Hysterectomy dates Mar 26-Apr 02,2007 - Page 6 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Mar 26-Apr 02,2007 Hysterectomy dates Mar 26-Apr 02,2007

Unread 04-03-2007, 04:18 PM
Hysterectomy dates Mar 26-Apr 02,2007

I had my surgery on March 26th and am having alot of new pains today. It seems every nerve wants to hurt at once. Better day tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2007, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyjunebug
I had my surgery on March 26th and am having alot of new pains today. It seems every nerve wants to hurt at once. Better day tomorrow.
Sandy,

I also had surgery (TAH w/lap - kept one ovary) on the 26th. I have noticed my pain changing slightly as time goes on. I have also noticed back strain from lying in bed so much! Be sure to keep in touch with your doctor's office. Best wishes to you!
Unread 04-03-2007, 07:05 PM

I had my TAH/BSO last Friday, March 30th. The pain was really my only hurdle to jump at first - because those other requirements seemed to come easily. I had no problem peeing after the catheter came out... I was able to walk quite a bit... I was careful about what I ate and drank so as to not bring on too much gas.... and since the nurses gave me Milk of Mag once a day, I wound-up having a BM before I even left the hospital. I was supposed to go home on Sunday, but apparently all my good luck ran out the night before (Saturday night). My temp spiked to 102.3. They took blood, ran a bunch of labs, tested me for a UTI, etc., and then broke the news to me that I wouldn't be able to go home the next day.

Luckily, as it turns out, my labs were all fine.... no UTI, etc. It's apparently common for a temp to spike after a major surgery. They said it was probably because of shallow breathing on my part. When your lungs aren't fully expanded after surgery it can some times mimic an infection. Needless to say, Motrin, that little air blowing machine, more walking and a very refreshing shower brought the temp down and I was able to go home Monday. I came home with Dilaudid, Motrin and Colace.

My DH and DM (mom) are taking such good care of me. I'm looking forward to improving more and more every day. I have to admit though, I still take my temp a few times a day so as to keep a close eye on it. (Yeah. I guess I'm a bit paranoid.)

I hope all our Princesses are feeling great. I agree with the coughing thing. When I feel a cough coming on I tend to cringe before it even comes out.

Hugs to all! We did it!!!

~Tracey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2007, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAP2007
I had my TAH/BSO last Friday, March 30th. The pain was really my only hurdle to jump at first - because those other requirements seemed to come easily. I had no problem peeing after the catheter came out... I was able to walk quite a bit... I was careful about what I ate and drank so as to not bring on too much gas.... and since the nurses gave me Milk of Mag once a day, I wound-up having a BM before I even left the hospital. I was supposed to go home on Sunday, but apparently all my good luck ran out the night before (Saturday night). My temp spiked to 102.3. They took blood, ran a bunch of labs, tested me for a UTI, etc., and then broke the news to me that I wouldn't be able to go home the next day.

Luckily, as it turns out, my labs were all fine.... no UTI, etc. It's apparently common for a temp to spike after a major surgery. They said it was probably because of shallow breathing on my part. When your lungs aren't fully expanded after surgery it can some times mimic an infection. Needless to say, Motrin, that little air blowing machine, more walking and a very refreshing shower brought the temp down and I was able to go home Monday. I came home with Dilaudid, Motrin and Colace.

My DH and DM (mom) are taking such good care of me. I'm looking forward to improving more and more every day. I have to admit though, I still take my temp a few times a day so as to keep a close eye on it. (Yeah. I guess I'm a bit paranoid.)

I hope all our Princesses are feeling great. I agree with the coughing thing. When I feel a cough coming on I tend to cringe before it even comes out.

Hugs to all! We did it!!!

~Tracey
It's good to hear your report, Tracey. Ugh, I feared coughing for a few days. I still am extra careful about chewing, drinking and swallowing. Now, my bigger problem is laughing, since I'm stuck watching so much TV. I'm still blowing my little plastic tube thingy. I can probably stop now! ha! Regarding the Colace, I missed one dose yesterday and have regretted it ever since. I think I'll take it for another week or so. Any thoughts on that by anyone?
Unread 04-03-2007, 08:55 PM

I had my LAVH/BSO on a week ago on 3/26 and was doing pretty well ... until today. I had a job interview at 10:00, so had to get up, shower, and put on real clothes for the first time in a week. Had lunch at Applebees with DH (a treat for us to go alone because the kids were in school). Then I had a late afternoon appointment with the general surgeon who did my hernia repair after the hysterectomy. Go figure, he wanted to see me in a week ... my gyn doesn't want to see me for three.

So now I think I've been set back a couple of days at least. I'm not in pain, but sore, achy, tired and restless. Yes, tired and restless at the same time. And I didn't really do anything that strenuous. Okay, so I was ready to go back to bed after the shower and putting on make-up and doing my hair.

DH is going back to work tomorrow (he's been on vacation since my surgery) so I'll have the house to myself. Hopefully I can catch up to where I was before today ... there will be no showers, clothes or make-up tomorrow for sure! I guess we're only doing good when we're not doing anything!

Hope you all are recovering and not overdoing it like I did.
Unread 04-04-2007, 06:19 AM

Just a little progress note... Having a bad day already! I was having trouble getting my bowels to move the week after surgery (3/27) Well, they finally moved and moved and moved! I lost track after my fourth trip to the bathroom yesterday! I feel a lot better in that respect but this morning I have a lot of what feels like cramps, below my incision around my bladder area. Maybe from all the "activity" yesterday.? I still have pain meds I am taking this morning. That has helped. I sat up quite a bit yesterday, too. Like Music Teacher, my DH went back to work yesterday and kids were in school. So, I was alone for the first time. I moved from the bed to the recliner, then to the toilet! Maybe a combination of things is why I'm so crampy today. Still have numbness above my incision but I'm told by my other HysterSisters that it is normal and may be numb for a long time.

Hope everyone else is doing well and taking it easy.
Unread 04-04-2007, 07:36 AM

Hello my friends,

I am having a lot of setbacks since by TAH on 3/27. I am in so much pain, almost like my whole abdominal wall is quivering. The heating pad has become my constant friend. I am still taking perocet three times a day just to deal with pain and am just sitting here crying. I have bowel movements at least three times a day, am able to empty bladder thought whether I have to urinate or have a bowel movement, it feels as though my whole insides are red and raw almost to the point I can barely release my pelvic muscles to go to the bathroom. The doctor put me in cipro Monday suspecting a bladder infection but this hasn't helped with the pain and spasming. I am not able to sleep and just the thought of eating turns my stomach. Has anyone else gone through this? Thanks for listening. I am grateful for this forum and my fellow hystersisters.

ZFMM
Unread 04-04-2007, 09:23 AM

ZFMM.... hang in there!!! I had STAH same day as yours and I am still taking the Percocet three times a day, too, but I have cut out the Toradol. This morning I disappointingly woke up to cramps, took a percocet, and I'm still crampy! We just had major surgery! And it was major! They cut us open and removed an organ (or more) to help us live better quality lives. That's what I wanted and that's what I chose as I'm sure the same for you. We have to keep the end result in our thoughts.

Maybe you can plan something you want to do at the end of your healing period. I can't wait to plant my flower gardens - I'm shooting for six weeks, with help from my DH and daughter. In the meantime, while in bed or the shower (cause that's all the dr. will let me do), I am thinking of what flowers I want to plant where and do differently than last year. I draw out plans of the gardens. It gives me something to look forward to because I know, even though I'm down now, I won't be for long!

About your bladder, I've read in other threads from our fellow Sisters that spasming is common and can be mistaken for an infection. But it was good that you called your dr. Look on the bright side! You are having bowel movements and I'm sure there are parts of you healing that you can't feel. Seems like we can only feel the bad things, and not the good. And not being able to sleep is so frustrating and adds to all of the emotional stuff, too.

I'm sorry you are not feeling good - stay in touch with your dr. and think of how good you are going to feel in the near future! Keep your chin up!
Unread 04-04-2007, 11:02 AM

Zffm, I am sorry that you are not feeling well. I had a tah/bso on 3/30 and I am taking medication for nausea as needed. Food doesn't sound very good to me at all. Is it possible that something for nausea could bring you some partial relief to your discomfort? Also I have Percocet for pain and asked to change to something different as I wondered if Percocet could be contributing to my nausea. The dr called in a prescription for vicodin and I am going to try that today as soon as my dh has time to pick it up. I sure hope that your antibiotic makes you feel more comfortable soon and/or your Dr can figure out the necessary changes you need to get rid of more of your discomfort so you can keep up healing. Good Luck to you!
Unread 04-04-2007, 11:44 AM

Thanks for the well wishes. I spoke to my doctor who prescribed reglan for nausea and to take the percocet two tablets every four hours. She said I need to get the pain in control before beginning to heal and so I need to management the pain better. I have read so many threads on here about women not taking percocet after only two days and am wondering if there is really something wrong that I am not able to not take it. However, I think at this point, I need to get rid of the pain so I can sleep. After not having my uterus, ovaries, etc., I think everything is just snowballing. On top of that, I had a school district meeting regarding my son's IEP this past monday, six days after my hyster. That took over one and one half hours. We have two beautiful children, ages 11 and 12. My son, the youngest has Aspgerger's Syndrome (on the autism spectrum) and so trying to keep his services in another battle. Hopefully, everything will be under control soon. Thanks for listening.

ZFMM

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register