Fibroid the size of a Football :( | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fibroid the size of a Football :( Fibroid the size of a Football :(

Unread 03-24-2007, 10:15 PM
Fibroid the size of a Football :(

Hi Sisters, I am new here, glad I found this site for some support.
Here's my story. For the last 3 years I kept wanting to know why my waistline was getting bigger, my Dr said I needed to go on a diet and that it was scar tissue from a previous surgery. Well, I decided to get a new Doc, went in for a physical and asked him why my whole abdomen upper and lower looked like I was pregnant. He advised I schedule a pelvic exam with him. I went for the exam and all he told me was that my uterus was enlarged and that I needed an Ultrasound. I went and had the Ultrasound done and low and behold, there's a single fibroid growing in my uterus the size of a regulation football. I had to laugh, yet was kinda freaked out. I guess that explains why everyone asks when my baby is due!!
I was referred over to a GYN by my new Dr and will see him on 3/28. It's funny that it never bothered me except during my cycle, I would have the worst cramps and horrible bleeding, which is caused by the fibroid, and also very anemic from all this. It is such a drag that my old Dr didn't catch this and he is an Internal Medicine Dr.
I'm scared, I know they will have to do a hysterectomy. I'm mad that I have suffered for 3 years thinking I was just one of those gals that had the worst possible cycle in the world.
I'm happy that I have a new Dr and he was smart enough to look into more.
I'm a single Mom, my son is 12, not much of a support line in my family. I'm confused and scared to go under the knife.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-24-2007, 11:05 PM

I am sorry you are scared but know that this is normal. We all are before surgery. I was so terrified I almost cancelled but did not. I am 6 1/2 weeks post op and doing ok. I also was very anemic, heavy bleeding with lots of clots and had 6 fibroids. One the size of a grapefruit, 2 the size of oranges and the rest the size of golf balls. I am so glad you got a new dr. You will definitely need help the first 1 to 2 weeks after surgery. First realize, (I have to sons 11 and 13) your 12 year old can do a lot for you. You should have enough time to get organized. Things that you can do is cook ahead of time and freeze the meals so you don't have to worry about cooking. Clean the house if you want to and decide where you will spend the first week. They do not recommend you go up and down the stairs a lot the first week. If you will be home by yourself during the first week make sure anything you will need is in easy reach and in small enough bottles that you will be able to pick up. Do you have any friends in the area that can help? If you have any other questions just let me know but this site is wonderful and you will have lots of support here. Good luck at your dr's appt.
Unread 03-24-2007, 11:29 PM

Are the doctors sure you need a hysterectomy for this? Even very large fibroids can be removed via myonectomy, which would preserve your uterus. It might be worth asking anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-25-2007, 07:28 AM

Oh I don't want my uterus anymore. That darn thing has caused me nothing but trouble LOL. I am 42, I procreated and I'm done LOL

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register