swollen abdomen after TVH? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

swollen abdomen after TVH? swollen abdomen after TVH?

Unread 03-29-2007, 09:59 AM
swollen abdomen after TVH?

Hi! I am 33 years old, and 2 1/2 weeks post-op from a TVH for excessive bleeding, and feeling GREAT!! I actually came back to work 1/2 days this week. I know it's ridiculously early, but the walls were closing in on me at home, and if I can sit in my La-Z-Boy with my laptop, I can certainly sit at my desk, right??? LOL
Question: Has anybody experienced a swelling in their abdominal area after a VAGINAL hysterectomy? I didn't expect that since my surgery didn't involve any incisions. I have no other after effects (pain, leaking urine, bleeding...nada), but I have a bloated puffiness that doesn't seem to want to go away. I'm not trying to be vain, but bikini season is almost upon us, and I would like a little reassurance as to when it might go away....or if I need to make my appointment for lipo now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-29-2007, 10:01 AM

Welcome to swelly belly land! Yes, even with a TVH, you will still have it. I'm 10 weeks out and still have it, especially if I overdo myself. I have seen were women comment that even several months out they still have it. You won't be seeing me in a bathing suit this year!!!!!

Best of luck to you

Wendy
Unread 03-29-2007, 10:41 AM

I'm 5 weeks out and have bloating, swelling and fullness. Some days are better then others. My weight is down, but my pants are tight. Evenings are the worst. I'd like to pop it with a pin to deflate! lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-29-2007, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfishy2007
I'm 5 weeks out and have bloating, swelling and fullness. Some days are better then others. My weight is down, but my pants are tight. Evenings are the worst. I'd like to pop it with a pin to deflate! lol
LOL!!! I feel exactly the same way
Unread 03-29-2007, 11:19 AM

I had TVH too and about 4 1/2 weeks post-op, and yes, the swelly belly is there. It seems to have gotten worse this week as I have been more active. I go back to work next week and spend lots of time on my feet, so I'm expecting it to get even worse! Oh well, gave me an excuse to go shopping for clothes that wouldn't cut into my waist or belly (thank god for low-riders)...gotta find a silver lining in any cloud! I looked briefly at the swimsuits and then thought better of it. I'm like you wickedwoman, won't be in a bathing suit this year!

Take care!
Unread 03-29-2007, 11:26 AM

We spend alot of time at the lake during the summer, dh just read this and said.....oh yeah you will be in a bathing suit, I don't care how big your belly is....men, gotta love em
Unread 03-29-2007, 11:37 AM
You're kidding?!

Nooooooooo...is this true? I had no idea that my horribly enlarged tummy was actually "swelly belly". I thought that I had just gained a ton of weight from not being active the past ten days. I don't know if I'm upset or relieved! lol

-Miette
Unread 03-29-2007, 03:42 PM

wickedwoman - yeah, you gotta love those men...I was whining to my dh about it all and all he could ask was "when is the dr going to release you for everything again?" Knew what was on his mind!

hmmm...swelly belly or extra weight, I don't know miette. That is a tough call.

Take care sisters! At least we can all laugh about it (as long as it doesn't make it swell more!)
Unread 03-29-2007, 04:47 PM

I had no clue of the swelly belly. I wish my surgeon had prepared me. Some days it looks like I'm pregnant. How ironic! I can only stay positive and look at the big picture (no, not my belly...lol) and know this is only temporary.
Unread 06-12-2007, 05:43 PM

wickedwoman99,
so your roughly 5 months post-op.....do you still get a swelly belly after being active?
i'm a bit concerned this is NOT temporary, I'm only 5 weeks post-op and even though my recovery has been going great (i never felt as though i had major surgery), I wish I was farther along in my recovery. I'm looking for any information i can get about the swollen belly........temporary or permanent?
Thanks in advance for any reply you can offer.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register