Hi, newbee here, needing support. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Separate Surgeries

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hi, newbee here, needing support. Hi, newbee here, needing support.

Unread 03-21-2007, 09:05 PM
Hi, newbee here, needing support.

Hi everyone. I first want to say thank you for reading my post. This is a little long, I apologize in advance, but I don't want to leave out any details. In March of 06, I had a partial hyster. and now exactly one year later I have had both ovaries removed. It was proven that I had Polcystic ovarian syndrome. Durring the past 2 years I have lost 85 pounds. After the removal of my uterus a year ago, I have gained 20 lbs. But I didn't start that until about 3 months ago. Funny thing about it is, my clothes still fit. I had my thyroid checked - normal, so my family doc put me on a diaretic for water retention, within 3 days I had lost 10 of those 20 lbs. Well, because I have chronic constipation already, the diaretic was making it worse, so I had to stop taking them. Within 4 days, the 10 lbs was back. Well, this past weekend, I had a pain shoot straight through me, almost felt like a broken hip or slipped disk, but come to my surprise, I had 2 cysts on my left ovary and my right was covered in scar tissue and it looked like a web around it. Doc said to my husband that the pain I was having would be similar to his Uhmmm things being tugged on. He also said that my right ovary was much larger than the left because the inside of it was full of cysts. He also said that this is probably why I have gained the extra weight and not been able to lose weight. He put me on the hormone patch to start with. I was just hoping that maybe you could tell me what to expect, are the patches "safe", and MOST IMPORTANTLY will I be able to lose weight again. I have been excercising 6 days a week for the past 3 years, changin my routines, and keeping a good diet. It was just until recently like September that I started having the gain. Sorry to take so long, but I do appreciate your reading this. I was also wondering if anyone else had chronic constipation before their hyster. and afterwards if it went away. Also, will the facial hair deminish? Sorry to be so long, I'm just sad and confused. It's only been 2 days since surgery. Thank you again for taking the time to read this. Big Hugs, chellelee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2007, 09:15 PM

Hi,

I don't have alot to offer for your issues, but did want to you. I also have PCOS, but I kept my ovaries. PCOS is really an endocrine issue with multiple ovarian cysts being a symptom of the disorder. I think most of the women here will tell you that hormone issues, and fibroids, cysts, etc. can most certainly have an affect on weight- both gaining and losing.

Anyway- glad you have joined us!
Jean
Unread 03-21-2007, 09:30 PM

Hi Chellelee,

I too have PCOS, so I understand the frustration of the disorder. Have you had your insulin levels checked? Your testosterone levels?

It is common for PCOS women to have elevated levels of both. An elevated insulin level will prevent you from losing body fat. You simply cannot do it with insulin flowing through your veins. Elevated testosterone is what causes the hirsutism (body hair where you don't want it).

The bad news is that an oopherectomy will not cure PCOS because while PCOS affects the ovaries, it is actually a disorder of the whole endocrine system.

I take metformin (glucophage, a diabetic drug) to control my insulin levels, and spironolactone which is a diurectic and has a side affect of lowering testosterone levels. I have done very well with treatments and have been losing weight steadily since I began the meds. I also feel better. The excess body hair is finally gone

Here is a link to Hormone Basics where you will find several articles with more information about PCOS.

In order for us to help support you better, please change your hysterectomy date on your profile to reflect the date that you had your uterus removed

I hope you find the answers you are looking for.

Kay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2007, 09:39 PM

Well, that's ok. I appreciate the warm welcoming. I am just glad to finally find a group of women who I can talk to and that understands. My best friend, Grandmother and whom I considered to be my mother was the only female that I really had to talk to and she passed about a year ago. Now I'm left with my Husband and Grandfather, I do have my real mom and mother in law, but it's not the same as my Grannie was. So really all I have around me are Men, who just don't get it. But I love them dearly. I just needed a female to talk to.... If you know what I mean. Hugs!
Unread 03-21-2007, 09:47 PM
Thanks, one more question

I have had just about every blood test imaginable done within the past month and everything was where it needed to be. That's why they had a hard time diagnosing me. They thought for a long time that I had a pulled muscle or something, because everything looked so "good" on the blood work, cat scans, etc. I will mention it at my follow up, but now knowing this, what do you think? And the meds' you are taking, they will only give you that if they find insulin in your blood, right? In other words, I can't just ask the doctor for it, or can I? Thanks for the response. Hugs!
Unread 03-21-2007, 10:16 PM

Insulin serum level is not something that is normally tested for, because until recently it was thought that increased insulin would produce low blood sugar, so they just checked blood sugar levels. However, with PCOS you can have an extremely high insulin level and normal blood sugar levels (that is my case). You might also have to specifically ask to have your testosterone levels checked. Your levels don't necessarily have to be very elevated to get the treatments. My DD's levels are just slightly elevated and she is also on metformin and spironolactone.

PCOS is a fairly newly discovered disorder, and not all Dr's are up on the latest research. I had wonderful Dr's, but had to find another one who was knowledgeable enough to understand PCOS and had the interest to treat it.

You can stay here and ask all the questions you want. That is what we are all about....women helping and encouraging other women.....

There is another thread that is discussing PCOS right now. You may be interested in it. It is right here: https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...d.php?t=291402

Here's some for you, just because sometimes chocolate helps

s

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register