Packing for the hospital..not sure what to pack for | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Packing for the hospital..not sure what to pack for Packing for the hospital..not sure what to pack for

Unread 03-22-2007, 04:13 PM
Packing for the hospital..not sure what to pack for

What should I take for a LSH. My DR said if things go well I should be released 12 hours after surgery. But then there is that risk of them having to perform a open ab. on me instead. I don't want to over pack, but should I just go ahead and pack for a possible 48 hour stay?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2007, 04:53 PM

There were a few things I took with me, i.e. my tooth brush and paste because I do not like the hospital one. I also took slippers with me but thay will give you socks that have the slipper eel to it, all of those things were just for my own personal comfort but one thing I was extremely gald to take was sanitary pads because the one they are going to give you (and they will give you) are the big ones. This was all of course my personal choice because they will supply everything for you.
Unread 03-22-2007, 04:58 PM

Toothpaste, toothbrush, hairbrush, deod, chapstick, ear plugs, throat lozenges. Something comfy to wear home (I wore flannel pj bottoms, tshirt, sweatshirt, socks and slippers. My hospital let me wear my own socks and slippers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2007, 05:16 PM

ear plugs and throat lozenges. Those are great ideas too! Something I hadn't thought of. I wonder if I will even remember to use them? I could always remind my DH to remind me. Thanks for the suggestions. I plan on taking my crocs...those double as outside shoes and slippers for me, lol. I could sleep in those they are so comfy.
Unread 03-22-2007, 05:28 PM

I took my make-up bag because it made me feel better. I also took my toothbrush, toothpaste, gum, back scratcher, mini-pads and regular pads, slippers, a light nightgown and robe, my cell phone and charger, a small radio and a magazine to browse through. I wore out what I wore in.
Unread 03-22-2007, 06:30 PM

I had a TAH/BSO and I was in the hospital for three days. I was very glad that I brought chap stick for my lips, my own toothpaste, a bathrobe because I had to walk four times a day per doctor's orders before I could come home, and slippers to walk in. I also used anti-bacterial hand wipes that I brought with me because I couldn't get to the sink for the first two days with the IV pole. Make sure your doctor leaves a plan with your nurses the first day/night in case you start vomiting from the anethesia. My doctor did not. Thus, my vomiting caused a hematoma and complications before the nurses could get a hold of my doctor to prescribe an anti-nausea drug.
Unread 03-22-2007, 06:33 PM

I already know that I throw up right after anethesia, so I let every nurse and DR I came in contact with yesterday know about it. So they put on my chart to give me zofran(??) Never heard of that, but hey if it works, they can give me all they've got!! I absolutely detest throwing up, esp after surgery!!!
Unread 03-23-2007, 12:16 AM

All that and LOTION!! You get so dry in the hospital. You will really be glad you took chap stick and lotion!
Unread 03-23-2007, 09:48 AM

Bottled water and vanilla pudding. The pudding helps with the bitter taste left over from anesthesia.

Good luck!

Sherri

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register