stupid things people say... - Page 39 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

stupid things people say... stupid things people say...

Unread 07-17-2009, 09:49 AM
Re: stupid things people say...

I've been asked, "Will you ever have kids?"
I love to respond, "I've adopted three. It's the best thing possible. I get to spoil them rotten, then give them back to their parents at the end of the day."

The three little ones are great, because that's exactly what I get to do. If any temper tantrums were to show up and not get checked, the parents would be able to take over, thus I don't have to expand my parenting skills.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-17-2009, 11:37 AM

Stupid/Funny/downright not thinking....

My sister who is a science teacher in high school decided to tell her children that I was having a hystro. and since the youngest is 8 and the oldest is 13 she told all three in different ways but on a scientist level. The day before surgery I called my sister to say I was ready and that I was scared. All in all this would be fine and I would see her the second week of recovery, then she let me talk to each of the kids. Andrew and Michele told me good luck but Alexander the 8 yr old wanted to know what I was having done, I explained that only my uterus would be taken out and that I would be fine. He asked what it was and thinking quickly stated that it was where babies grew in momies tummys. I almost peed my pants when he blurted out - Oh you are going to be a boy now, we don't wombs and can't have babies. I am SO going to get him with that when he gets older.

My sister same one as above never really understands what she says can come out as harsh or evil. I would guess being brilliant would have something to do with it as she has no common sense. So while making my life hell the second week of recovery (nothing like weakness to allow a little sister to take advantage of you and tell you all the wrong choices and things in your life) she decided to walk around the house to take things she "wanted" to send back home with her. She had taken a cook book WE got for a christmas present when I was 12 and she 10 and told me that she was taking it. When I argued no it would stay here she went through many reasons why she wshould have it. But the final straw to break my back and no I still haven't spoken to her (not thinking I will ever at this point) was the statement - why do you want this cook book it is for kids and you will never have any. I am sure it was a plain statement meant with no harm intended (YEAH RIGHT) but nope haven't forgiven and hard pressed to figure why I should now.

Finally the nicest and funniest given where it came from. I work for the military and was in the military (mostly male population you need to remember) . I was having all the doctors appts and finally had to tell my supervisor (have 7 and 5 are female) that I would be having a hysto, my spuervisor looked at me and said oh great, my wife is going through menopause, you are having this and my daughter is going through puberty. I am leaving the state! and adding to it he caringly looked at me and said man you guys are paying hell for that apple. To which I calmly replied and pulled out - tell me which %^&$&* tree and I will put the apple back. He laughed so hard when I pulled out the apple I had been eating.

forgive them for they know not what they say....

Marcia

- Thank you I needed the laugh today. I hate the weepies and since surgery I get them a lot
Unread 07-17-2009, 01:03 PM

Both are from my 19 year old daughter:
You're not going to get your period anymore???? I want one!!
And here's the best (3 weeks post op when I asked her to run the vacuum): When are you going to get off your lazy butt and do something?
In my defense, I pushed myself to the limit---dishes, laundry, and even walked 3 miles 5 days post op. People have no clue because you look so normal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-18-2009, 09:33 AM

I've unfortunately heard some of the ridiculous comments people "need' to say....

Like this from my sister...
"Are you depressed because you're not doing anything?" (like get up off your butt & you'll feel better)

Or this from a friend....
"Exercise is good for body & soul."
(sure! when the Dr. says I can do it!)

I'd love to see how quickly they would bounce back after having so many things removed!

Like it says here...you only have one chance to heal properly.
Unread 07-19-2009, 08:13 PM

And yet another person ruined what I thought to be a very pleasant post operative outing...

Insensitive and Ignorant Woman: "When are you due?"
Princess Martini: "Excuse me?!?!"
IIW: "When are you due...to give birth?"
Princess Martini: "Ohhhhh...(rubbing swelly belly)...I'm due in my next lifetime...and that's if I'm reincarnated as a female...otherwise, this will just be beer gut!!"
IIW: "Oh, you're funny!"
Princess Martini: "No, YOU'RE funny" (rolls eyes and sashays off on the rest of my stroll like a supermodel

I honestly wanted to rip that woman's hair out of her scalp!!!
Unread 07-19-2009, 10:35 PM

I'm probably one of those women who, before I had a hysterectomy, would have asked "when are you due?" I had never heard of "swelly belly" before my surgery and I didn't know that fibroids could cause a woman to appear pregnant.

I honestly think that people don't say these things to be cruel. Before my hysterectomy I was clueless. Now that I know what it involves, I'm more sensitive to others.
Unread 07-20-2009, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine View Post
I'm probably one of those women who, before I had a hysterectomy, would have asked "when are you due?" I had never heard of "swelly belly" before my surgery and I didn't know that fibroids could cause a woman to appear pregnant.

I honestly think that people don't say these things to be cruel. Before my hysterectomy I was clueless. Now that I know what it involves, I'm more sensitive to others.
I would have thought the same if this woman had not been a neighbor who doesn't speak to me even though she sees me all the time...and like any other military wife, would know that from the lack of movement of my husband's truck for several months that my spouse has been deployed since December.

I think had it been anyone else (who didn't live in spitting distance of my house); I'd have been more forgiving. lol. In hind sight, I find it rather comical. I'm now feeling sorry for her rather than wanting to tear her hair out of her scalp. (tee hee hee)
Unread 07-20-2009, 12:35 AM

I never, ever, EVER ask a woman when she's due. Not unless she is standing there rubbing her belly and saying something like "Oh, I can feel the baby kicking" or "I can't wait until this thing is out".

Hmm, hang on a minute. Now that I think about it that second one could be her talking about her massive fibroid...better scrap that one for future reference! (just a quick aside, 3 days after I gave birth a woman asked me when I was due. I told her next week so as to not embarass her).

Another one to this thread my boyfriend added last night. I was taking my nightly contraceptive pill and told him that after this packet was finished I wouln't be needing any more. He said why's that then. I said (in that over active way you do when someone is being dim) Well, I'm not going to require contraception after December, am I? He was still looking puzzled. Because....contraception stops you getting pregnant. Yeah, I know he goes, so? So, you kind of need a uterus for one of those....Ah! Yes, got you now. Right.

And this man has 2 kids!
Unread 09-09-2009, 04:22 AM

My boss actually said to me just tonight when I was telling her about my upcoming surgery...

Congrats! Then you will be able to wear "regular clothes". WTH does that mean?
Unread 09-09-2009, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsUSMC View Post
I had a coworker ask me if my surgery was for medical reasons. I told her "Na, I just got tired of having a period so asked a doctor to cut my guts out."

LOL priceless

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register