stupid things people say... - Page 14 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

stupid things people say... stupid things people say...

Unread 05-29-2007, 08:01 AM
stupid things people say...

This is all just amazing... sad, but amazing. First off, yes....please feel free to use the step monster title. I was sure there were more out there and you ladies have confirmed that. People can be so dumb and insensitive and just plain selfish. I recently had another insensitive comment. Last Thursday I was having a rather bad cramping and painful day. I wanted to take a Demorol, but it makes me somewhat loopy and I don't like to drive after I take it. Since I had to pick up my 12 year old son from hockey practice, I knew I had to wait to take it. I was told practice was over at 7, so I arrive exactly at 7 to get him, only to find out that they started a few minutes late, so practice would go on for a about 10-15 minutes. So, I go and lean against the concession stand.... I know I looked bad with no make up and my eyeglasses on instead of my contact lenses that I normally wear but at that point, all I could think of was going home to my heating pad and a dose of demorol. When practice ended, all of my "friends" I usually hang out with start walking over to get their sons, which was where I was standing. A group came over and one informs me that I "really look like ****". Great. Thanks for the confidence booster. And when I am in pain, I'm not very social and have trouble speaking coherently.... so the next day when I went to work, I got an email from another mother berating me for taking narcotics before I come to pick up my son the night before. She had assumed that the reason I wasn't able to carry on conversations with them was because I had taken a pain pill before driving to pick my son up. No, lady.... I was just in too much pain to stand there smiling and talking for an hour with you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-29-2007, 08:05 AM

Jackie that is horrific!!

It is not any of that woman's business if you HAD taken something for the pain! So sorry. I have found i am not telling very many people -- just cant deal with the banal comments, esp, It's All For The Best! grrr! And how dare that woman email you! Too bad there is no HR dept for Life...
Unread 05-29-2007, 08:37 AM

Exactly! My son had a hockey game on Saturday and I went up to the group of ladies... asked the one mother if I looked more presentable for her, then turned to the other one and told her I had not needed any pain medication for 3 days so was I speaking more coherently?? Even with their uncomfortable glances, I felt better for sticking up for myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-29-2007, 08:41 AM

And havent they ever heard of karma? Maybe there is an HR dept for Life -- God has a way of MAKING people understand.
Unread 05-29-2007, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalawoman
Hi! Wondering if anyone else is collecting stupid things people say!

I had a co-worker who is out on materntiy leave for having a c-section tell me how much easier the hysterectomy would be than her operation because i wouldnt have to lug around a baby or get up to feed them (yes, thanks, i always wanted children.)

My sister who also has fibroids -- but NO PAIN! -- said, she would never get a hysterectomy because she just loves those deep uterine contractions during orgasm. (yes, thanks, me too.) Also added i should just count myself lucky i dont have cancer. (I do, but still expected just a bit of sympathy...) anyone have their two cents?
I just wanted to add to this I had Two (2) C-sections and let me tell you the recoop time for a hyst. was sooooooo much more painful and longer and that is from experience.
And my first C-sections was with twins so I was a single mom doing all of this night time feeding and changing with a slash in my gut with two kids all alone, no mom, husband or friends and the hyst was three times as bad with a husband and help on recoop. time so I'll go ahead and tell ya all of these things are different for everyone but her saying that was actually RUDE!
Unread 05-29-2007, 02:48 PM

'Nother one?
Someone at work asked me, "Why didn't you just have your tubes tied instead?"
Unread 05-29-2007, 03:14 PM

The worst comments I got were from... we'll just call them well-meaning... yeah, that's it well-meaning women who were thickheaded enough to actually tell me that a hysterectomy was probably unnecessary and that I could most likely have been cured with homeopathic medicine. I'm not knocking homeopathic treatments at all but running off at the mouth about a cure when you don't even know why someone had this major life altering surgery is, well, ignorant callous and makes you look like a moron.

Oh and, of course, the well I had 2 c-sections so recovery should just be a breeze after those. <insert monstrously huge full body eye rolls here>

Morons... thanks it felt better to get that off my chest.

Always keep in mind that if the person speaking out their buttocks hasn't actually been there and done that then are speaking from a place of ignorance and usually mean no harm. Keeping your sense of humor usually deflates those windbags anyway.
Unread 05-29-2007, 03:15 PM

Speckla -- that's terrible! You should have suggested they get THEIRS tied -- so as to not populate the world with the feebleminded and ill mannered! Hope you are fully recovered now!
Unread 05-29-2007, 03:32 PM

I have never had a family member or co-worker say anything insensitive or cruel to me regarding my hysterectomy. I'm sorry that you have run into people who have made unkind remarks.
Unread 05-29-2007, 04:04 PM
Stupid things

My favorite are the people who said I would recover faster if I just "push myself." Push myself where? Do they get that it was a big accomplishment at first just to go to the bathroom without help?
Sheesh.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register