stupid things people say... - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

stupid things people say... stupid things people say...

Unread 03-20-2007, 10:52 AM
stupid things people say...

What a great thread!!! I'm not sure where to start, but I think the best of the worst for me was while I was in the castle. I was in the maternity wing, (any of us that were there know how awful it is.) and it's also a teaching hospital. While I was going for one of my walks, a teacher/professor was there with her students in the hall way, and commented on my fuzzy light blue colored robe. She actually asked if my husband bought it for me because of my baby boy!!!! I told her no,that I had a hysterectomy, and that my two nieces bought it for me as a Christmas present, and wanted me to think of them while I was in the hospital. I didn't know if I should laugh :smilie5: or cry. I got a survey in the mail a few weeks later, and commented on the remark. Not sure if It'll work, but it made me feel alot better!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-20-2007, 10:59 AM

Here's one more that I had forgotten...
When I booked the time off with my employer at the time she said, "so does that mean your going to grow facial hair?" This employer went on to 'let me go' 7 days before the surgery since you know it just wasn't working out! That's the best thing she ever did for me!!!
hlb
Unread 03-20-2007, 12:09 PM

I was asked by a family member, in the middle of my kitchen, with other people around, if she could see my scar. I said it's a little low.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-20-2007, 12:29 PM

On the couch - I think that should win a special award or smiley for
INCREDIBLY OUTRAGEOUS
Just my .02
Reb
Unread 03-20-2007, 12:56 PM

one of the nurses at my doc's office is a little off her hat. when i came in the first time i spent a long time talking to her about my endo...she was there when i got news about my hyst and she talked to me about her daughter who had one. when i came back to get my staples out she asked if i had a boy or a girl! when i lifted my shirt and showed her my belly she said, "oh neither one...you had it all taken out huh!"

then at my two week appointment she asked me AGAIN if i had a boy or girl. i almost fell off the table. but i said, "no...you asked me that last time...look at my chart."

but then of course i've had the typical..."oh you're lucky" from women who've never had the surgery...and from women who've had kids. so strange....i wonder if i'd get the same "oh you're so lucky" if i'd had a kidney removed??

blah. people are so completely oblivious.

great thread though!
Unread 03-20-2007, 02:25 PM

i was at the drs. for my 5 week check and showed him the bulge of swelling above my incision and asked when it would go away and he said "you can lose it" , I said as in diet. I told him I didn't have it before surgery. And this is the same dr. I asked if I could have a tummy tuck as long as he was in the area (I didn't know they actually did that, ****) and he said well you have hardly anything there. What a jo
Unread 03-20-2007, 02:31 PM

GREAT THREAD!!

Right after my surgery I woke up in recovery screaming from pain. Unbeknownst to me my doctor mentioned to my husband that I was a bit "overreactive" to the surgery. My husband told the doc well she did just have a major body part removed right??? My husband said make sure she gets some meds ASAP. My nurses made fun of me later for crying after the surgery. I asked my doc later why it hurt so much and he played it off and said it's major surgery it's supposed to hurt. Good thing he took some advice from my husband because otherwise I may have hurt the man.

My mom and I were in a restaurant months later and I had been telling her about my insomnia and the fact that I was feeling kinda lowsy. She sat me in the full sun of the window. Well needless to say 25 minutes pass and the restaurant is full of people so between the hot window seat and the crowd of people my head starts sweating. My mom just laughed and said ha ha to my girls your mom is having a hot flash. She's never been a supportive one.

After my surgery my best friend was no where to be found. I had to CALL HER. So one month later she calls to tell me she miscarried. Horrible of course, but she assumed I'd have tons and tons of sympathy for her, but I couldn't seem to muster enough for her to be satisfied. Tried really hard, but it wasn't apparently enough. So yesterday she tells me they tried again and nothing happened. I was like Oh, OK. Today I tell her sorry, I should have been a little more empathetic and she says, "Yeah, it was kind of a big deal ya know." Can't win for trying with some people.
Tara
Unread 03-20-2007, 03:09 PM

I reading all these comments in earnest. I started back today at the store my dh and I run together, we have many regular customers and I have a personality to get along well with lots of them, there's always a laugh or 2 going around, it's my job to send them on there way with a smile. Sometimes it requires a little flirting , a lot of sass and mostly just funnin" A lot of them realized I was gone for 6 weeks, several even asked about me, they know I'm ALWAYS there. I've already heard the vacation joke 3 times today, my dh can go home early now that i'm back and the best today was a gentleman who went on and on about how he hurt when he had his surgery. I'm sure I''ll get it all as I see them, I have to take it as good as I dish it, but even my dh stuck up for me on one of the vacation remarks. Oh and what is it with some of these gals in the drs office, it's thier job,man, it bugs me, to read a chart, and complaining is good, some people really do need to be put in their place sometimes. If they can't have empathy at least keep your mouth shut when you don't know what youare talking about. you are not just a number, you are patient who deserves dignity and respect no matter what your troubles are, I don't care how many patients they see, it's still their job to read the chart.
Unread 03-20-2007, 04:22 PM

Upon hearing of my upcoming hysterectomy, my sister's mother-in-law proclaimed, "When my mother woke up from her hysterectomy, she said she felt like she had been brutally raped." This was at the Thanksgiving Dinner table! Thanks, lady. I should have told her, "Really? I know someone who woke up from her hysterectomy and said she felt like she had just been to an exotic beach where she was fed hand-dipped chocolates!"
Unread 03-20-2007, 04:45 PM

Terrific thread--some of you really made me laugh.

My only one was from my sister, who said "Well, at least you're done having kids...." Like that was a consolation. I tried to tell her that there was so much more to it than that, but she just didn't get it.

acb66

LAVH 02/14/07--ovarian cysts, fibroids, and adenymosis

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register