page 34 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any May sisters out there? Any May sisters out there?

Unread 05-15-2007, 04:43 AM
Any May sisters out there?

Hey all May sisters. I had my pre op yesterday.. I got all the details of whats going to happen in the OR. WOW, am I ever nervous now. Working in the medical field...I need to know. Surgery is next week, I think I'm ready. Surgery is in the afternoon, and I have to do a bowel prep. With my husband being home, getting kids ready for school and all wednesday AM is not sounding like a good time. Any advice?

Pixiepoo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-15-2007, 06:09 AM
I worried myself sick for nothing

Hi everyone!

I am just shy of one week post-op and have to say that I worried myself sick for nothing. I had a great experience and successful surgery. I owe it all to my doctor.

I was so nervous prior to surgery. Waiting was the worst. My surgery was at noon and I had to be at the castle at 10:00 am. I was shaking so bad. Then at about noon, the magical drug lady came in a medicated me. I remember the feeling of fear leaving me and the feeling of awe entering my body. Now I know why they say those drugs are better than anything you could buy off the streets. I don't remember anything after that.

I woke up with cramps, very bad cramps, but no pain. Got sick a little from the drugs, but immediately wanted to eat! I had to have jello for two days, yuck! I begged for food. I understand now, however, why they didn't want me to eat immediately. Going to the restroom is my only struggle.

I have only great things to say about what I feared to a bad thing.

I know a lot of you out there have all the same fears that I had, and I would just like to reassure you that everything will be okay.

Bonnie
Unread 05-15-2007, 07:06 AM

Clarebear,
I hear you about it being hard. It just refuse to let my mind make up ideas about bad things because it'll get the best of me. I know that everything is fine and will be fine.

I just spoke with a co-worker that used to work on the drugs that they use to calm people going in. She says it is a form of conscious sedation before you go into the Op room. They use it for colonscopies. They need you to be able to move around and respond to them but you are sedated to a level that you don't remember anything. She says it is beautiful. You will not be afraid and you will not remember a thing about all those things you imagined. Then when you wake up they treat your pain immediately so it should all be fine.

Now, lets remember this because someone may need to be telling me this in a couple of days....we'll see what state I am in by Monday of next week when I am a couple of days out.

My heart is with you all the way!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-15-2007, 07:42 AM

jhfj, Crocs rock!
Unread 05-15-2007, 02:33 PM

Thanks ann for the encouraging words....I'm still looking for pants to be comfy in! did a pedicure yesterday and now I have these cute pink toes! Moved my preop up with my GYN. He likes to do them very close to the date of your surgery, but when I found out he was doing robotic, I freaked. His staff compromised and I see him Friday! I did get a publication from the hospital that they send out quarterly and they had an article on the robotic hysterectomy! WOW! While it looks scary, lots of plastic covered instruments....it sounds good. Good luck to all of you scheduled this week, and ann....8 more days! I'm actually anxious to get through and experience no more pain, no more leaking!
Unread 05-15-2007, 02:41 PM

Yes Diverchick - 8 more days!!! Tonight my treat is to be blessed with my last night of Finance class! What a horror this semester was. I am so glad that all I have to do is get one more case study done with my team by Monday and I am done with finance forever. I can recover without that worry on my shoulders. That alone is worth being happy.

You have to let us know what hey are doing with robotic surgery. It sounds like laposcoptic, is it?
Unread 05-15-2007, 02:43 PM

Also Diverchick, I got my big crop pants at Walmart and they were not exoensive so I can toss them after my "just for now" time is over and I am back to the right size and weight.
Unread 05-16-2007, 11:58 AM
Hi Pixiepoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiepoo
Hey all May sisters. I had my pre op yesterday.. I got all the details of whats going to happen in the OR. WOW, am I ever nervous now. Working in the medical field...I need to know. Surgery is next week, I think I'm ready. Surgery is in the afternoon, and I have to do a bowel prep. With my husband being home, getting kids ready for school and all wednesday AM is not sounding like a good time. Any advice?

Pixiepoo
Hello from a fellow Michigander. Goooo Wings!!!
I did my bowel prep in the afternoon (2pm) and again at 8pm. I have two small children (ages 6 and 2) and I found it wasn't too bad. I probably made 3-4 trips to the bathroom and it was over. My surgery was the next day at noon.
Unread 05-17-2007, 07:01 AM

Thanks for the tip Ann! I'll have to hit Wally world! I've got my preop tomorrow and hope to get a lot more info. A friend of mine had the robotic and she said the recovery is easier but to take it easy as she tore internally from doing too much too soon!

OK, does everyone get the preop drugs? I'm gonna have to ask that one...and what do they give you?

I have to start gathering stuff together, I have things here and there....but not in one spot and surely not packed!

I figure I'll finish up loose paperwork this week, clean Saturday. Sunday is shopping with the girls and a recital, and Monday I'll pack. Tuesday is bowel prep day!
Ann, we're 6 days out!
Unread 05-17-2007, 07:16 AM

Diverchick, 6 days to the start of our new lives! I am happy to say I have been really hurting this past few weeks. Not that being in pain is good, but, it keeps my eye on why this is so important for me to do. I truly believe waking up with out this terrible internal pain and pressure is going to be worth all of it.

Day 6 treat - Dinner and spa night at my girlfriend's house to chat and soak in the hot tub.
Day 5 treat - girls night out for at the local mexican joint for margaritas to celebrate my castle visit and impending new health.
Day 4 treat - tag sale to rid my life of even more junk, especailly since I won't be picking things up for a while after this.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register