Hysterectomy dates Mar 26-Apr 02,2007 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Mar 26-Apr 02,2007 Hysterectomy dates Mar 26-Apr 02,2007

Unread 03-26-2007, 12:00 AM
Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Mar 26-Apr 02,2007

If your hysterectomy was between Mar 26-Apr 02,2007 this is the place to post your progress during your hysterectomy recovery.

If you have a question about your recovery, please start a new thread to receive answers and support for your concerns!

We hope you are recovering with plenty of rest and a bit of walking.

Post how you are doing here when you are home and well enough to sit a few minutes at your computer.

Don't forget to pamper the princess, drink plenty of water and walk a bit!

Remember all the love & support you got here as a pre-op member? Now it's YOUR turn to give back to the women in Pre-Op Forum. Extend your hand and your hugs in replies to our pre-op ladies in waiting. This will complete our circle of Women Helping Women!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-29-2007, 09:42 AM
Hysterectomy dates Mar 26-Apr 02,2007

"Well, I'm home! Had a TVH on Monday 3/26 at 8am and was released Tuesday at 2pm. I was on dilotid (sp?) for the 1st 24 hours or so, so I don't remember much. Woke up Tuesday morning with lots of pelvic pressure, but no real pain. As soon as they removed the catheter I took a shower, went pee several times and started passing gas right away. I walked around the unit with DH and was told I "passed the tests!"

The ride home started out rough (every bump sent me through the roof) until the percocet I took right before d/c kicked in and I slept the last 20 minutes - thank God. Nothing unusual since being home... peace, rest, quiet, water, walking, American Idol!

The hospital folks were awesome. They were so good to me and all went so surprisingly well. I haven't decided yet how to express my gratitude to them. So many of them were met while in a dilotid fog and remain nameless. But I'm so grateful that my experience was so positive. I feel great today -- still passing gas, a bit crampy when my percocet starts to wear off, no bm yet (taking stool softners), a little pain when peeing, but all in all, so much better than I anticipated!

I hope others yet to "go under" have as positive an experience as I've had. My prayers go out to all of you, whether recovering or anticipating surgery. It's true... the waiting was the hardest part!

Thanks for this site, which prepared me and is now here for post op support and information. God bless hystersisters!"

**I originally posted this yesterday in the 3/19-3/26 thread, but most of the ladies there were a week or more into recovery and the discussion didn't really apply to me. I thought I might find more in common with those who would post in this thread - those just getting started in recovery. Since this post, I still haven't had a BM and have found that sitting for any length of time is not good... learning to type lying down is a trip. I still need all my pain meds, so the percocet fog is setting in. I'll be glad when I can cut the pain meds, but when I tried to live with only 1/2 the prescribed dose yesterday, I regretted it. I learned the reason I wasn't in any real pain, just pressure, was totally attributed to percocet and ib600!!! Maybe this weekend....

colls
Unread 03-29-2007, 06:51 PM

I'm a March 26 hystersister too! I got lost in the other thread too, so I came here.

All went well. I arrived at the hospital at 6:00 and surgery started at 7:00. By noon I was in my room. I had a LAVH/BSO with an umbilical hernia repair and the removal of a vulvar skin tag. My doctor said that my uterus was 4 times the normal size and weight due to the fibroids.

I had a little nausea due to eating ice chips too fast, but that went away with a shot of phenergen. I also had a shot of dilatin (sp?) for pain. I was never in pain, just uncomfortable. The next morning they removed the catheter and I peed and passed gas within a few hours. I was discharged at 3:00 p.m. Everyone at the castle was wonderful and I received exceptional care.

I have had minimal pain, but I have been on percocet since I came home. I prefer to manage the pain and not let it get out of control. My little incision on my belly button is sore, but I can't even feel the other two. I basically feel just like I did after I had my babies. I've had a little trouble emptying my bladder but using the warm water squirt bottle helps that.

I'm just resting and taking care of myself. I keep remembering that there's only one chance to heal correctly. I'm enjoying being on this site and helping the ladies with the pre-op jitters ... I know I appreciated the help I received last week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-29-2007, 06:56 PM

Hello my Sisters!

I had a complete abdominal hysterectomy on
Tuesday. I am not home. I didn't have many complications. They had trouble stopping the bleeding and my blood pressure dropped to 85 over 50. Now I am on iron pills because of the blood loss. Other than that, I feel as I had when I gave birth to our son via c-section. I want to say think you to everyone here. Without your support, I am not sure if I would have gone through the procedure. This message board and all who live here are absolutely the most wonderful knowledgeable people.

Thank you again all for your hugs and support!

Judi (ZFMM)
Unread 03-29-2007, 07:03 PM

Wow, MT... our trips to the castle sound almost identical, except that I had a TVH (no lap so no external incision to remind me). Glad you had a positive experience, too.

I went for a walk outside today. Glad to get some fresh air, but I think I walked just a tad too far. We have a dirt bike track through our woods (@ 1/4 + mile) and when I got to what I thought was 1/2 way, I decided to press on instead of turn around. Well, I was probably only 1/3 of the way around. By the time I got to the house, my thighs were almost numb! I'm glad I did it, though. No ill effects so far.

Will stay in bed for the night, now, though -- for sure!
Unread 03-29-2007, 08:54 PM

Came home today. I had a TAH on Mar 26. Along with my uterus, they doctor removed one ovary and a ten pound fibroid They showed me pictures. It was about the size of a volley ball. So, I was the talk of the OB floor all week. It would not be so astounding if I were not so small but I am only a size 3-4 and no one could figure out how that thing fit inside me. Painfully, that's how!
Anyway, the surgery went very well and only took about an hour. I woke up in recovery with almost no pain. Drugs are great, aren't they?
My entire stay was very uneventful, other than being a side show freak. I got into a routine pretty quickly. Eat a little, take a walk, take some meds, take a nap. I plan to keep up that routine at home for a few days as well. I'm so glad to get this over with. I already feel better than I did before my surgery!
Unread 03-29-2007, 08:56 PM

I had my Laproscopic partial on the 28th. Surgery was scheduled for 7 am which was good because the bowel prep the night before was AWFUL! I actually felt better after the surgery than I did that morning because my digestive tract was very angry. They gave me a shot of demerol because I had the shakes when I was waking up. I don't remember the shakes but that's what they said. I hate pain killers so I was much happier when that wore off! I met all the criteria so they let me go home early. I was supposed to be home this morning but came home last night. I was really glad I got to sleep in my own bed last night. I also think it was easier yesterday because i didn't hurt as bad. I'm actually having more problems with the gas that's settled in my shoulders and ribs from being inflated. Once that goes away, I'll be feeling much better. I have 2 little incisions that don't bother me at all and then one bigger one because there was endo in my old c-section scar. My uterus was enlarged and one of my ovaries was attached to my abdominal wall. They also said something about my bladder but DH was not paying attention when the doc went over it so I'll have to call and talk to him. Pre-op doc was thinking it was interstitial cystitis. I received excellent care in the castle. The nurses were very nice and accommodating even though they wouldn't let me have real food...only chicken tea and jello!

My mom is here taking care of me and the girls. DH hasn't gone back to work yet either. I think he's worried about me:-)!!! None of them will let me do anything which is probably a good thing!

Good luck to those that haven't gone yet, my prayers are with you all!
Rena
Unread 03-30-2007, 04:53 AM

I had my TVH yesterday morning. It was uneventful, and I didn't experience much pain (gotta love that PCA). I had several visitors throughout the day and surprisingly it didn't tire me out. Went to bed at 10:30, but woke up at 1am with bad cramps (memories of my teenage years) and an incredible backache. Also, total loss of coordianation (I would try to scratch my ear, but my hand went to my eye, etc.) and major tremors. They don't seem to know what that's all about but it has improved dramatically. While I was doing my second walk of the day the nurses commented on how amazed they were with me, that I don't look like someone who just had surgery yesterday. Aside from the numbness in my legs and right arm, I am doing great and looking forward to going home tomorrow!
Unread 03-30-2007, 12:09 PM

Hi all, just a note to say I'm home and on the road to recovery. I had a TAH/BSO on March 27th. All went well, with little pain and not much gas. I don't know if I could of had as good a recovery if it hadn't have been for this site and all the Hystersisters. It is a wonderful site and I told my roomate about it and she was going to check it out when she went home. Thanks again. and Best wishes and speedy recovery to all.
Unread 03-30-2007, 12:35 PM
Home (sort-of) and finally computing!

Hi, gang!
I see that the majority of us posting here had our surgery this week. Mine was a double doozie on 3.26 for a lap-coli (gall-bladder) and LSH with options on ovaries and whatever else looked as if it needed "outing". Turns out one of the ovaries was riddled with cysts and they took it- funny thing... all the ovary pain I thought I'd been having was from the left side, but the one that was removed was the right!

Anyway- the surgeries went smoothly and I even started an hour before they had anticipated! Who ever heard of going in early?? The pain was horrendous- but, I had a double whammy there and some kind of drain-bag banging around my middle. Not to mention that I'm a Factor V Leiden patient (FVL- blood clooting disorder) and so I am bruised up everywhere. So they kept me pretty "druggie" for the first 24 hours or so and I was itching like crazy.

By the time I was finally off the morphine pump (Tuesday afternoon) it was time for the foley cath to be removed- okay, fine. So- then there are in there asking me to pee every twenty minutes. I can't do it. Can't. Not happening. Nothing. And my urine had been pretty pink so my nephrologist (kidney doctor) was kindly asked to join the party. Long story short- I'm still on hooked up to the leg-pumps to keep the blood-flow moving around in my legs (as I have calcified clots in one leg from the knee to above the hip) and they are asking me to hop up and pee twice an hour! Oh, joy! Don't get me wrong- the whole staff was very concerned and extremely kind and caring- it was just a lot of exercise for some that was coming off of pain killers!

Anyway- thank God for my sister (IRL) as she stayed with me almost the entire time and spoke up for me; and my Dad who spelled her and drove me home. Mom was there but had to run home and check on our G-mom. I came home on Wednesday afternoon and have celebrated my 45th birthday (today, Friday!) by going to the doctor and having labs pulled, ouch! To make it a little sweeter- my driver took me by McD's for some of those new cinnamon-whatevers! YUM!

I think I may be back in the "land of the living" now! And, have actually walked outside to see Springtime!

Ciao!
Sally

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register