stupid things people say... - Page 13 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

stupid things people say... stupid things people say...

Unread 05-26-2007, 09:01 AM
stupid things people say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 legsN'Scales
Oh My Ladies some of those comments had me shaking my head in disbelief It gets me quite grrrrrrr when people are just so insensitive .... My M-I-L (love the monster in law title please can I borrow it) doesn't pass any comment as to her I'm a non-entity, she too is all self, self ,self . Thankfully we live miles away from her so we don't see too much of her .... It does however remind me when I had my ventro suspension & steralization she couldn't understand why I needed to go to bed after the surgery for a few hours and 'who was going to cook dinner'
This time a couple of comments have made me chuckle My friend when I told her of my op date said ' oh that was bad planning my holiday is 2 weeks after that ...... who is gonna dye my hair' ..... she also called me a ***** when I first told her of my intended op as she too has 'menstral problems' and she is in the menopause (1 period every 3 months sounds like heaven to me)
However on a lighter note..... I heard my son explain to his friend (he's 12) that I was going in the hospital for a Hysterical Rectum Operation ....
Onwards & Upwards Ladies at least we have each other
You know hysterectomy and hysteria are related terms, right? In fact, they used to prescribe the one as a cure for the other.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-26-2007, 09:05 AM

Legs--dh suggested you tell your friend "Well, forgive me if my life-saving major surgical event is getting in the way of your hair appointment."

He also says that if the monster-in-law does a repeat of the
"who'll get dinner" line, tell her to order out.
Unread 05-26-2007, 09:54 AM

I've got one. We initially saw a gyn for our infertility. He found a cyst on my ovary and did the surgery--turned out to be borderline ovarian cancer and both ovaries and uterus had to come out. No biological kids for us. A little necessary backstory to set this up.

While I was in the hospital, my in laws (who live 5 minutes from us and about an hour from the hospital) never called, never came by. They did talk to DH about my surgery. They both said something to the effect of "look on the bright side, you can travel now, you can do all sorts of things," as though having children was this burden. It hurt soooo much, it was such an insensitive thing to say--they knew why we'd gone to the doctor in the first place!!

They've never called me, never come by (they said they would but had to back out). We've had to call them, go over and visit them. I've always known they have issues but this just proves it. I just keep thinking "I have cancer, for goodness sake (not the scary kind, but still, I have to be watched), doesn't that mean anything!!!!!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-26-2007, 04:29 PM

The stories everyone has shared are just truly amazing! I am just shaking my head in wonder at HOW people can be so, well, idiotic! But it takes all kinds.

Fortunately my family and friends have been very supportive. The worst case of idiocy I encountered was actually when I was in the hospital. Just a couple hours after my surgery!

My roommate was a woman who had a LAVH the day before. Apparently when I got to the room at about 10 am, she was getting pretty antsy to want to go home. But her doctor was not available to release her. She was also uncomfortable because she had not had a BM in about 5 days and was ranting to the nurses about it. Loudly. She was demanding something strong to "clean her out" but of course the nurses couldn't do anything without the doctor. I was personally wishing they'd just give her an enema.

This roommate complained, yelled at nurses, yelled at her visiting sister who stormed out, etc. etc. I was in and out of a daze and finally realized this was unreal! The clincher was when I was finished upchucking my lunch jello, and she asked me to turn the TV channel to Dr. Phil as she just couldn't miss his show. She said she couldn't find her remote and didn't feel like getting up and looking for it and could I do it? This was in between yells at nursing.

It was amazing! I was in such a daze I changed channels for her then finally fell asleep. Later she apologized, just before 5:00 pm when her husband came in to take her home. She said there was no excuse for her behavior and I just said, well I hope you feel better soon!
Unread 05-26-2007, 04:51 PM

Eliza ... me, too! Had a CAT scan a few days ago. The forms asked for recent surgeries, etc. I listed "hysterectomy" as the reason for the scan, hoping to pinpoint pain I've been having. Then I had to sign a form indicating I wasn't pregnant. Duuuh!

"Did I take your ovaries?" asks my doc, standing there with my chart in his hand. I felt like saying "Well I sure as hell didn't hand 'em to ya!" or "Uhh, wait, lemme check ..." <looking inside pants>
Unread 05-26-2007, 04:54 PM

Oh my Ally that sounds just like the 'roomie' I tend to get.... the last Lap I had the lady (I use this term very loosely ) as she was explaining to me all about her wonderful husband ...... and 3 other 'spare partners' (non knew of the others) she was after something to 'calm down her periods as it was ruining her active sex life.
I'm not a prude but I was really glad that I wasn't there for visiting time it could have got very embaressing.
Unread 05-27-2007, 10:25 AM

8 Legs, oh my now that's really something! That one must have been quite a roomie to have, for sure!
Unread 05-27-2007, 08:49 PM
Stupid stuff

Hi, all Princessess! One thing that I ran into frequently and am still running into are comments like "my friend had a hysterectomy 15 years ago and she recovered in 3 days". I am uppalled at the insensivity that these females who have made such remarks can have. I don't think it fair for anyone to compare one person's experience to mine, and think that my experience should be the same as that persons so and so. I wish they could be more understanding and realize that we are all very different, have had different medical historys and different reasons for our hysterectomies and I am saddened that some women can be so unsupportive and callous with their words. I am glad therefore, thank God that we have this site to support and pray for each other and help each other through this. Thank you for allowing me to vent! Poohtie.
Unread 05-27-2007, 09:46 PM

My boss wanted me to come in at the 2 week mark and do month end accounting because non of the other girls new how to do it....I told her no.....but no one did it so I had them send it home and had to log in from home and do it....

Then one of my co-workers asked me how my vacation was on my first day back to work! I don't consider her my friend any longer.

I seriously considered not going back to work ever from my sick leave. I was off 6.5 weeks.

My MIL never talked to me about surgery once before surgery....They came and visited me while I was groggy in the hospital, and never once asked how I was doing or offered any help while I was on leave.....Thank goodness my DH does not take after his mother and would not hear of me lifting a finger for the full 6 weeks and still will carry the laundry and groceries for me and help with anything I want help with.

You really do find out who your true friends are in your time of need...I sure did. The one I considered my BEST friend never called once!
Unread 05-28-2007, 07:06 PM

Had to go to dr a few months ago. I listed all my surgeries and then N/A for what type of birth control I use. Dr asked about my hyst and got to bc and asked, "Why don't you use bc?" "Um, I had a hysterectomy." "Oh yeah." DUH!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register