Hysterectomy dates Mar 26-Apr 02,2007 - Page 10 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Mar 26-Apr 02,2007 Hysterectomy dates Mar 26-Apr 02,2007

Unread 04-05-2007, 09:27 PM
Hysterectomy dates Mar 26-Apr 02,2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk83

Others of you with abdominal incision - how's your progress? Are you able to do anything yet? I folded a load of laundry today and took my daily walk up and down the hallway in my home - for 15 min (2x). Not able to go outside until Tuesday for my dr. appt. Stairs...
I've ventured out a couple of times, but each time I end up in bed the next day...even for just a car ride and very short steps into a store or something. I'm going up and down the stairs a couple times a day, but can't carry anything (of course). My belly is swollen above my incision right now due to the ultrasound done to dx the ovary cyst earlier today. It's hot and sore, but a cold pack feels very good. I had to walk lots today at the clinic and hospital as they did their tests. I was offered a wheelchair ride, but didn't want to take it! I also snuck off to Target to get some Easter things. I know I will be sore tomorrow, but my hubby is home and can take care of things.

Keep an eye on that fever and keep in touch with your medical provider!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2007, 10:57 PM

I had my staples out today, about 20 of them. The ones she tought would hurt didn't even pinch but others ouch!.(TAH BSO Mar 26) I have steri strips and have to watch a couple of places for infection. What a relief from the OR bandage. Finally got to take a shower and wash my hair, it felt great! I was exhausted from my outing and thought I could sleep, but no. So here I am with the insominacs.
Unread 04-05-2007, 11:59 PM
Almost a Week, Post OP

My surgery was Friday, 3-30-07.
Well, mine was supposed to be a TVH but because of bleeding and swelling, it ended up being TAH. So, I woke up to quite a surprise. I was told that lesions were removed from my ovaries, but were left intact. And there was some endometrial tissue attached to the ovaries which was removed.
My stay in the hospital was pretty good except that, my cathater (sp?) was removed too soon, the morning after my surgery, and I was so swollen that I could not pee on my own, and almost passed out on the can. But, my bladder swelled up and it took so long to get the doctor's order to reinsert the catheter, that I was in so much pain, I truly wondered if my bladder was going to burst. I hurt so badly that I didn't even feel the catheter when reinserted. UGH!
But other than that, I did quite well, and I'm doing well at home, too. I had to go home with a catheter, Sunday, and it was removed on Tuesday. Everything is functioning normally. I not only gave them back the amount they put in (doctor had the nurse fill my bladder with 150 cc of water, expecting at least that amount out) but 2 times more. I didn't know I could be so proud of peeing. LOL
I timed my surgery to the exact day. By taking 5 days off work, I will get 2 1/2 weeks to recover before returning to work. I get Spring Break for a week, as a teacher. I haven't had to take strong presciption meds. since getting out, except a couple of times at night. I even managed to attend a class, this evening. (Don't worry, I didn't drive. Classmates picked me up.)
I'm really glad that I won't have to cook for Easter, either. My friend has invited us to her house. WHAT A FRIEND!!
Well, as you can tell, I love to "talk". I'm really glad I discovered this place. Got to get some Zzzzzzz's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-06-2007, 03:36 AM
Old Blood ???

Woke up twice this morning (1am & 4am) to urinate and much to my surprise, I have old bloody discharge - just a little bit. But with the fever I had yesterday, which was low grade, below 100, I'm concerned. I've had a discharge similiar to this when I previously had a bad UTI (long time ago). OR another possiblity is when I was in the shower yesterday I lifted my arm to rinse I felt something pull on the left side of my incision, then burning sensation. Maybe I knocked something loose and passing old blood from surgery? Anyone else experience this? I bled very little after surgery, at the hospital and was done before I came home. No one indicated that there might be more - new or old. I'm going to call the dr. office when they open - four hours from now!
(SAH 3/27, left ovaries and cervix)
Unread 04-06-2007, 04:54 AM

SandyJuneBug - congrats on getting your staples out. Hope you are sleeping now and don't see this message until much later today!

JayHawk- let us know what the doctor says.
Unread 04-06-2007, 07:03 AM

I have steri-strips and internal stitching. After each shower, I blow dry the incision and then apply hydrogen peroxide to make sure I am not leaving any bacteria on the skin from the towel. I am probably over-doing the bacterial thing, but when I had my c-section I ended up with a skin infection on my incision that felt like matches on my skin. It seems to be healing well. I don't feel much pulling when raising my arm, however when I get up in the morning, my muscles almost seems like they are stretching themselves and I have to consciously stop them because I am afraid I will pull out the stitches internally. It may be because I sleep in the fetal position and the muscles want to stretch out as soon as I am awake.

The cipro I have been taking due to a bladder infection is causing havok with gas pains and bowel movements. I must have gone to the bathroom 5 times this morning and it is only 9:00 a.m. This in turn causes spasms so then I am taking more percocet. It is one viscious cycle. There are definintely up and down days in this healing process.

I am glad to hear everyone seems to be doing well. It is so nice to read how other ladies are dealing with aches and pains, and that I am not alone on this road to recovery. Thanks!
Unread 04-06-2007, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyjunebug
I had my staples out today, about 20 of them. The ones she tought would hurt didn't even pinch but others ouch!.(TAH BSO Mar 26) I have steri strips and have to watch a couple of places for infection. What a relief from the OR bandage. Finally got to take a shower and wash my hair, it felt great! I was exhausted from my outing and thought I could sleep, but no. So here I am with the insominacs.
I had my staples out yesterday too! I slept so well last night it was amazing! I hadn't expected it... I am so sorry about your lack of sleep!
Unread 04-06-2007, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk83
Woke up twice this morning (1am & 4am) to urinate and much to my surprise, I have old bloody discharge - just a little bit. But with the fever I had yesterday, which was low grade, below 100, I'm concerned. I've had a discharge similiar to this when I previously had a bad UTI (long time ago). OR another possiblity is when I was in the shower yesterday I lifted my arm to rinse I felt something pull on the left side of my incision, then burning sensation. Maybe I knocked something loose and passing old blood from surgery? Anyone else experience this? I bled very little after surgery, at the hospital and was done before I came home. No one indicated that there might be more - new or old. I'm going to call the dr. office when they open - four hours from now!
(SAH 3/27, left ovaries and cervix)
My dr. told me that it could happen off and on throughout the healing process! I didn't have any spotting or anything after surgery but now, am having the same passing of old blood, but usually only when I wipe after I pee sorry... but dr. said it could happen for 6-8 weeks. ... don't know if that helps
Unread 04-06-2007, 08:01 AM

OK, I feel like I was hit by a train today! After my big walking day and a night of insomnia on Wednesday and my long morning at the office (which I didn't expect to be so gruelling -- sitting at a table talking for 3 hours) with walking tour of the new building yesterday... I forced myself to stay awake until 11 and SLEPT LIKE A BABY all night (one 5am trip to the bathroom). Now, I feel like I've been hit by a mac truck. Stiff, achy, both hips are killing me from laying around all night long yesterday, my right shoulder feels out of joint from typing one-handed while laying on my left side, so I've managed to find a comfortable way to recline in bed with my laptop (go figure) IN MY LAP! Much better.

DH came in this am after I woke up and said "After I pick up the kids at 1, you wanna go?" (carpet shopping!). I said "hell no!" I'm not doing ANYTHING today. Gotta heal. Maybe tomorrow.

TK,
I am 40 (still a pup!). When I went in for my d&c in October one of my doc's partners almost had to do the surgery b/c he was in delivery. She came in to see me and was asking about my desire for a hysterectomy (the d&c was an insurance requirement - I knew I wanted the hysto last summer, but had to please the bureaucrats). I told her I would not make it if I had to wait until mother nature took the curse from me. She asked my age and when I said 40, she said - "Oh yeah, girl, get it outta there!" It was then I knew I'd made the right decision.

Sophia,
Your reality was my greatest fear. When I woke up in recovery, I remember touching my belly just to be sure. I knew it was a real possibiliy and was prepared for it, but REALLY didn't want it. You see, I am pretty "fluffy" and I just had thoughts about how that incision would (or wouldn't) heal under my belly. Glad I didn't have to find out. I have so much respect and empathy for my TAH and LTVH hystersisters. I read about your progress and am praying extra for you. I know us TVH gals have our own set of complications to worry about, but there's just a special place in my heart for those of you with incisions. Speedy recovery to you all -- incision or none!

colls
Unread 04-06-2007, 08:33 AM

Distracted1
I've done alot of reading since 4:30 am and I see that it could be normal. That has eased my mind some. The thing that concerns me is the low grade fever. AND it's Friday - I don't want to get worse over the weekend. It would be my luck I would spike a fever of 102 on a Saturday! I've got a call in to the dr. office. Thanks!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register