stupid things people say... - Page 27 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

stupid things people say... stupid things people say...

Unread 11-19-2007, 12:00 AM
stupid things people say...

I am laughing so hard right now I have tears running down my face. I often wonder how some people make it through the day.

Comment #1-Made by co-worker

"You do know if you don't keep your ovaries you can't have kids." She has three kids~scary!

Comment #2-Made by my dear husband

"Babe, please don't be upset or embarrassed but I told some people that you would be off for 4-6wks and they just guessed it was a hyst. I didn't mean to share your female business." I told him it was OK.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-19-2007, 07:37 AM

Comment #2 above -- so cute!
Unread 11-19-2007, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by japennington
Comment #2-Made by my dear husband

"Babe, please don't be upset or embarrassed but I told some people that you would be off for 4-6wks and they just guessed it was a hyst. I didn't mean to share your female business." I told him it was OK.
Ok, this has actually happened to me. I let a co-worker know I would be gone and from the time frame she guessed why. Maybe she is a sister herself?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-19-2007, 01:03 PM

Heres the best ones I was told before and after my hyst.
1.Will you have to have this done again?What if it grows back?
2.How will you pee?(This was asked by a male co-worker of mine who is a army MEDIC! yes I am scared.
3.about 5days after my hyst my boss called and asked if I could come into work and hand out flu shots.He saw no reason that I couldnt since his grandmother had the same thing done and was back to normal in 4 days.
4 this is not really funny but just bad timming.my best friend was supposed to come over the day after I got home from hospital to help take care of me.When she got to the house she collapsed on my back steps.I asked her what was wrong and she said she couldnt move.I told her I was calling 911 and she said"Why?Can't you just pick me up and take care of me?You bet I will just pick all 300 pounds of you up and take care of everything!yes the EMT's came and she found out she is diabetic.
So my ? is how do some of these people survive the everyday thing we call life?
Unread 11-19-2007, 02:08 PM
I needed the laughs!!!

I'm starting to get really nervous although I think I'm as prepared as I can get at this point - 4 days to the castle! I needed these funnies - it's great to part of this wonderful group.

Good luck to all the Ladies in Waiting!
Unread 11-19-2007, 03:17 PM

I'm cracking up at these! Here are some of mine...

#1: Maybe your stomach will be smaller afterwards. Do you think you could talk your doc into doing a quick tummy tuck? (The funny part of this is that I am only 118 pounds!!!)

#2: From my mom...I have that event you are supposed to be helping me with so you better not go into surgery until after November 3.

#3: No more periods? WOOHOO!!!!

#4: From my 8 year old daughter...Are these body parts next to any of the ones I know?

#5: From dh...You're gonna OWE me!!!! (Just a joke, btw!)

#6: From my mom...I was bowling 2 days after my hysterectomy.

#7: Just don't go in over Thanksgiving. You'll get all the second string nurses!

#8: From my mom..."Endometriosis? Isn't that what your dad has?" (They're divorced.)

#9: From my friend...Your dh didn't have to have that vasectomy after all!

#10: From my massage therapist yesterday...Don't have surgery yet! Let me take you to Tiajuana to my healer today (I live in California). Then you won't have to have it done.

#11: From a family member...You always do stuff like this around Christmas time! You've had 2 miscarriages, 2 babies, and a surgery all around the same time of year. You even got married right after Christmas. You know that makes it tough on the rest of us.

#12: From my stepmom...I had that done. The surgeon nicked an artery and I was in the hospital forever.

I just realized that I've had A LOT of silly comments!!!

Stephanie
Unread 11-19-2007, 03:31 PM

Oh Stephanie -- way too funny!

Just goes to show that some folks don't know much about anatomy. Some studies have shown that we don't know much about geography.

Oh just another observation, in trying to show my DD about the surgery, I got out a book that I thought had some good photos. It's a large sized book with various body parts. The sad part of this book is that it only showed the female reproductive parts on a pregnant woman.
Unread 11-19-2007, 06:34 PM

Today from MIl (sometimes she can drive ya batty).She had a hyster bout 15-20 years ago (not exactly sure when) but kept her ovaries.
She has a family get together on the 23rd and while I understand her 3 sons are all over the place.She is sure I will feel better after a couple of weeks and I have no problem of going on a 3 hour car ride on the 23rd of dec (my surgery is going to be a TAH ) spent a day in a hall she has rented for the family.uhm yeah right....NOT.

Then she asks if my hubby and the kids can go there by themselves leaving me home alone... on that one not just no but HECK NO. Ok so the kids are teenagers but I will be with my family on christmas specially 3 weeks after major (actualy less) abdominal surgery.That didnt go over well.Then she says "dont become an invalid" and after a few days she was up and running and working the farm.

Ugh
kat
Unread 11-19-2007, 06:41 PM
You Won't Believe This One

I get no sympathy from my mother (she had all her kids by the time of her hysterectomy, I have none). She is an independent soul who answers to nobody. Here is my childhood memory of her experience.

Me, banging on the bathroom door "Mom, hurry up, I have to go."

No answer.

My brother pounding on the door "Mom, I've got to go too, hurry up!"

She answers " Leave me alone, I'm busy, go on out and play or something!"

Thirty minutes later, out she comes and happily says "Oh, I feel so much better, my belly was itching, so I decided to take out my stiches."

Two days later, her incision opened up, she got an infection, but that was nothing compared to the tongue-lashing she got from the doctor! She deserved it.

How can I expect any normal advice from such a rebel!
Unread 11-22-2007, 07:35 PM
this just happened today, over 3 months post op

Happy Thanksgiving to All,

I am over 3 months post op today and I think what was said to me tonight have to be the stupidest things ever.

My uncle, who i haven't seen in about 6 months, did not know that i had a hysterectomy. tonight at my parents dinner table, he says to me, "Mare, you look great, you look like you had plastic surgery "!!! I'm sitting there thinking, gee thanks, what i did i look like before, chopped liver ???

then as if that wasn't bad enough he proceeds to go one better. next thing out of his mouth was " you're just the kind of girl i'm looking for, you're young, good looking and you can't have kids, ha ha ha ha " it wasn't very funny to me. is it any wonder why he's looking for a girl ? as you can guess, he is not one of my favorite relatives. no wonder i haven't seen him in 6 months, and that's not long enough........

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register