stupid things people say... - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

stupid things people say... stupid things people say...

Unread 03-19-2007, 11:50 PM
stupid things people say...

I always get "so how far along are you?" then I tell them that actually I was not able to have children. Boy you should see the look on there face. 2. I bet your so happy that you don't have a period anymore.3. your luck that you get to have fun all your life and no have children cuz theyre a pain. Just think you will be free and not like me with a screaming kid and can't even go out to dinner or have sex. .............People are idot's to say that stuff. hahhahaha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-20-2007, 05:42 AM

We (my DH and 2 boys) were in Walmart when I was 2 weeks post-op. We had to go to the service desk to return something. There were 3 female employees there and one told me how cute the boys were (they are 7 and 3) and that I needed to have a little girl. I just politely said that my boys were enough for me. She just wouldn't drop it! Kept saying that little girls love to shop and stuff and I just said no, my boys are enough. No more babies. After we walked away, I asked DH if I should have told her that I had a hyst 2 weeks ago and there were not going to be any more babies. He said no because the poor woman would have been mortified. I think I should have just to teach her to mind her own business.

When I told my mom I was having the hyst, she told me "you're gonna hate it". WTH was that all about??? You would think that I would get some support from my own mother who has also had a hyst! She had hers done when she was about 27. She still isn't being very supportive of me.

My DH asked me about 4 weeks in how long I was gonna milk this for. He's lucky my raging hormones didn't kill him.

That's all the ones I can think of for now! lol! I just can't believe that people can be so stupid and insensitive. They need to learn to think before they speak.
Unread 03-20-2007, 07:33 AM

The day after my surgery, They took the cath out, an hour later, I couldn't go pee, so my nurse, and another nurse on the floor came in with the bladder scanner to "measure" the contents of my bladder, my nurse had never used one before, so the older one was showing her, she then said "It gives you the option of Male or Female, click Male" I looked at her and said "male"?? she said, "Well yeah sweetie, you don't have a uterus"... I started bawling..
Has stuck with me to this day.... according to this test, I'm a male, because I don't have a uterus!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-20-2007, 08:24 AM

Well that was not so nice to put it to you like that. She could have said it another way without hurting your feelings and sounding insensitive. I had a nurse after telling her I had a hysterectomy and showing her where it the surgical site is literally give me a shot of heparin almost right in the cut. I wanted to clobber her. IDIOT>
Unread 03-20-2007, 08:49 AM

This is a FANTASTIC THREAD thanks, let me rip...

4 weeks after mine I was at my in laws and my husband was playing catch with his much younger male cousin. His family member felt the need to come over and say to me 'boy, he really needs a son!!!' I replied 'well, that's not really something I can accomidate, now is it?
(we haven't seen that person since~ that was to years ago!

2 weeks post op my girlfriend came over with her then baby boy and continued to wine and moan that she was having trouble getting pregnant, through her tears she says 'what if I never get pregnant' I responded, I have no idea how you'll cope, I can't even imagine what that would be like.

Just before my surgery my sister had a baby girl and insisted I be in the room with her. When I explained that that would be very difficult for me she said, well its not about you now is it, its about me!!!

A gazillion people have inquired into when my husband and I plan to have another child, (now that I'm 2 years post op I'm able to responda little better) I say well you see I'm barren, or I'm actually a man, or I ask what their anual salary is and if they declared all their income, one of those usually shuts them up. Any ** I could go on and on, but I won't

hlb
Unread 03-20-2007, 09:04 AM

I've had the "female surgery" comment too. The two husbands of the ladies I was talking to who had butted into our converstaion turned red and started making jokes how they wouldn't know about that stuff. Ya, duh! Teach them to eavesdrop though...hehehe.
Unread 03-20-2007, 09:12 AM

I remembered one more! We were at Buffalo Wild Wings (where my DH goes EVERY Wednesday after work) and we were talking to they guys he works with. Well, I hadn't been in there since December probably, but most of them knew I had the surgery. One guy was talking about the boys and said that I needed a girl. (I don't know why people think that I am not happy with just 2 boys!) My DH and I both said that wasn't going to happen and this guy just said you never know. DH and I both said yea, that isn't going to happen. It's impossible! Then we had to tell him why. He didn't stay much longer after that! LOL! Actually, that was the shortest stay I think I have seen for this guy!
Unread 03-20-2007, 09:48 AM

to the founder of this thread
Odd comments
"No way - isn't that bad for you at this age?"
"Aren't you a little young for that"
and my mom who's never driven and came in for a visit - she had a TVH 11 years ago - couldn't understand why I got tired driving her around here and got a littl crabby at the end of the day.......
thanks again
Reb
Unread 03-20-2007, 10:17 AM

I'm one week post op and here's a good one for you - talking with a friend yesterday, a female friend, same age as me (45) and I would think knows all about the birds and bees at her age siad to me "does this mean you can't get pregnant again?" I had to bite my tongue quick because I almost came back with "Well I guess I could still have a tubal pregnancy as I still have ovaries & tubes, but how the **** sperm would get there I don't know as it's just a great big open space between cervix & tubes!!!!" I swear she's not the sharpest pencil in the box! But it did give me a little giggle that she even asked the question. I think for christmas I'll get her that 5th grade "where do babues come from" book!
Unread 03-20-2007, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janebr
I'm one week post op and here's a good one for you - talking with a friend yesterday, a female friend, same age as me (45) and I would think knows all about the birds and bees at her age siad to me "does this mean you can't get pregnant again?" I had to bite my tongue quick because I almost came back with "Well I guess I could still have a tubal pregnancy as I still have ovaries & tubes, but how the **** sperm would get there I don't know as it's just a great big open space between cervix & tubes!!!!" I swear she's not the sharpest pencil in the box! But it did give me a little giggle that she even asked the question. I think for christmas I'll get her that 5th grade "where do babues come from" book!
That is too funny! I was talking to my stepmom about the surgery before I had it. She is 42, I think and has no idea how the female body works or where things are located! I was astounded, especially since she has had one child!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register