stupid things people say... - Page 31 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

stupid things people say... stupid things people say...

Unread 01-01-2008, 03:54 PM
stupid things people say...

It had been a year of crazy health challenges for my family --me, my husband and 2 of my kids all had some sort of health issue--that left our 13 year old son who was convinced he was going to have something happen to him--when then told them about my surgery and that they would need to be helpful teenagers--when my hubby brought the kids to see me in the hospital--the 13 year saw how much pain I was in and some of the medical equipment and said very seriously tha he hoped his "uterine" never acted up--we laughed until we cried--
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2008, 12:50 AM

When the decision to have my hysterectomy was made,(the same day as several painful tests and biopsies) I was given many waivers to sign before I could be set up with a surgery date. One of the "waivers" that I needed to sign was to acknowledge I would never be able to get pregnant after surgery. (Well this wasn't going to happen before surgery either since I had a tubiligation 12 years previous and DH can't have kids.) I actually started laughing and said "are you serious, duh".
She explained they actually had a patient insist that she was pregnant several months after her hysterectomy. No matter how the staff explained the impossibility of her being pregnant, she kept insisting she had to be pregnant, she hadn't had a period in months. My DH had to sign the rest of the papers, I hurt too much from laughing.
Unread 01-12-2008, 09:07 AM

I heard the "at least it's a good cancer" one too, along with "make sure you tell the doctor to give you a nice scar" my response to that was "I'm more concerned that he get the cancer out" Some people are too vain for their own good.

My favorite one though, the day before surgery I was getting the stuff for my bowel prep. I asked where the phospho stuff was and went and got some. The teenage girl that checked me out, looked me straight in the eye, and said "Have a good one!"

I don't think she even realized what I bought. Roomie and I had a good laugh over that one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2008, 09:45 PM

I am not sure if this should fall under. A co-worker told me this..She was glad that I got sick because thanks to me she was able to get health insurance. She refused to do anything associated with my job to the point that someone else was hired to cover for me. She even sent me a card not hoping I was well but wanting to know when I was going to be back. She tells me this as she is handing me a list of things she informs me she no longer will be doing since I am back. ( I still had on my coat).
Unread 01-16-2008, 01:48 PM

gee - what a difficult co-worker! How in the world did she get health insurance because you had surgery? I hope things settle down with your job.
Unread 01-16-2008, 07:54 PM

Apparently, she added 3 hrs from my 8 hr day. She negotiated insurance as part of her taking on the 3hrs. Things were better today. I talked my supervisor and hr about her statement and pushing of work on me. Apparently, she was warned against doing it before I came back. So time will tell. Thanks for asking
Unread 01-20-2008, 02:13 PM

The worst thing somebody said when I mentioned the hysterectomy was:

"So you don't want to have kids?" Aghhhhh... That was so hurtful. Thank God we were able to adopt a few years later, a 14-month-old girl from Russia, who has been our pride and joy!!
Unread 01-26-2008, 03:59 PM

I had someone say to me "So... Your getting rid of the crib but keeping the playpen". LOL It gave me a chuckle.
Unread 01-26-2008, 05:15 PM

Before:
Mom: "But if they leave the ovaries your still going to have the aaweful periods so whats the point?" And I wondered why I was an only child.
Hubby: "I dont know why they are leaving the ovaries. They cant detect ovarian cancer easily and since you have cancer now, your probably going to get that too and die before they catch it" Gee thanks honey I wasnt scared enough the last 3 months
Grandma: "Now your husbands going to have to go alone on that trip now. Cant they wait until you get back?" Umm no gram, Im in too much pain NOW to go.
Friend: "I'd make them take the ovaries while they are in there, you dont want to risk a tubal pregnancy. I mean I know you cant get "really pregnant but there is the option of a tubal since the end that was tied off is gone now" Yes, you guessed it, shes a nurse.
Son: "Does this mean I wont have to hear about vagina anymore?" Heheh I guess the past 3 months of cancer and other issues have been alot on him. I simply said..Yes, about mine anyway...lol

After:
Mom: "Oh my god your peeing blue!"
me: Yes mom, they put dyed liquid in my bladder so they would know if thye knicked it while disecting my uterus from the bladderflap"
Mom: Oh my god they nicked it because its coming out blue"
Me: "No mom, it would have came out inside if they had, now its just coming out normally"
Mom: as she is walking toward the foley "This is NOT "normally" Just look at it, it IS blue" as she pulls the bag from the bed and subsequently nearly yanks it out of me.

Hubby- as I am crying due to uncontrollable pain: "Guess what, Heath ledger died while you were in surgery" Like I could care at all at that moment

Son's friend- at 33hr post op- "Hey is your son home?" me"He is in bed, its 11:30pm!" Him: Oh, Whats wrong with you? you sound mad" me: remeber, I just had surgery?" him: Yeah, but that was yesterday, I thought you'd be better by now. My mom said you would be fine once you woke up" Me: well your mom probably didnt mean I would be in no pain or anything, just that the cancer issue would be gone" him: Oh well, she said you would be able to help us move this weekend because when she had her hysterectomy she got up after surgery and came home and packed up the entire house and moved. So will you help us on Saturday" me:Umm no, I am in pain..your moms a fool and you tell her to call me so I can tell her that" him: ok well can you go get your son so I can talk to him?" I hung up

I think a lot of people (who hasnt gone through this - and unfortunatly some who have) feel that no one whould need more than a day to recover.

The lady who works with my husband had the same surgery, with the same doctor as I did exactly 2 months before I did and she DID actually go shopping the next day and was back to work in a week. She had no pain at all she said except for the painful area where they put the injections in (we both ahd vaginal proceedures) So my hubby, his entire office, and even I, expected the same for me. LUCKILY my hubby said this to my doctor as I was screaming (I had a really bad time) and was sternly told "ALL women are different as are all surgeries. I can do the exact same surgery on 100 women and there will be at least 80 different outcomes. YOU will allow her to follow my instructions and YOU will not allow others to tell you she should be better than she is..UNDERSTAND?"
I love my doctor!
Unread 02-03-2008, 05:19 PM

My funny isn't so much as to what was said, but done.

I went to my doctor's office for my post-op visit and the nurse asked me to leave a urine sample in the bathroom. I did and when she went in and came out she wrote something on my chart. When the doctor called me in and I saw the chart it read "not pregnant". Um hello, didn't I have a hysterectomy a couple of weeks ago? DUH!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register