3rd DR's a Charm | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

3rd DR's a Charm 3rd DR's a Charm

Unread 03-21-2007, 05:10 PM
3rd DR's a Charm

Well, you all kept encouraging me to continue to sort thru this until I found a DR I was comfortable with and thank you for that! I went for my first appt w/ a different GYN ONC today to talk about my atypical endometrial hyperplasia. He was AWESOME as compared to another GYN ONC I saw earlier...and my OBGYN is nice too, but just isn't up on the whole cancer thing as much as an ONC, rightfully so. Dr #3 recc surgery, but based on my slight reluctance to dive right into that, he referred me for some genetic testing for BRCA1 and BRCA2. We don't have a lot of breast or ovarian cancer in our family, but we have cervical, endometrial, colon, prostate, stomach, lung, and oral and when he saw the family tree, he really took it seriously (unlike some before who dismissed it). I guess the BRCA genes can influence many cancers outside of just breast and ovarian....I'm new to this, so I'll have to research it a bit. I really feel like I'm finally on a path to making a good decision on this, plus I'm doing something that can potentially benefit my kids and cousins. I know there are privacy risks with future health insurance, etc., but I'll do what I can to minimize it and I feel the potential benefits outweigh the downsides. Thanks again for your help....you're some kinda awesome sisters!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2007, 06:15 PM
3rd DR's a Charm

g2njl:

I am so glad that you found a doctor that you like and respect AND who is really listening to you. I know that you are trying to avoid surgery, but with or without one of the BRCA genes, this condition because cancerous in about 1/3 of the cases. Please continue to have biospies done even after menopause. No one recommended that to me, and you can see from my tag line what happened to me. I was "lucky" in that I had symptoms that lead me to have it checked out fairly early.

I'll get off my soap box. I just want to give others a warning that I didn't get.

Big hugs for you. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Lyn
Unread 03-21-2007, 06:56 PM
3rd DR's a Charm

A good doc makes all the difference. I am glad you have found one. Gather all the info you need and make the best decision possible for your care. The ladies here are great. I am glad you heeded their advice and kept searching. Take care.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2007, 07:43 PM
3rd DR's a Charm

Good for you! I am so glad you kept looking til you found "Mr. Right".
xoxox
k9
Unread 03-22-2007, 08:56 AM
3rd DR's a Charm

Good to know you did not settle for just any doctors advice and you continued to look for the right one. It is very imortant when looking for the right GYN/ON doctor. I to had to see one and I was very lucky to find doctor right the first time I had my appt.. Good Luck with every thing, and make sure you follow every direction to the letter, and make sure you continue to ask all the questions you can remember every time you have your appt's.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register