stupid things people say... - Page 32 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

stupid things people say... stupid things people say...

Unread 02-04-2008, 09:39 AM
stupid things people say...

That is really weird ... maybe the nurse didn't know your history??? Did your doc say anything? A urine test might have been useful for some other reason, but that was a waste of $$ and time. Gee, I hope everything else went well for your postop visit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-04-2008, 09:51 AM

Why arent you better yet??
ARGH!!!!!!
Unread 02-07-2008, 08:12 AM
Slightly worring this one

- when I originally went for my pre op consultation, the consultant was unsure whether to go for a total hysterectomy, so he asked the top consultant to come in for a second opinion. As he walked in he took one look at me (not even my notes) and in quite an aggressive manner said why is this 31 year old woman even being considered for a total hysterectomy (I'm 49)!!! I was slightly concerned about his eyesight as he would be the one doing the op!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-07-2008, 08:26 AM

ok When I was explaining what the up coming surgery would be like to my mom.

Me: So the uterus and the cervix will be removed

Mom: uh huh

Me: My dr and I hope I can keep my ovaries

Mom: (real excited) oh if you keep your ovaries that means you can still have babies. right?

Me: (argggggggggg inside) no mom you need your uterus for that.

Mom: oh (disbelief)

how is this conversation even possible?
Unread 02-07-2008, 10:20 AM

Julie,
Im beginning to thing all of us women between 30-45 have mothers who missed this education. There is so many of us who had the same conversation with our moms. Im wondering if there was a 10 yr or so period of time that anatomy/sex ed or whatever, wasnt discussed?
My mom STILL(after several explanations) keeps asking me if I have had a period since my surgery! She insists it will be come and I'll be sorry because "it will be a doosey this time, since they were messing around in there so much".
I kept my ovaries so she truely believes that if you have them, and you ovulate, that automatically that means a period...ugh!

I am gonna have to one day teach her about the birds and the bees!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfarley24
ok When I was explaining what the up coming surgery would be like to my mom.

Me: So the uterus and the cervix will be removed

Mom: uh huh

Me: My dr and I hope I can keep my ovaries

Mom: (real excited) oh if you keep your ovaries that means you can still have babies. right?

Me: (argggggggggg inside) no mom you need your uterus for that.

Mom: oh (disbelief)

how is this conversation even possible?
Unread 02-08-2008, 12:49 AM

My son to me two days home from hospital.

DS: Mom, can D****n come over and spend the night?

Me: Not for awhile babe, maybe in a few weeks.

DS: But you owe him!! He couldn't come over before cause you were sick!!

Me: I don't owe YOUR friend Jack Crap now do I??

Me: DO I!?!

Hehe!! I won the stare down! I forgave him, he just lost his 16-y-o mind there for a minute.

And my DH

DH: I understand it's hard to move because of your incision, remember how tender I was when I had my vasectomy?

Me: Yes, I remember how uncomfortable you were with the 27 staples holding your scrotum together. HA!! I win!!

These guys are just so much fun to play with!

bitterpill
Unread 02-10-2008, 02:27 PM

My 5 year old said to me when he saw me in the hospital:

"mommy, you said they took things out of you. Did the docctor find any cool Lego's?"

HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!

Then, this is more "cute" than funny. My 7 year old is very empathetic. I'm 6 days post-op now, and he came up to me yesterday and said, "mommy, I'd like to miss a couple days of school because I think it'd be more important to stay home and take care of you." Awwww! (he's in 1st grade and loves school, so for him to say this is a big deal).

My husband said something funny the morning of my surgery.... he was joking though, but it was funny.

he said, "you know how when you take your car into the mechanic to get it fixed, the mechanic leaves the parts they took out and replaced in a bag to give back to you so you can see they actually fixed the car. Is your doctor going to be bringing your uterus and appendix out in a ziploc bag in the waiting room to give to me just to show that he did take the things out?"

HAHAHAHA!! That really made me laugh.... :-) Luckily, that was just BEFORE my abdominal incision, so I actually COULD laugh out loud!
Unread 03-07-2008, 09:20 PM

I think I may have popped a few stitches reading this thread, thank goodness I have my pillow pressed firmly to my tummy while at the computer.

I had a co-worker ask if I would only get a period every second month now as I was keeping an ovary. I had to get her to repeat the question as I thought I must have misunderstood what she was saying!
Unread 03-07-2008, 11:07 PM

Louise, this is a fun topic! I am amzed how misinformed everyone is about the female parts...I have had to answer the same question several times since surgery..."Will your periods be less painful and not as heavy now?" I seriously told the last person.."uh huh, theyre gone altogether, now if I just can keep from getting pregnant" instead of the oh duh Im an idiot look...she actually said.."Oh yeah that would be a bummer after going through all that. If you do, will the periods come back?" UGH!

My own mom is still trying to figure it all out. I had to explain a couple times that the ovaries isnt where period blood comes from (I kept ovaries for now) and then had to explain that the eggs didnt just drop out of my vagina now when I ovulate (guess she thought I was a hen or something...lol) Then yesterday when discussing that I needed to go talk to the doctor about some problems Im having with discharge, smell, and pain with sex, she actually said "How are you having discharge and sex? I thought they took all of that out" oh my..I love her but I know why Im an only child.

get well soon!
Kim

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflower66
I think I may have popped a few stitches reading this thread, thank goodness I have my pillow pressed firmly to my tummy while at the computer.

I had a co-worker ask if I would only get a period every second month now as I was keeping an ovary. I had to get her to repeat the question as I thought I must have misunderstood what she was saying!
Unread 03-08-2008, 08:26 AM

I had to have hernia repair surgery 7 months after my hysterectomy. so I go to the hospital to check in the morning of and the woman checking me in asks if I have a urine sample to which I replied " no I wasnt told to bring one I guess because i cant cant get pregnant because I had a hysterectomy in April" then she asked me when was my last period and I said oh, I had a hysterectomy this past April... well what do you think her next question was?... she looked me right in the face and asked "when was your last period!" I told her to put down MOnday April 23 2007 @ 1:00 in the afternoon. Then she asked me about any pervious surgeries!!??? And this woman was in her 40ies! her coworker behind her rolled her eyes and started laughing... All I could do is shake my head and say a prayer for her!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register