Really 4 weeks of no heavy lifting?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Really 4 weeks of no heavy lifting?? Really 4 weeks of no heavy lifting??

Unread 03-30-2007, 01:37 AM
Really 4 weeks of no heavy lifting??

I am 1 week post LAVH and feel fantastic. I am finding it realy difficult to find enough to do without violating the 5 pound rule.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-30-2007, 04:06 AM

I think at 3 weeks, I could lift up to 15 pounds but really I don't think I did. I was so afraid of causing myself harm, I only wanted to go through this all once and then heal correctly.

That being said, I didn't really lift much over 30 pounds until I was 4 or 5 months.

Its wonderful that you are feeling good but I will tell you something my aunt told me right after my surgery. We harm ourselves most in our 3rd to 5th week Post-Op. Most assume this is because we just overdo it. And while that is certainly part of it, this is also the time in our recovery when all our internal stitches (there are 100's) are dissolving. Sometimes the healing of the body isn't quite as solid as the support the now disolving stitch was providing. This is why this time frame is so critical for healing.

Best wishes in your continued recovery,

Julie
Unread 03-30-2007, 05:12 AM

happy323

I'm glad you're feeling so great!

A hysterectomy, however, is major surgery. I think if you knew just how many internal stitches you have, you wouldn't want to lift anything at all! And, at just one week post-op, you really should be resting and not looking for things to do.

I was told to do nothing more strenuous than lift a mug of tea for 6 weeks! A little over-the-top, I know, but I think they were just trying to drum it into me that this was a huge deal and I must rest.

These initial weeks of healing are absolutely vital ~ you don't get them over again. The last thing you want are any complications or regrets. In the scheme of things, 4-6 weeks isn't really that long and it's a small price to pay for a smooth recovery.

So please rest and take good care of yourself!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-30-2007, 08:04 AM

I agree with poodle!! The reason I'm feeling so amazing now ,10 weeks post op ,is because I didn't do anything that would interfere with the healing of all the internal stitches.Was I bored,heck ya,but I'm very thankful for the choices I made early in my recovery.
Take it easy you're still early in your healing!
Unread 03-30-2007, 10:19 AM

I have to agree with all of you about the early healing stages. My LAVH was done 2/27/06. I am glad that I have taken it easy so to speak over the last 4 1/2 weeks. I am amazed at how fast 4 weeks went by! Not to wish the next few away....but I am looking forward to feeling great at 8 to 10 weeks post op (like Laurie)! My two biggest hurdles have been tiredness/exhaustion and pms symptoms, as my ovaries are still with me. I developed an ovarian cyst last week (painful) because my ovary wanted to ovulate. Now I am having pms. The poor babies haven't realized that mama took the dance floor away from them and there is no where for the ova to go anymore! The nurse told me this should subside after a few more 'periods'. lol

No matter how great you're feeling in that first week, REST! You'll be glad you did it!

Blessings to all,
LAVH 2/27/06 kept both ovaries
Mollie
Unread 03-30-2007, 10:35 AM

Oh I can relate to wanting to do more....I am going crazy over here...it's only been a week today...actually I was still under the knife at this time a week ago LOL...I feel good...but find that when I over do it just a litte...I pay for it at night....the belly swells and the aches just keep coming...crazy...but I agree totally that we NEED to rest, rest, rest, for 6 weeks.....we owe ourselves that much!

((hugs))

Angie
Unread 03-30-2007, 10:35 AM

I've got a touch of cabin fever, but I have not lifted more than a glass of water.
I've done dishes (no pots and pans) but a few here and there.

Pace yourself
Heal now
There's time later to do other things
Unread 03-30-2007, 11:12 AM

I'm 8 days post op and bored out of my mind as well. After the horror stories I've heard of doing too much to soon, I'm trying really hard to follow doctors orders. Sure beats repair surgery later on! Hang in there.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register