Return to work...or not?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Return to work...or not?? Return to work...or not??

Unread 03-26-2007, 12:11 PM
Return to work...or not??

It is five weeks post-op today for me. The plan was to return to work sometime next week after seeing the doctor for my six-week visit on 4/2. As the time draws nearer I just don't know if I am ready and it has me fretting. The day starts out not too bad but as it progresses I find myself dragging even after not doing a whole lot. Although my job is primarily administrative and involves a lot of paperwork, I still do a lot of moving around in a medical clinic environment - by no means am I stationery at a desk all day.

Just wondering how many other "sisters" out there felt like they had to extend their leave? Aside from the physical aspects of dealing with my job, I am not sure if mentally I am going to be able to cope with the demands. When the doctor completed my leave form she stated 6-8 weeks but I was so sure things would be good to go at the six week mark. Is it just me or are there others out there that overestimated their healing capacity?

Any input is appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2007, 12:35 PM
know what you mean

I know what you mean. Granted, I'm barely 2 weeks out, so can't fully judge. Can you work shorter days or do you have to go back for full day? Can you do some of the work from home, in comfort of bed? Even if admin. does it still require lifting (lots of documents)? Need to be cautious if yes. I'm planning on taking nearly whole time off because my job does require some lifting and standing the whole time. I'm going to let my body be the guide throughout. Luckily, I have two very understanding bosses, one of which had a hyster several years ago.

I'd say, if your body is telling you it's not ready, follow it! As the favorite phrase here is: you can only heal right once (or something like that).

Good Luck and keep recovering!
Unread 03-26-2007, 01:00 PM

Cin-sister - it will be tough and only you know your body. Discuss it with your doctor. It's expected that you will poop out by mid-day. You are recovering from major surgery. I went back to work frm home in two weeks and to the office in five. I personally think I should have waited but I was burning through vacation...Make sure that you don't do too much or try to be a superwoman and not ask for help! One piece of paper is light - One ream is heavy!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2007, 01:23 PM

I came back part time after two weeks (just 1/2 days for 2 - 3 days per week) and I am in my fifth week now and shooting for about 1/2 days every day this week and building from there. It is now almost noon, and I am starting to fade. I am very lucky that I have the flexibility I have with my job! I knew it would take some getting used to, so that is why I "tip toed" back in. Some days I am fine, others I am bone tired. You are just going to have to play it by ear. Maybe if you go back "early" you will have a little more room to cut out if you need to on some days.

Good luck!
Unread 03-26-2007, 03:01 PM

Cin-Sister

I was released by my doctor to go back to my office job after 1 1/2 weeks as long as I listned to my body. I could only manage half days for the first week, but I also have the luxury of a job I can bring home with me if I need to. I am not quite at 5 weeks and have been back full time for 2 weeks now. I still get tired by the end of they day but really no more than my normal old "afternoon slump". I did have to give a disclaimer to all of my co-workers that if they said the wrong thing to me I could potentially cry and by day 2 I proved it to them! So, I do agree that taking more time would have been more beneficial for my mental recovery. As for my physical recovery I still only do what I fell able to do...any sign of discomfort I go home for the day.

Hopefully your bosses and co-workers are understanding about what you are going through. Good Luck!
Unread 03-26-2007, 04:16 PM

I, too, underestimated my healing time. Just last week I extended my leave to 8 weeks. I was supposed to go back to work next week, and I just couldn't see myself coping - especially since I'm a music teacher and I am on my feet all day. I'm still worrying about returning at 8 weeks! But I have to because I've used all my sick days.

Anyway, I think if you are having ANY second thoughts, it's your body telling you you're not ready. You only have one chance to recover from this surgery, and you are worth it. Take the time - your body will thank you for it. You deserve a total recovery. No guilt!
Unread 03-26-2007, 04:49 PM

I thought I would be able to go back at 6 weeks, ended up being out for 8 weeks, even with the 8 weeks I came home from work very sleepy and swelly. I am still swelly but not so sleepy anymore. Just have to take it easy. Good luck.
Teresa
tah/rso
Unread 03-26-2007, 05:10 PM

Hi, I also work in a medical office. I do reception, desk work, telephones etc. Quite a bit of walking around. I went to work for the first time on Friday and after only 4 hours, I was exhausted and came home. I will do 4 hours again this Friday coming, and see how I get on. I am going back only one day per week for now but I am like you. I get more and more tired as the day goes on at home. By afternoon, I just want to lie on the couch and the couch is like my security blanket as I have been on it so much since the surgery (7 weeks).
Unread 03-26-2007, 06:06 PM

Thanks for all of the helpful replies. Seems the "sisters" who had more spring in their step sooner were those that had laparascopic or vaginal surgeries. I am wondering if completely opening up the abdomen (mine had to be a vertical incision due to prior c-sections) adds a degree of difficulty to the recovery process. Guess I will see how things progress between now and next Monday. Guilt and worry about how much of a backlog there is at work tells me to suck it up and just go back but I am so afraid of a relapse once I get there. Thanks again to those who took the time to reply and offer ideas, support and good wishes.....back at ya!!
Unread 03-26-2007, 06:32 PM

Honey, with a verticle incision I would take the whole 8 weeks and more if needed. I just had a TLH and went back to work at 4weeks. I should have waited for 5 weeks because I am much better this week.
Anyone returning to activity really needs to watch their back. I can see where it would be real easy to throw it.

Sherri

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register