Hysterectomy dates Mar 26-Apr 02,2007 - Page 15 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Mar 26-Apr 02,2007 Hysterectomy dates Mar 26-Apr 02,2007

Unread 04-08-2007, 08:53 AM
Hysterectomy dates Mar 26-Apr 02,2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk83
Jen
I had fun putting "baskets" together for my 16 yr old son and 17 yr old daughter! They are a little old for baskets but still require chocolate! Sent DH to the store with a list yesterday. I got a pack of 6 pk bottled pop for each, removed three bottles from each pack. Put Easter grass in the empty holes. Bought each of them a copy of their favorite magazines, put in an empty slot. Bought a bag of their favorite candy - empty slot. AND of course, Cadbury Eggs in the remaining empty hole. I saw the idea on the internet - thought it was cute for teens! We'll give it to them this morning at breakfast.
The kids enjoyed their "baskets"! They already broke into their candy and are looking at their magazines! I think they were surprised. Good idea from the internet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2007, 09:25 AM

I have just found this website....I had my tvh on march 26th, they also had to tie up my bladder at the same time....
The hospital experience was horrible..they did not even check on my the first night I was there for 8 hours. Thank goodness for the auto pump of drugs.....Then when the dr came in the next morning and said to take out the pump and cather (at 8 am) i had to remind the staff at 2 pm that he had given that order. Of course that evening my iv got infected in my hand and they had to try and put the iv in another tiny vein.....thats when I completely lost it and cried for at least 1 hour.
My dr does not believe in putting the patch on you right after surgery either.....reason ( found out at first week checkup) is that the patch could cause blood clots and i was already at risk for blood clots cause of the surgery....
I am still getting headaches on a regular basis (only taking tylenol - the other medicines made my much sicker) and I get very lethargic after doing very little....trouble sleeping (on ambien at this time) and I want to cry when ever I see a new baby.......( and I really don't want any more children - its just now there is no way for my to have any). I am taking the premarin 6.25 at this time but not sure if it is the right thing for me.....
Unread 04-08-2007, 09:44 AM

Hi Everyone!!! My surgery was on 4-2 and I am at home recuperating. I found this site by searching the internet for some answers on post op and what a surprise when I started reading everyone's responses on the many different subjects. I wished I had found this before my surgery. I don't think I would have as scared and worried about everything. I had a TVH with one ovary being left. Doctor said my uterus was three times its normal size and right ovary was covered in cysts. My surgery was scheduled for 11am but hospital called me at 8am and asked if I could be there quickly because they had a cancellation. So husband and I rushed and got there at 8:30a. Not a easy thing to do when your bowels are still trying to empty themselves. (Was not a fun night with this!!) Anyway get to the hospital and they rush me in, get me in surgery waiting area, iv started, everyone that needed to ask me q's came and went and then the wait was on. About 10am my mother was getting very impatient and went and asked when I was going back. They said doctor had been called up on the floor for a delivery which didn't surprise me. It took me three trips to his office just to see him about having my surgery. Everytime I had a appt he was gone delivering a baby. I just tried remembering that years ago there was some poor soul having to wait on my doctor as he delivered my kids.
Surgery went fine. Took an hour and a half. I don't remember much except waking up in my room to my parents and husband doting on me. I was in and out all day. I could hear the phone ring and one of my family members answering q's but I never woke up good to talk. That night my mom stayed with me and I had a very bad night. I started going to the bathroom about 12:30a and every 20 to 30 minutes I had the urge to go again. When I went it was like I was emptying my bladder for the first time. My mom kept track of it and I had used the bathroom 9 times in over 2 hours. She called the nurse and they put a catheter in me. As soon as she did I immediately emptied 550 into it. That was at 3:30a and by 6:30a I had emptied 1722 into it. I was in alot of pain with bladder spasms. On Tues 3rd doctor came in that morning and said because of the problems I was having he was probably going to keep me another night but wanted to put me on pills(take iv out) and take my catheter out and have me walk the halls 4 times that day. My night staff was great but the one nurse I had on the 3rd during the day was awful. She had no bed side manners at all. I was trying to eat some cream potatoes(hadn't eaten since Sunday) and she came in pushed my tray to the side and said she was taking my iv and catheter out now. I was by myself at this time and in no shape to argue.(Sure wished I could remember her name). She also informed me that she was going to talk to my doctor about sending me home in a couple of hours. I hadn't even been down the hallway yet!! I told her what he had said to me and she said I think you are fine to go home.. At 2pm I rang for some meds and was told my nurse was on her way in. At 2:45p she came in my room and informed me she had called my doctor and I was being discharged. I asked about my meds because now I am really hurting and she said "sorry can't give you any, you are already out of the system. Here's your prescription, get it filled" By the time my husband got there to get me and we made the drive to the pharmacy I was beyond help with pain. I was given Vicodin to take at home, so Tuesday night I was out of it but come Wed. I was throwing up and we figured it was from the pain meds. So I haven't taken anything narcotic since Wed. Just taking my Ibuprofen. I am having alot of pain in my left leg and lots of pressure in my pelvic. I haven't had a bm yet and that is really getting to me. I ended up taking Gas X to relieve the gas pressure. Doctor didn't say anything about the gas or about relief for my bowels. He will be getting a call from me tomorrow. Any suggestions for today????
Well thanks for listening. It just feels so good to relate to others that have gone thru what I am experiencing now.

Mississippi3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2007, 09:57 AM

Mississippi3, I am glad that you found this site. I had a hysterectomy on 3/30 and this site has been a big help to me. It sounds like you had a horrible time at the hospital. I am glad that your mom was with you. I really hated being at the hospital too, even though I didn't have nearly as much trouble there as you. The one thing I would suggest is to not wait until tomorrow to call the Dr. It sounds like you have a lot of symptoms going on very soon after a major surgery. They should do something about them today. I would feel better knowing that you are taken care of today. They could call in a prescription for anti-nausea medicine for you, they could advise you what to do about not having a bowel movement yet, and they could give you their professional opinion about whether your left leg pain needs to be evaluated today, or if they feel comfortable waiting to evaluate it tomorrow. Take care of yourself! This is a wonderful site and I hope you get as much help/comfort from it as I have so far. Good Luck to you and I hope that you feel better very soon.
Unread 04-08-2007, 10:03 AM

Ahheck
I am glad that you found this site. It has been very helpful to me too. I didn't have a very good experience in the hospital either and I am so glad to be done with that. This site has helped me because I was very afraid for my surgery, and didn't have a lot of support at home for my fears. I get support from this site, and I hope that you will be able to too. I sure hope that you will start feeling better soon. Don't be afraid to post on this site when you need support. There are alot of wonderful sisters out there who can support you. When you feel up to it, I have found some interesting parts of this site other than the post-op recovery thread, that have been helpful to me so far. Good Luck to you!
Unread 04-08-2007, 11:29 AM
Welcome Newcomers!

I cannot relate to bad hospital stay. My castle was new, less than a year old. Room was private with two plasma tv's one for DH in front of a sofa/hide a bed and a bigger one on the wall at the foot of my bed. Which was awesome! DH is a Discovery/History channel kind of guy while I enjoy sit-coms. However, the nurse I had when I was released was the worst! Even though she made sure I was full of pain meds before I was released, she bruised my wrist taking out the IV. I think that was to divert the pain of taking out the IV! Also, the night before I went home, had to wait 45 min. for pain shot. I had to remind the nurse again. That's frustrating. BUT now we're all home! There is truly no place like home.

If you are having leg pain, I would call somebody (Dr.) today. I know they get concerned about circulation and blood clots...I wouldn't let that go. Also, if pain meds make you sick, you should tell dr. They could give you something different. Your body will rest and heal better if you are not stressing over the pain.

Bowel issues - there are good tips and articles on this website if you search. I had trouble with this issue and one of the Sisters shared with me the idea of drinking prune juice. I had two glasses and eight hours later, relief! I was miserable without bm. I felt like my incision was going to burst open! Once you have bm, you will feel better! You may want to consider taking stool softener if you aren't already.

It gets better Sisters! Slow but sure... Feel free to post any concerns, like Aurwhe said - fellow Sisters are the best support!
Unread 04-08-2007, 12:58 PM

Ladybug 07
I had my surgery March 28th at 8:00 everything went great I came home that Friday around noon and so far so good. I was really worried about the pain and the menapause symptoms but have not had any so far. I have had a problem sleeping but not to bad.I am well on my way to recovery
Unread 04-08-2007, 02:47 PM

Thanks to all of your advice and support. This afternoon is looking better for me. Leg pain is easing up and finallllllyyy had a bm. Hurt like you know what and wasn't alot but was relief. Thank Goodness. My pelvic pain isn't as bad today so the ibuprofen is helping. Have had company today bringing food which helps my husband out. Was very hard watching him clean house this morning when I am such a fanatic over my housework. This I feel will be the hardest for me during recovery is not doing what I normally do every day and depending on someone else. Bad thing for my husband is that I go back to doctor on 5/10 to be officially released and then fly out on the 13th for two weeks with my job. To say the least he will be about ready to explode if you know what I mean. He really has been a great spouse the last twenty one years and so I know he'll survive this too. Thanks again to each of you sisters!!!!!
Unread 04-08-2007, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyjunebug
Happy Easter everyone, it is as the pedulum says we swing from side to side as we heal. We swing from good days to bad and as we go along the good days become more frequent. Enjoy the day
That is a good and true saying. I had a bad day pain-wise, but was distracted by good things - Easter service, family, good food, sunshine, etc.

Happy Easter to all!

Theresa K.
Unread 04-08-2007, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk83
I cannot relate to bad hospital stay. My castle was new, less than a year old. Room was private with two plasma tv's one for DH in front of a sofa/hide a bed and a bigger one on the wall at the foot of my bed. Which was awesome!
What? That's so awesome. I'm jealous! I had a teeny room with a roomate, one old TV with very few channels and no chairs or couches. Hmph. Didn't they know I was a queen with a crown? However, I had exceptionally nice staff, so I'm not too jealous.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register