stupid things people say... - Page 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

stupid things people say... stupid things people say...

Unread 03-20-2007, 06:05 PM
stupid things people say...

When I told my "former" hairdresser that I was having surgery, she said the reason they were taking it out was that I hadn't used it, and it got moldy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-20-2007, 06:30 PM

My Mom after 2 days home from the castle...I can't believe your not bouncing back faster.
(She's a nurse, had a tah/bso and I love her vey much, but was very shocked.)
Unread 03-20-2007, 06:49 PM

That's ok, when I went to see my gyn on a follow up about my MRI, vaginal ultrasounds etc, plus I talked to him on the phone he forgot what I was there for. He came in did a routine exam, pap everything. I asked him about my ovarian cyst which was 9.3cm he said we'll keep an eye on it. I proceeded to kind of pick his brain about everything they found wrong with me and he looked in dismay. He was like what is she talking about. I was telling him about all of the pain and the tests I ran and my face I know was like in shock. Well he then opened up my chart in front of me and started going thru it. He saw the all the tests that were run and then said oh we have to remove this. I wanted to get off the table and choke the man. So three weeks later I call to see about my pap results, they say they didn't take a pap. I am like I know what a pap feels like. They still said they didn't do one. The next day I went on my insurance companies web site and saw a claim was processed for one. I called the gyn back to find out the results. They still said they didn't do one. I explained that I found it on the web site I know he took it and I am not going to pay for something the didn't take. Well, they looked a little furtherand found the results. Thank goodness they were normal. Idiots. Then today I went for a follow up with my cardiologists for my heart attack and stent. He said your stress test came out normal. I said I didn't have one. he looked at the name on the test results excused himself. I heard him tell a woman that this was in the wrong chart and he was holding her personally responsible for the mix up. By the way my blood work from last week wasn't in my chart don't know if they recieved it yet or not. The dr wasn't happy about the mix up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-20-2007, 07:29 PM

The only dumb thing anyone said to me came from my MIL. After the surgery, I was telling her on the phone how great everything went and how happy I was that I had the surgery. She just wanted to know, if I no longer had my uterus, wouldn't I become depressed? Some people just gotta look for that cloud in the silver lining, I guess.
Unread 03-20-2007, 07:55 PM

Hi Sisters!
I had my TAH on Ash Wednesday, and one of the nurses aides asked me if I had given up my uterus for lent.....
And that was at a Catholic Hospital!
Wendy
Unread 03-20-2007, 08:00 PM

Grove that is a good one. I had a cardio cath and a cardiac stent put in at a Catholic Hospital. Well, the night of the stent and cath I had to undergo a not so pleasant pushing of my groin area to break up a hematoma that collected at the cath site. Any way it was also three weeks post hyster and man was I saying a few choice words and the nurse said shh your in a Catholic Hospital. I'm like sorry it freaking hurts. WOW. If that wasn't bad enough I had to lay flat for another 6 hours with a 10 lb sandbag on my groin and not move my right leg. I could wiggle the foot but not move my body at all. Nice after having a hysterectomy. Oh I think I was more stiff and hurting after that.
Unread 03-20-2007, 08:17 PM

Upon returning to work, one co-worker (who I had previous conversation before I was out on medical leave about what type of surgery I was having) asked "How's your shoulder doing"?

A computer tech was nearby and spotted me and said "I see you're back from your extended vacation."

My response "Uh ... I wouldn't call it a vacation!"

Prior to surgery another co-worker (female) said "I'm surprised you didn't have this done sooner being you weren't going to have children."

(DH has children from previous marriage and already had a vasectomy before we met.)

Had to explain to her this isn't something just done electively as a birth control method.

She then did say "Oh, I was confusing this with having tubes tied."

Same co-worker after hearing how I was feeling post-op said "You've convinced me to not ever have that surgery!"

Uh ... can you predict you'll never have problems and NEED this surgery? I was thinking she probably was still under impression this was elective surgery and I just chose to have it done.

Of course the "You're so luck you don't have to mess with periods anymore" from a few women.

Another female co-worker asked how long before periods would stop. Had to say "My uterus is gone, so it was over with immediately."

Yet another co-worker (female) asked how big incision was. I held up my hand to show width (about 5") and she said ... "Really? Mine was only this big (and held fingers up about 1/2" wide) ... she had something done to her ovaries laproscopically.

Unbelievable how many WOMEN are unfamiliar with their own body parts and what they do and/or don't do. Crazy!
Unread 03-20-2007, 08:24 PM

I told a female friend that I had everything removed cervix etc. She said I guess sex is like banging a brick wall. I think she thought my vagina was sewn shut. I laughed with her but thought to myself she doesn't know anything about hysterectomy's and she is only 55. Oh my.
Unread 03-20-2007, 08:25 PM

I don't remember exactly how this all went, but at some point on the second day in the castle the doc asked what I was going to do to which I replied "go on a 2-3 mile jog"
Unread 03-20-2007, 08:29 PM

bab that is a good one.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register